RIP Jimmy Buffet

I remember seeing his Albatros at Sun 'n Fun in Lakeland. IIRC, it had a bar with rum on the counter. One of my buds went west last Sunday at 74, both of them gone too young.

God’s own Drunk - one of my favorite Buffet tunes of all time… I think I’ll go listen to it now in remembrance, and have a couple of margaritas tonight after dinner

Little known fact about Buffet…he and his original band mate Greg Taylor met as fraternity brothers (Kappa Sigma) at Southern Miss..

This was after he attended Auburn as a freshman, pledged a different fraternity, but dropped out and transferred to Southern Miss..

Had that drop and transfer not happened, the Coral Reefer Band would likely have sounded a bit different…

He rambled up over the hillside expecting me to do one of two things - flip or fly - I didn't do either and it hung him up... he started sniffing aroudn my body trying to smell fear but he aint gonna smell no fear cause I was God;s own drunk and fearless man!

He out-Lord Buckleyed Lord Buckley on that ...love that song...

In the same vein as the perpetual playing of "I Saw the Rain Down in Africa" on the Namibian coast, maybe someone should set up a solar charger somewhere in Key West and play 'Margaritaville" in perpetuity.

This a link from NOLA.com, the quintessential New Orleans La (NOLA) news site regarding Jimmy Buffet. Look up NOLA.com for a great read on Jimmy Buffet. He loved the city, the Gulf Coast and performed to that.

My first Jimmy Buffet live concert was at New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, when I was at LSU, circa 1987-88.

Unforgettable. Jimmy knew the crowd and played music for them.

Jazz Fest, New Orleans, the Gulf Coast, He brought happiness to a lot of people.

Vaya con Dios

He was on a rerun of Hawaii Five 0 last night as an old HH, or MH (not sure) (54) pilot still hanging out in Vietnam (or one of the neighboring countries) spending his time with margaritas ever since the war. McGarrett hired him to carry the Five 0 task force (and a couple of retired SEALS of course) into the jungle to rescue one of the captured task force members. Was originally on about 7 or 8 years ago.

I will miss him stared listening to him about 1975, saw him in concert many times. What a true entertainer never a bad show and was much loved. Rest in peace.

While a student, I had chance to go to a Jimmy Buffet Concert in the Montana State University Field House back in October of 1979. Being a Buffet fan from Montana, two of my favorite songs are Livingston Saturday Night and Ringling, Ringling! Once a Parrot Head, Always a Parrot Head! RIP Jimmy Buffet

We escaped the Oklahoma heat this week and met family in the mountains. Last night I was grilling hamburgers. As I put cheese on them I started singing “cheeseburger in paradise” very poorly. We had a discussion on Jimmy Buffet songs.

This morning was surreal as I read the news.

The musicians of our generation are leaving us. Fortunately their music lives on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you