cknwax

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa Zimbabwe
I leave for Africa in 11 days. I was notified by my travel agency today that we can no longer enter RSA with a vaccination card unless it has a QR code on it. Also if you get a test it must have a QR code. I’m looking to find a test site that will do a test with the QR code. I was told by Walgreens and CVS they will not do QR codes on test or vaccination cards. Looks like the fun begins!

You're right, and I had a big problem with this issue. 30 States offer certified vax cards. Maybe yours is one of them. Check by looking us "Smart Card" or "AFAR" websites by googling them. If Tx is one of the providing States, you can get your proof from them..............otherwise PCR. (And I would PCR anyway for back up).....good luck....................FWB

CA does this. I have it on my phone as an image.

OP,

This might be the place you need. Ive never been here but if this is a new requirement for the testing, ill be in the same boat come October

Who dreams this up?…
QR Codes inhibit the scammers.

Policy changes with little or no notice are not very conducive to aiding travellers.

I understand the reasoning, but with a lead time for travelers…..assinine. Somewhat of a challenge to get a QR or smart card in 24 hours prior to departure or in transit. Where was this policy when Covid was running full speed, now that it is subdued the requirements are more strict for entry. SA is truly in need of adult leadership. Is our Embassy so inept that they are a totally worthless entity in SA that they are not aiding travelers in this dog and pony show. Think of the photo safari clientele at this time of year..future travelling blue hairs with sun hats totally clueless anticipating sitting in a 12 seat bakkie looking for a lion on a sunny afternoon in Kruegard. Smart cards. You kidding me.

Last edited:
I leave for Africa in 11 days. I was notified by my travel agency today that we can no longer enter RSA with a vaccination card unless it has a QR code on it. Also if you get a test it must have a QR code. I’m looking to find a test site that will do a test with the QR code. I was told by Walgreens and CVS they will not do QR codes on test or vaccination cards. Looks like the fun begins!
Just confirmed with this location that they do rapid pcr with qr code for travel. Kinda far from Waxascratchie but you may want to call up your local urgent cares and see if they provide this
94629A8C-9495-479A-9672-F09BF5DAA735.png

I understand the reasoning, but with a lead time for travelers…..assinine. Somewhat of a challenge to get a QR or smart card in 24 hours prior to departure or in transit. Where was this policy when Covid was running full speed, now that it is subdued the requirements are more strict for entry. SA is truly in need of adult leadership.
So are we!

Mark. I leave Monday. GenView Diagnosis just south of Intercontinental airport offers PCR test with QR code. I’ve used them before, although I never paid attention to QR code or not. I used 10 hour results last time as it was free to me. Got results in 2. Your mileage may vary. I know they offer 2, 5 or 10 hour results.

I understand the reasoning, but with a lead time for travelers…..assinine. Somewhat of a challenge to get a QR or smart card in 24 hours prior to departure or in transit. Where was this policy when Covid was running full speed, now that it is subdued the requirements are more strict for entry. SA is truly in need of adult leadership. Is our Embassy so inept that they are a totally worthless entity in SA that they are not aiding travelers in this dog and pony show. Think of the photo safari clientele at this time of year..future travelling blue hairs with sun hats totally clueless anticipating sitting in a 12 seat bakkie looking for a lion on a sunny afternoon in Kruegard. Smart cards. You kidding me.
Where was this policy when RSA said that fully vaccinated travellers with a vaccination CARD didn't need a PCR test? I don't know ANYBODY that has a QR code on their vaccination card issued from anywhere including their doctors' office. Unbelievable and at the LAST moment!

You're right, and I had a big problem with this issue. 30 States offer certified vax cards. Maybe yours is one of them. Check by looking us "Smart Card" or "AFAR" websites by googling them. If Tx is one of the providing States, you can get your proof from them..............otherwise PCR. (And I would PCR anyway for back up).....good luck....................FWB
Another $250 for a PCR test, even though fully vaccinated! Incredible!

I'd post my smart health card but someone may be able to pull some information off of it that I don't want out there.

I pulled up the QR code on it but it was all jibberish to me.

This is on a card from Colorado Department of Health app that we have here in Colorado

QR Codes inhibit the scammers.

Policy changes with little or no notice are not very conducive to aiding travellers.
It seems like the "scam" to me is RSA changing this at the last minute. I JUST spoke with my travel agent last Thursday and NO mention of this. She told me only a vaccination card was required. If this hadn't popped up here, I would have never known about it.

Someone in SA just wanting to sell Covid tests. Little kickback here and there. Easy peasy.

It seems like the "scam" to me is RSA changing this at the last minute. I JUST spoke with my travel agent last Thursday and NO mention of this. She told me only a vaccination card was required. If this hadn't popped up here, I would have never known about it.
I hope to have a spin around the RSA government websites and see what they have to say.

If they accept the Smart Health Cards that will be fairly easy to get for most people. Not all states have them though. I am curious though if it will need to be a printed copy or if the digital version works fine. I plan on going down to Walgreens in the next couple of days to get a printed version of mine just in case. But I will have a few options for them to look at in case they don't like one, they can look at 4 other different forms of proof :LOL:

I don't support it, but I understand why. Our CDC cards look like they were filled out by a 4 year old.

I was able to bet vaccine certification with QR codes from our health providers website. I called several test sites about QR codes for tests and none had them. I do know that if you use the eMed at home test with online proctor, you will get a QR code. We have used it several times going back and forth to Colombia.

Here is what I posted earlier on the other covid travel thread:
We are trying to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. We are vaccinated x3. We got PCR tests this morning and the lab said "no QR codes".

Most state health departments, big chain pharmacies and many health providers use websites and apps that will provide a QR code that verifies your vaccines. I downloaded a QR code verification to Apple Wallet and printed a hard copy from our medical provider's website and app. Then I went to Walgreens and did the same thing just out of curiosity. Fairly easy even for someone like me that thinks the "n" in Ranger stands for "knowledge". :LOL:

We fly tomorrow so I will let ya'll know how it went when we get to Africa Sky on Saturday.

Safe travels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
immediatebtc

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.