Rigby Mopani 450 Rigby Rifle

My 450 PH is a SSB with heavy 22” barrel . The 416 Big Game is also SSB with peep sights. It has the lighter 24” barrel. I can only think the lighter barrel makes the difference in felt recoil . It is really noticeable .
Oh really your SSB 416 has the 24"barrel? I've never seen that before. When was it made?

I got it in early 2022. At the time I ordered a PH with 24” barrel , SSB and a few extras including a peep sight and gold escutcheon with my initials . As you know extras are not available on PH models . I was quietly waiting for someone to contact me to say I would have to upgrade to a Big Game . Anyway the rifle turned up as I had ordered but with Big Game case hardening , upgraded timber , peep sight etc . No extra charge over a PH other than for the peep sight . A lot of extras . Dave Auger did tell me at the time that I had been very lucky .

My take on why the 450 Rigby is easier to shoot is that the escaping gases have a 458 hole to go through so it is more of a shove than thump. I have fired-many years ago- a 458 of some description, a wildcat I believe, with more power than a Lott and it kick was not as vicious as the 416 Rigby.

Mind you powders can/do play a part. I use 96 grains of AR2209 in my 416Rigby. When I tried a slower powder AR2213SC, 106 grains, it kicked like a mule. Even when I tried 98 grains of the AR2213SC it still kicked worse than the AR2209.

My take on why the 450 Rigby is easier to shoot is that the escaping gases have a 458 hole to go through so it is more of a shove than thump. I have fired-many years ago- a 458 of some description, a wildcat I believe, with more power than a Lott and it kick was not as vicious as the 416 Rigby.

Mind you powders can/do play a part. I use 96 grains of AR2209 in my 416Rigby. When I tried a slower powder AR2213SC, 106 grains, it kicked like a mule. Even when I tried 98 grains of the AR2213SC it still kicked worse than the AR2209.
I use both the 2209 ( mainly ) and 2213SC but can’t recall the effect when shooting . Suspect the 2209 was my preference because I seem to buy a lot of it .

What is symbolic or where did the "Gold Oval" come from, underneath the stock on well-built bolts?

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.