Ruger Red Labels

Tag457

Reaction score
Any love for blued receiver fixed choke Red labels?

They have doubled in price since Ruger quit making them.

I had one when I was a kid. 20ga. Accounted for many a pheasant and duck. Bluing wore off the receiver almost immediately. Traded it for a mint Belgium Browning Auto-5 20ga 3” mag that I should have kept.

They were a beautiful firearm when they first came out, and many considered it the flagship of Rugers line. I knew several that trap and skeet shooters had put tens of thousands of rounds through, and they served hunters just as well.

Sadly, about 2015 there were some problems with quality control at Sturm Ruger, and I personally saw 3 new Red labels that came into the gun shop where I worked with barrels and ribs noticably curved to the left. Evidently, the barrels were screwed into the mono lock, the put into a fitting jig that had the barrels and ribs bent to the left. I saw no less than half a dozen that were the same way.

If you buy one, the older ones are probably better.

Have a friend in NY that bought one new (against my advice) and regrets it. Said he would have been better served burning the cash for warmth. I'll spare the details for the sake of those who love these shotguns.

Last I knew it was languishing on consignment at a gun shop while he moved on to a used Beretta Silver Pigeon that does nothing but go bang and drop birds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmbroseaDus

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg