Ruger 77/22 - Suppressed for nuisance wildlife

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Some time ago I was shopping for a really good .22lr. My conclusion was that the ruger 10 round magazine is absolutely the best capacity, most reliable feeding magazine choice. My second conclusion is I just don't like semi-auto 22lrs. Loads of complaints about failure to cycle with certain ammo when suppressed, they are noisy mechanically due to the autoloading nature of them.

So I set off to find a unicorn. A vintage, new in box, stainless all-weather 77/22 bolt action with the xytel boat paddle stock. That's about as good of a shooting iron for rough work as I could find.

I ended up getting one, I think I paid around $1400 for it which wasn't bad considering they started at $650 in the 1990s and ended up at a $1000 MSRP years ago.

Next step, the factory trigger is terrible, but timney has a drop in spring kit that made it just wonderful for $50.

A 4x fixed leupold scope was a great addition for reasonable money.

Tactical Solutions makes a wonderful suppressor compatible barrel that is now on clearance for $170. They are 16.5" overall length and fit in factory stocks, but the barrel is only 12" and the "cage" for the suppressor brings it to legal minimum rifle length. With all of the CCI branded ammo, they use a pistol powder that achieves about 90% of potential velocity in the first 12 inches so not a lot is lost.

Added a Banish 22 suppressor to it and its whisper quiet. We've been using it a lot lately to get rid of nuisance wildlife while we protect our deer, turkey, and food plots. Because we have a small amount of acreage, we need to ensure killing pests doesn't disturb the desirable wildlife that may be only a hundred yards away. It works well.

That concludes the story from other posts I put on this forum about 18 months ago.

Ruger all-weather stainless: $1400
Timney trigger spring: $50
Ruger offset stainless rings: $40
Tactical solutions barrel: $170
Leupold 4x scope: $150
M1 leather sling: $40
Banish 22 Suppressor: $650

All-in, $2500 for a reliable, totally quiet land management gun that doesn't spook the wildlife away.

Nice set up!
A good 22 is something every hunter should have. I always recommend Anschutz, out of the box it is ready. A quick cleaning and go shoot.
And they have left-hand guns!

I use a suppressed Brno model 2....mag capacity is up to whatever size you desire......
Quite, efficient little bastard.....$ 400 all in have 4 mags for it and it is accurate....

Nice set up!
A good 22 is something every hunter should have. I always recommend Anschutz, out of the box it is ready. A quick cleaning and go shoot.
And they have left-hand guns!

I've always wanted to mess with one. I had a cooper .22 briefly that I think was made by Anschutz. My only critique of the Anschutz is they are so much money, I wish they cost slightly more and had stunning wood. What's another $500 at that point?

The reason I chose the Ruger 77/22 was that it has infinite upgrades available. For example the plug-and-play suppressor caged barrel I bought and installed in minutes. There are headspacing kits for $10 that can enhance accuracy at the boltface as well. Is it Anschutz good for accuracy? No. Is it as reliable as possible for feeding and rugged use? Yes.

Purchased a Bergara BMR from @R&M FIREARMS it is the one that has the carbon fiber barrel. It is threaded, trigger is really good, it is accurate with cci standard velocity (sub moa). Off the sticks at 100 yards keeping them on a 2" round steel plate is no problem head shots on my pistol steel at 200 yards no issues with that ammo. I'm running KGM RF22 with mine. The whole rig with a 3X9 vortex scope and Harris bipod is right at 7#s.

It is one that I really like taking in the backyard.

I know it is not your style. For a plug and play rifle I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.

I've always wanted to mess with one. I had a cooper .22 briefly that I think was made by Anschutz. My only critique of the Anschutz is they are so much money, I wish they cost slightly more and had stunning wood. What's another $500 at that point?

The reason I chose the Ruger 77/22 was that it has infinite upgrades available. For example the plug-and-play suppressor caged barrel I bought and installed in minutes. There are headspacing kits for $10 that can enhance accuracy at the boltface as well. Is it Anschutz good for accuracy? No. Is it as reliable as possible for feeding and rugged use? Yes.

Anschutz are nice, they make better options today. Now saying that I know you are a blue and walnut kind of guy. Some of these actions are 700 footprint. So if someone had a nice stock that was inlet for a 700 action and a bottom metal for and AICS pattern mag. You could put one together.

Purchased a Bergara BMR from @R&M FIREARMS it is the one that has the carbon fiber barrel. It is threaded, trigger is really good, it is accurate with cci standard velocity (sub moa). Off the sticks at 100 yards keeping them on a 2" round steel plate is no problem head shots on my pistol steel at 200 yards no issues with that ammo. I'm running KGM RF22 with mine. The whole rig with a 3X9 vortex scope and Harris bipod is right at 7#s.

It is one that I really like taking in the backyard.

I know it is not your style. For a plug and play rifle I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.
Tell us more, I know nothing about them?

The Ruger magazine and its upgradeablity drew me to it. A ten round fool-proof internal magazine is its best selling point. What does your Bergara magazine look like? Does it work with a variety of ammo flawlessly? Is it a better version of a Ruger clone?

Anschutz are nice, they make better options today. Now saying that I know you are a blue and walnut kind of guy. Some of these actions are 700 footprint. So if someone had a nice stock that was inlet for a 700 action and a bottom metal for and AICS pattern mag. You could put one together.

I do like to buy once, cry once. I’d rather buy a $4000 22lr once and admire its walnut, express sights, and ebony grip cap for the next three generations than to own something cheap. I just haven’t seen a “dazzling” 22lr other than the Dakota 10 which isn’t suppressable and is single shot.

Tell us more, I know nothing about them?

The Ruger magazine and its upgradeablity drew me to it. A ten round fool-proof internal magazine is its best selling point. What does your Bergara magazine look like? Does it work with a variety of ammo flawlessly? Is it a better version of a Ruger clone?

20230719_153901.jpg

This is their BMR magazine, I'm at 800 rounds on it with no issues. Have tried a variety of different ammo. No issues with what I tested. I will say, the HV rounds are stupid loud with a can. Tried a few and stopped.

I do like to buy once, cry once. I’d rather buy a $4000 22lr once and admire its walnut, express sights, and ebony grip cap for the next three generations than to own something cheap. I just haven’t seen a “dazzling” 22lr other than the Dakota 10 which isn’t suppressable and is single shot.

20230719_154012.jpg

This is what my Rim-X uses. They are not cheap as far as mags go. 125 each. They are made of aluminum so you know where the money is going. As far building one, it is a 700 footprint action. They are about 1200 for the action, good barrel 425. Depending on what you want, it might take a while to wait on production. Then it would be sourcing a stock and bottom metal. Some nice ones are out there, just depends on what you want/like. I'm sure you know someone that can mount some irons for you. Would take a little imagination and a little money like anything else in life.

@rookhawk , thanks for sharing this post. Sounds like you've put together a phenomenal rifle, and I'm glad to hear about the extensibility of the 77/22 platform. I recently picked up this 2014 Ruger 77/22 from the preowned rack at my local Scheel's store; because I was drawn to the better than average walnut stock, it included a Leupold VX-2 6-18X scope with a fine target reticle, and was priced at a song. You're right, the triggers on these things are atrocious. Mine is a consistent 5 pounds, so I'm going to check out that Timney spring kit you mentioned.

My late father actually had one of these All Weather rifles in his collection with a laminated stock, but my older brother claimed that one. So I was very happy to find this one for my collection.

20230701_133158.jpg

BTW, it is my understanding that there is a slight difference between the Ruger 10/22 and the 77/22 ten round magazines, with the 10/22 having a slightly more rounded bottom; but i have also read that you can often use the 10/22 mags in a 77/22 with usually no issue.

Forty years ago a friend had a pig farm and with it came rat problems. I had a Ruger 77 270 Win and an RCBS bullet mould for 130 gr FN. I forget the load but I chronographed it at 800fps. It was about as loud as a target 22 LR but a deeper sound. the bullet was virtually silent as it travelled to a rat. Suppressors weren't allowed in those days- Night vision was also something exclusive to the military. The rats were smart so one chance per night was all we'd get at a rat in the light. It would be interesting to hunt the rats with a suppressed rifle that has night vision.

