Rimmed (only) Cartridges

303 - just a great cartridge magazine or bolt action - got 3 rifles in this .
375 H&H flanged magnum ( the other 375 H&H magnum - brilliant on water buff.
450/400 3” NE - another ripper on buff - got 2 rifles in this .
500NE - has some real authority - got a double in this and another coming from Rigby .
600NE - great to shoot - penetrates like you wouldn’t believe . One’s enough .

Does the 9.3x74r equal the 375 H&H? Forgive me for being uneducated .

No equal the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum, but similar with the cartridge 9,3x62. Both cartridges are a little behind the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum in terms of performance. Nevertheless, you can still shoot buffalos with the cartridge 9,3x74R to a limited extent.

See #60

I use a couple of rimmed cartridges, the usage depends on the game I want to hunt.
.22 WMR
5,6x57 R
5,6x61 R SE vH
7x65 R
7x75 R SE vH

Calibers.jpg

Does the 9.3x74r equal the 375 H&H? Forgive me for being uneducated .
No. It is a .366 projectile. Often referred to as a “.375 lite”. With commercial cartridges loaded with 232-300 gr bullets it runs ~3500-3800 f.p.’s. Just shy of 5400 J (3983 fp’s).

No. It is a .366 projectile. Often referred to as a “.375 lite”. With commercial cartridges loaded with 232-300 gr bullets it runs ~3500-3800 f.p.’s. Just shy of 5400 J (3983 fp’s).
That is shithot.....

30-30
45-70
450-400 NE
The 30-30 was the first rifle I bought as a teenager, killed my first deer with it.
I took my 45-70 on my first two trips to South Africa, took a number of plains game with it.
Used my #1 in 450-400 on my last trip to kill my first buffalo.

No equal the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum, but similar with the cartridge 9,3x62. Both cartridges are a little behind the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum in terms of performance. Nevertheless, you can still shoot buffalos with the cartridge 9,3x74R to a limited extent.

See #60
So you can use the 9.3x74r for Cape Buffalo.? I was told that the cartridge had to be 375 H&H and up. At least for South Africa.

So you can use the 9.3x74r for Cape Buffalo.? I was told that the cartridge had to be 375 H&H and up. At least for South Africa.

An eternal discussion on many forums.

The legal minimum in many African countries is the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum, but the cartridges caliber 9,3mm seem to be tolerated. For me, all of these medium calibers were always just an alternative for big game hunting when nothing else was available. I support the use of much bigger calibers for hunting big and dangerous game, rimmed or not.

The legal minimum in many African countries is the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum, but the cartridges caliber 9,3mm seem to be tolerated. For me, all of these medium calibers were always just an alternative for big game hunting when nothing else was available. I support the use of much bigger calibers for hunting big and dangerous game, rimmed or not.
Agree 100% .

The 9.3 is “tolerated” due to the long historical usage most notably in former German colonies. The acceptance does not cross over necessarily in former British, Portuguese,Belgian and French colonial possessions. Even today, the 9.3 is quite popular for driven hunts(mostly hogs) in Germany/eastern Europe.

22 LR
22 Hornet
6.5x57R
7x57R
7x65R
9.3x74R

All favourites especially the Germans.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.