Reloading question for cases

soumya sarkar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I used once fired Federal cases that originally had TBBC bullets. After sizing I used for tests a Hornady and Woodlegh bullets both 500 grains. I see a slight case formation where I presume the bullet ends or bottom of the bullet. I do not see that with Barnes cases and TSX bullets which are longer.
Any ideas? Thanks for your help and advice

IMG_3193.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Case neck wall thickness, some are thicker and some are thinner.

You can get a case neck trimmer to use and make all your cases uniform if you like.

You can get a case neck trimmer to use and make all your cases uniform if you like.
Could you please elaborate , I measured all the case length and they are uniform.

I guess these are same to fire?

I think what JimP is trying to say is there are neck thickness trimmers which are sold as an accessory to care trimmers. Cases from different manufacturers can have no only length variation, but thickness variation as well. It's not uncommon for cases to bulge if the neck thickness is excessive, especially after a few firings

Some prefer outside neck turning, some prefer inside neck turning. If you have sizing dies like Redding that have various rings for the outside of the neck, then trim the inside . If you have dies that do a good job of sizing the inside of the neck, trim the outside. My bet is that having a uniform neck thickness will solve your problem.

Last edited:
Also check the expander ball. Make sure it's on straight or not damaged. But as soumya said the brass thickness can be a issue. Simply what's happening is your bringing the neck down and it's not being expanded back up for a few possible reasons. Ie, expander, brass thickness, maybe even incorrect bullet, could be a few things. Measure the brass thickness measure the bullets, measure the case mouth after sizing comparing other brands of brass. ECT

Use some dry lube on the bullet. The wrinkle will fade. Neck turning for close range big bores is completely unnecessary.
The tsx has a slightly easier to seat profile than the Woodleigh. The Woodleigh is true flat base as where the tsx has a little role on the base that doesn't show the seating line in the case. If dry lube doesn't fix the problem annealing would be the next step to try to get a clean seat.

Last edited:
Looks like case bulging caused by the load being too compressed. I have experienced that with some powders and 500 grain bullets. My Barnes loads don’t do it because imo the TAC powder I use on those seems to compress easier. The bulging can affect chambering too. Good news is I have pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and resized them and have been able to then load a Barnes or different powder with that case so it doesn’t have to mean a scrapped case. I tried different powders and found combinations that don’t have that problem. Seating depth would prevent it as most grooves on popular bullets are shorter than max c.o.a.l. but I want a crimped case on the groove.

I have both Redding and RCBS dies, I used Redding on these to size, deprime, and seat. I have a Forrester Case trimmer, what I'm hearing is they have a tool to trim the case neck(inside,outside). Anyone have a part no. or name please?

Since the cartridges have been loaded, can I test fire them one time? It should be safe but want to confirm?
they will shoot fine. The line you are seeing is just a slight difference between the diameter you sized to and the diameter the bullet swaged the neck to as it was seated. As long as they chamber you can fire them. Try some dry lube and let us know how it works.

Last edited:
Looks like case bulging caused by the load being too compressed. I have experienced that with some powders and 500 grain bullets. My Barnes loads don’t do it because imo the TAC powder I use on those seems to compress easier. The bulging can affect chambering too. Good news is I have pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and resized them and have been able to then load a Barnes or different powder with that case so it doesn’t have to mean a scrapped case. I tried different powders and found combinations that don’t have that problem. Seating depth would prevent it as most grooves on popular bullets are shorter than max c.o.a.l. but I want a crimped case on the groove.
Thanks for your response, I do not think these are compressed as I'm using RL 85 Grains and a Kynoch wad filler to fill the gap.
I loaded Barnes with Barnes bullet with much more compressed loads (H4350) with no issues.

Attachments

• Standard Neck Reamers - Forster Products.pdf
    250.9 KB · Views: 9
Turning the neck is completely unessicary. I shoot old school bench rest 6mm ppc I know about turning necks. Check the dimension of your components if you get your calipers out and start taking measurements you'll find your issue

Your body and neck size in your sizer die is sizing the neck down,..easiest way to solve this is to buy a case neck expander die, and run a separate operation with that before you complete brass prep. I actually do that operation before I measure and trim.

My experience is as JimP and D.M.V have stated different brass - different neck wall thickness and/or bullet diameter variations, especially with bonded bullets.

IMO, as long as cartridge is within C.O.A.L., the correct powder and powder weights is used, inspect to ensure there is any fine cracks or splits, nicks, dents brass burrs, any other damage around the neck and on shouldered brass also inspect for any deformation to the shoulder.

After inspection of cartridge and everything checks out ok I set the round aside and mark it as target/range ammo.

I use the factory looking reloads for check/ sighting in iron sights and scopes then switch over to the target/ range ammo because if I have any "flyers" it doesn't really matter so much as I'm just wanting to get use to shooting the firearm and shooting technique.

I also keep my spent reloaded target/ range brass separated from my reloaded looking factory brass till after returning home where I can do a more rigorous inspection of the target/ range brass for any excess stress, damage, or distortion around the neck and shoulder areas.

All of my bad brass is but into a 5 gallon bucket along with the brass I periodically pick up at the range left by other shooters. When the bucket gets full I take the bucket to a salvage/ recycling/ scrap yard and sell it.

I remember earlier in my reloading career. This happened to me with some 45acp loads I didn't bell the mouth out enough and I got this result and remember thinking the same thing. What happened!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelisaWech

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?