I’m not running a suppressor, but I really like my tikka t1x with 20” barrel, if I was running a suppressor they have a 16” barrel, have been impressed with this tikka

Forty years ago a friend had a pig farm and with it came rat problems. I had a Ruger 77 270 Win and an RCBS bullet mould for 130 gr FN. I forget the load but I chronographed it at 800fps. It was about as loud as a target 22 LR but a deeper sound. the bullet was virtually silent as it travelled to a rat. Suppressors weren't allowed in those days- Night vision was also something exclusive to the military. The rats were smart so one chance per night was all we'd get at a rat in the light. It would be interesting to hunt the rats with a suppressed rifle that has night vision.
There are some very entertaining videos on YouTube of rat hunting on a farm with a suppressed 22 and night vision, if you just do a search on there. There was one guy I watched who was just taking them out one after the other. :)

Last edited:
Very nice. I love those 77/22s. I’m looking at a .22mag setup at the moment. I leaning towards a Bergara. They are suppressor ready and use model 700 triggers so plenty of options if I want a trigger upgrade.

Very nice. I love those 77/22s. I’m looking at a .22mag setup at the moment. I leaning towards a Bergara. They are suppressor ready and use model 700 triggers so plenty of options if I want a trigger upgrade.

It will not be a quiet setup. Just shooting stingers out of BMR made me stop. I would have used earpro had I kept shooting. It was louder than my 10.5 AR with a can just to give you a reference.

I have an old Marlin 989 M2 22LR. Shoots great and have had it for about 50+ years. I've been thing about having the barrel threaded and trying a suppressor, but have read about problems associated with doing so.

...I purchased a Ruger 77/22 in 1990. Installed the following: Volquartsen trigger kit, bolt shims, and 10 shot magazine made especially for .22 shorts. Mounted a 4x Leupold scope, loaded up CCI CB short sub sonic ammo and have laid waste to numerous backyard critters. Mainly, long fuzzy tailed tree rats.
Sound level is, IMO about like an air rifle.

It’s sounds like you built the perfect squirrel rifle @rookhawk. Small game can be big fun.
I have a CZ 457 that does not look at all out of place next to pre 64 model 70s.

Some time ago I was shopping for a really good .22lr. My conclusion was that the ruger 10 round magazine is absolutely the best capacity, most reliable feeding magazine choice. My second conclusion is I just don't like semi-auto 22lrs. Loads of complaints about failure to cycle with certain ammo when suppressed, they are noisy mechanically due to the autoloading nature of them.

So I set off to find a unicorn. A vintage, new in box, stainless all-weather 77/22 bolt action with the xytel boat paddle stock. That's about as good of a shooting iron for rough work as I could find.

I ended up getting one, I think I paid around $1400 for it which wasn't bad considering they started at $650 in the 1990s and ended up at a $1000 MSRP years ago.

Next step, the factory trigger is terrible, but timney has a drop in spring kit that made it just wonderful for $50.

A 4x fixed leupold scope was a great addition for reasonable money.

Tactical Solutions makes a wonderful suppressor compatible barrel that is now on clearance for $170. They are 16.5" overall length and fit in factory stocks, but the barrel is only 12" and the "cage" for the suppressor brings it to legal minimum rifle length. With all of the CCI branded ammo, they use a pistol powder that achieves about 90% of potential velocity in the first 12 inches so not a lot is lost.

Added a Banish 22 suppressor to it and its whisper quiet. We've been using it a lot lately to get rid of nuisance wildlife while we protect our deer, turkey, and food plots. Because we have a small amount of acreage, we need to ensure killing pests doesn't disturb the desirable wildlife that may be only a hundred yards away. It works well.

That concludes the story from other posts I put on this forum about 18 months ago.

Ruger all-weather stainless: $1400
Timney trigger spring: $50
Ruger offset stainless rings: $40
Tactical solutions barrel: $170
Leupold 4x scope: $150
M1 leather sling: $40
Banish 22 Suppressor: $650

All-in, $2500 for a reliable, totally quiet land management gun that doesn't spook the wildlife away.
Have something similar if cheaper. My daylight armadillo and squirrel rifle is a Performance Center suppressed M&P S&W 15-22 with target trigger and Trijicon Scope. It has match accuracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KayleighFa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you