Reloading Slug

philip in china

AH senior member
Reaction score
Can 12 bore slug be successfully reloaded? If so does anybody have any comments to make?

Can 12 bore slugs be cast at home or should I buy them ready made? Again any comments please.

12 gauge slugs can be reloaded. I have no experience with them though. I buy them when they are on sale. Sorry I couldn't be more help on the subject. Shotgun hunting for whitetail deer is huge in the Midwest of USA. I can hit a 12 in plate everytime at 200 yds. with a rest and my custom shotgun.

12 guage slugs can be reloaded sucessfully. A friend of mine cast his own slugs with great results. I tried a few and they did shoot pretty good. I'm considering it as shotgun slugs are getting ridiculously expensive here in Wisconsin! The slugs he reloaded were quite accurate.

Metal used

Would you use a hardened bullet metal. I used to use about 1 part of linotype to 2 or 3 parts of lead. As the lead was largely bullets dug out I was aware that my bullets were getting harder all the time so eventually went on to just recycling old ones. How green and eco friendly can you get?

Hello;
Sorry for the late reply, but I just found the thread. Yes, 12 gauge slugs can be reloaded....I've molds for both the LEE and the LYMAN 12 gauge shotgun slugs; the LEE is a foster-type slug with a 'driving band' on the inside...the LYMAN is a wasp-waisted style slug. The LEE comes in 7/8 and 1 oz weights, while the LYMAN weighs (IIRC) 1 1/16 oz.
Both are loaded in a plastic shot cup (they take the place of the shot), and can use a folded crimp, which makes things a bit easier. I haven't used them, but you an get Gulandi dangerous game slugs from BPI and load them with a roll crimp.
Both slugs are suppose to shoot better out of a rifled bore than a smooth bore, but I"ve found that the Lyman is a better slug for rifled bores. I have some somewhat accurate loads for the LEE slugs, but they aren't any more accurate than some of the factory foster slugs I've used (as a matter of fact, some of the factory foster slugs are more accurate). I've probably duplicated the accuracy of sabot slugs with the Lyman.
I spent one Sunday afternoon shooting 160 slugs of 12 & 16 gauge persuasion, both factory and handload.....man, I needed some Ben-Gay for a few days after that!
As far as the lead goes, LEE recommends pure lead (no tin or alloy) for their slugs, and I think Lyman does the same, but I can't remember for sure. Hulls with a large internal capacity did better with the LEE, and the Lyman did well with the Remington Unibody hulls.
That's all I can remember off the top of my head.....hope it helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildkatr

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross