Rigby Mopani 450 Rigby Rifle

Did a bit of load development today with 500 grain Woodleighs, in my previous 450 Rigby I had used 550 grain and 480 grain Woodleighs.

500 Grain Woodleigh RNSN
Norma Brass
Federal 215 LRM primers
105 grains of ADI AR2209 powder
Averaged 2372fps and 3 shots into 0.7" at 50 metres
slightly low and to the left, not sure if thats the regulation or my sight picture, or a combination of the 2. It was regulated with 480 grain Hornady projectiles, either way I'm very happy with the accuracy.
Still debating whether I stay with the irons or have a red dot fitted, I have alot of time before my first hunt with this rifle so plenty of time to think about it.

1703654013731.jpeg

Got to be happy with that. (y)

Was it just availability (or lack thereof) that had you change to the lighter pills?

Got to be happy with that. (y)

Was it just availability (or lack thereof) that had you change to the lighter pills?
I've still got 480's and 550's, but got quite a few 500's as well so I thought I might as well work a load up with them. Might use the 500 grain load on the next buffalo hunt, even if I don't I've worked up a load and the option is there now.

I've still got 480's and 550's, but got quite a few 500's as well so I thought I might as well work a load up with them. Might use the 500 grain load on the next buffalo hunt, even if I don't I've worked up a load and the option is there now.

Good to have a few options while Woodleighs are still in short supply.
(y)

How would you fit it?
I am pretty sure you wouldn't drill&tap the receiver..
Push the rear sight out and have a mount made for a red dot, I know 2 people that have already done it with their Rigby's. You can then push the red dot mount out and put the rear iron sights back in at anytime.

So I knew this rifle would be amazing but I completely underestimated how nice this specific rifle is and how nice the Mopani series of rifles are in general. This thing is unbelievable, I could not be happier, and let me tell you photos do not do it justice. This could possibly be the nicest Rigby I have ever seen and I'm not just saying that because I own it. All though fancy limited edition is not usually my style I have to say that the rifle being number 1 of 12 is pretty cool.

View attachment 575699
View attachment 575700
View attachment 575701
View attachment 575702
View attachment 575703
View attachment 575704
View attachment 575705
View attachment 575706
View attachment 575707
View attachment 575708
What a beautiful rifle . I have a plain Jane PH in 450 Rigby . It is the best out of a box rifle I have ever owned . Very accurate and nicer to shoot than the 416 Rigby Big Game . Mine really likes the 500 grain RNSN at 2350 fps . Devastating on water buff. Would only contemplate 550 grain pills in solids for elephant . I just love single square bridge Rigby rifles with flag safeties. Rigby are really turning out some nice rifles.

What a beautiful rifle . I have a plain Jane PH in 450 Rigby . It is the best out of a box rifle I have ever owned . Very accurate and nicer to shoot than the 416 Rigby Big Game . Mine really likes the 500 grain RNSN at 2350 fps . Devastating on water buff. Would only contemplate 550 grain pills in solids for elephant . I just love single square bridge Rigby rifles with flag safeties. Rigby are really turning out some nice rifles.
Is the difference in felt recoil between the cartridges or some other difference between the rifles?

Is the difference in felt recoil between the cartridges or some other difference between the rifles?
It is hard to say why they feel different . The 450 PH is marginally heavier . Both bullets are travelling about the same speed . Barrel on 450 is heavier than on 416. The 2 rifles have been fired by a very noted big game rifle / cartridge book author and a fellow who has a huge collection of dangerous game rifles . Both were surprised by the difference . Above all the 450 PH is really accurate certainly out to 150 yards which is as far as I can shoot without a scope .

SSB PH or Big Game- 22"heavy stepped barrel in both 416 and 450
DSB PH or Big Game- 24" lighter profile barrel in 375, 416 and 450 (until recently used to be 375 & 416 only no 450)
That's the only difference, any other differences are cosmetic only.

For me the combination of the heavy stepped 22" barrel and the 450 calibre is perfect. I haven't fired a DSB with the lighter profile 24" barrel but I have handled one and it feels ok but I much prefer the configuration with the shorter heavier barrel.

SSB PH or Big Game- 22"heavy stepped barrel in both 416 and 450
DSB PH or Big Game- 24" lighter profile barrel in 375, 416 and 450 (until recently used to be 375 & 416 only no 450)
That's the only difference, any other differences are cosmetic only.

For me the combination of the heavy stepped 22" barrel and the 450 calibre is perfect. I haven't fired a DSB with the lighter profile 24" barrel but I have handled one and it feels ok but I much prefer the configuration with the shorter heavier barrel.
My 450 PH is a SSB with heavy 22” barrel . The 416 Big Game is also SSB with peep sights. It has the lighter 24” barrel. I can only think the lighter barrel makes the difference in felt recoil . It is really noticeable .

IMG_2675.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shoppursuecom

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.