• Selous

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O'Connor

Votes: 21 67.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
.............. It's the ones who post pictures of a one hole group at 200 meters that scare the crap out of me. Because they represent us! Not saying it can't be done, I've seen it, but not with a hunting rifle/load.

I can always shoot a one hole group at any distance. I just have to stop at one for the group. :)

Whatever goof!

I said one hole group, not one shot group. Hence, one is not a group, multiple is a group.

Sage advice and great words to hunt by

Whatever goof!

I said one hole group, not one shot group. Hence, one is not a group, multiple is a group.

I can feel the love

Like many, I am going with O'Connor. If we are all wrong, then you can say.........................:E Confused:

We don't know Jack.............:P Elmer Fudd:

I gave it a day. Thanks for playing.

The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America, Outdoor Life 1967, Jack O'Connor.

I would like to add a friendly amendment to include:

7. A long range shot should not be taken if the range and wind is so great that when holding for the wind requires that you aim outside of the body of the animal.

So for my 300 win mag with 180 g bullets at 3100 fps a 10 mile per hour 90 degree wind gives me ~5.5 inches of drift at 300 yards (which is almost EXACTLY my drop of ~5.9 inches at 300 yards on a 2oo yard zero) ... which gives me a pretty ethical shot at 300 yards and up to a 10 mile per hour 90 degree crosswind.

I would like to add a friendly amendment to include:

7. A long range shot should not be taken if the range and wind is so great that when holding for the wind requires that you aim outside of the body of the animal.

So for my 300 win mag with 180 g bullets at 3100 fps a 10 mile per hour 90 degree wind gives me ~5.5 inches of drift at 300 yards (which is almost EXACTLY my drop of ~5.9 inches at 300 yards on a 2oo yard zero) ... which gives me a pretty ethical shot at 300 yards and up to a 10 mile per hour 90 degree crosswind.

I couldn't agree more, in 1992 at Camp Perry Ohio I won a national title and became a member of US National Civilian team based on my ability to dope the wind. In my opinion this skill has the greatest effect on rule #1, the shooters confidence. This confidence is gained thru many hours of practice, and not just practice but perfect practice, without this level of practice the shooters mind set changes from expect to hope and hoping to hit an animal is all the reason you need not to shoot.

I couldn't agree more, in 1992 at Camp Perry Ohio I won a national title and became a member of US National Civilian team based on my ability to dope the wind. In my opinion this skill has the greatest effect on rule #1, the shooters confidence. This confidence is gained thru many hours of practice, and not just practice but perfect practice, without this level of practice the shooters mind set changes from expect to hope and hoping to hit an animal is all the reason you need not to shoot.

I certainly don't have that expertise ... but my early shooting experience consisted of shooting across East Texas clear cuts where the wind was inconsistent and swirled to the level that it was impossible to "dope" ... although we certainly didn't use that term :)! ... and the distances were measured in paces instead of a laser rangefinder. And, our ballistics charts came on the back of the box. We probably read O'Connor's Rules or someone's quotes because we had a 300 yard limit on our practice. It didn't take too many practice days to notice the winds effect at 300 yards ... any wind in those hills more than doubled the size of groups at 300 yards.

and then we have.....

This should make you o_O:cry::A Vomit:

The above '338 Edge long range' video is total bullshit. If they want to play that long range shooting guessing game they should do it at the range. That wasn't hunting. It was an exercise in cruelty to an animal.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The above '338 Edge long range' video is total bullshit. If they want to play that long range shooting guessing game they should do it at the range. That wasn't hunting. It was an exercise in cruelty to an animal.

Just my 2 cents.

That video makes my blood boil.
A family affair to get a 14 year old to wound an animal, have a collective freak out that its wounded, and then go on to congratulate themselves when the animal finally succumbed.

When these idiots upload this stuff its no wonder the antis get riled up at the whole hunting community! There is no commonality between hunters and these types of "shooters".

And that Moose video is the PERFECT example of why we as hunters dont have to support it just because it is legal and someone wants to do it, because they like that particular kind of "hunting."

We all have to stick together my :S Censored:!

That moose video was not hunting, hunting is the art and skill of getting as close as possible to your game before you shoot and clearly that hunter could have moved much closer before shooting. What that video is, is an example of very poor judgement and even worse marksmanship. It's hard to have an intelligent debate with the anti's when idiots post videos like that.

I really don't understand the video. Wouldn't this have been easier and more fun with Tannerite? Why should a living creature be a part of what's essentially a game? What ethical and moral values are being taught here?

I feel very strongly that hunters should stick together and not try to impose our beliefs on each other. Having said that, this isn't hunting in my view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosefaShro

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.