Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Eastern Cape, SA; KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX-USA
I currently have an early model 686 S&W .357 Magnum 6" ,and would like to have another revolver for shooting just .38 Special cartridges. More so a range revolver for mild shooting practice. The 686 I'd like to keep to .357 Mag cartridges to not have to scrub carbon rings out of the cylinder. I have a good supply of .38 Special cases, primers and lead bullets for reloading. I'm interested in thoughts/opinions on some good revolver choices that members here like. I appreciate hearing from you. Thanks in advance!
I'm thinking along the lines of a K-frame S&W revolver, 6" barrel. Something to share with family when shooting without noticeable recoil.

Last edited:
Brother had some kind of Smith & Wesson police pistol with an adequately long barrel. It was accurate for everyone who tried it! I don't understand why it refused to shoot down and to the left the way my auto does if I have any sympathetic fingers contributing to the trigger pull. It was 38 special. I on the other hand had a snub nose I could not hit the inside of a barn with.

If money is no issue, I would highly recommend a French Manurhin MR38 Match 5 ¾". They are imported in the US by Beretta. They cost a pretty penny, but speaking from experience when I was shooting Olympic 25 m in France (clarification: I was shooting the discipline, I was NOT in the Olympics ;)), and speaking from universal reckoning as well, this is probably THE BEST .38 revolver in the world, bar none, including the Python and the S&W K-38 Target Masterpiece. I almost always outscored my Walther GSP .32 (not a bad piece of ordnance itself !!!) with my friend's MR38... :cry:

The more common version is the MR73 Sport, chambered in .357 but just as accurate with .38 loads, although its rear sight is less refined (but more rugged), and also known as the strongest .357 Magnum revolver in the world.

The production MR 73 acceptance test is 6 rounds in 20 mm (~3/4") at 25 meters (~27 yards).

1714102358882.png

1714102924234.png

Last edited:
If money is no issue, I would highly recommend a French Manurhin MR38 Match 5 ¾". I believe that they are imported in the US by Beretta. They cost a pretty penny, but speaking from experience when I was shooting Olympic 25 m in France (clarification: I was shooting the discipline, I was NOT in the Olympics ;)), and speaking from universal reckoning as well, this is probably THE BEST .38 revolver, bar none, including the Python. I almost always outscored my Walther GSP .32 (not a bad piece of ordnance itself !!!) with my friend's MR38... :cry:

The more common version is the MR73 Sport, chambered in .357 but just as accurate with .38 loads, although its rear sight is less refined (but more rugged), and which is also known as the strongest .357 Magnum revolver in the world.
I've read reviews of the Manurhin, a bit above my expected price range. I should have specified that. From what I've read they are excellent revolvers. I've only seen one for sale in a gun shop. Thanks for mentioning this model, @One Day... the revolver I'd like to purchase will be an indoor and outdoor range plinker more than anything but good practice.
I previously had a 3" S&W Model 60 (grips too small), wanted a little larger grip area.

If your just looking for a pinker and wanting something like your S&W go with a Taurus. Taurus' is built off the obsolete S&W patients.

Ruger Security Six is another nice double action revolver.

For a single action there's Uberti or Ruger.

Smith and Wesson K14

Manurhin MR38 match

Sauer&Sohn SR3 Trophy

ZKR 551, 5.9'', 38 spl.

Some of them are no longer in production, but these for are medal scores in our national revolver championship.

Others in top 10 by score, are in caliber 357 mag, using 38 spl wad cutter ammo:
S&W 686 target champion, S&W 686 target international, ERMA ER777, Taurus M689.

All above are supposed to shoot group 1 inch at 25 meters, if the shooter does his part.

I would stick with a S&W it will be a better trigger either single or double action..
If it will be a range toy only stay with a 6" Barrel as it will give you a longer sight plain and hence better acfcuracy
If you look on Gunsinternational you will find a myriad of 38's stainless or blue

I had a Taurus 357MAG 6” stainless and fully lugged barrel. It was an exceptional shooter accounting for several GA hogs with 158 grain pills. At the time I couldn’t afford a S&W, so the Taurus was a good option for me.

Today I would probably go with a Kimber K6S Dasa Combat or Target. I know it’s not available in 38SPL, but a man can dream.
1714124654785.png

Taurus gets a bad rap but I think they are incredibly good value, especially for a plinker.
@Saul : I think Taurus’ deserve and have “earned” their Bad Rap…. Just because they can be fired and don’t blow up in your hand donesn’t make them a good value. You may have one of the better Taurus’ and they are a functional & adequate revolver but their action & trigger are a clear step below S&W, Ruger, Colt (Similar to a Colt with “sand, grit, & salt” in the action). You are correct they are cheaper then the better brands but you can buy a very good “used” S&W or Ruger —-50 years old— and it will likely be better (smooth action, cylinder timing, trigger pull) then New Taurus. Obviously my opinion is based on my limited experience (and I’m No expert gunsmith). I actually think the older Smith’s (pre 1990) are superior to many New S&W (possible exceptions are some S&W Custom Shop variants). I look for older “used” S&Ws in verygood/mint condition vs. New.…even though many good used cost as much or more then newer models. The internet is flooded with good deals on older excellent condition revolvers - just gotta look for them. I don’t mean to trash Taurus but I’m advocating buying a “used” model from a better brand.
I think of it this way: Taurus was never intended to be (and wasn’t built to be) a top quality firearm - it was designed and built to be a cheaper alternative to established revolvers…and it accomplished that objective. Also, when you think of fine firearms Brazil never comes to mind…but for a Fun time - ”Mardi Gras” in Brazil would be hard to beat !

I've considered a couple options with this topic before posing my question.
I think I have a 5 gallon bucket of fired .38 Special brass. I've considered selling or scrapping but honestly would like to utilize it as I have plenty of small pistol primers. I previously owned a Ruger Security 6 and Blackhawk, just didn't like how they fit in my hand. I really like the S&W 686 but would like a lighter revolver (not a fully lugged barrel).
I have considered a Taurus revolver, there seems to be plenty of varying opinions on those.

If it were me I would look for a k frame Smith with a 6" barrel. If for no other reason the trigger should feel just like the one that you already have. They are superb revolvers.

Load 38special in 357mag cases, buy more bullets and powder.
Thanks, I have considered this, wanting to use the large amount of .38 Special brass on hand.

@Saul : I think Taurus’ deserve and have “earned” their Bad Rap…. Just because they can be fired and don’t blow up in your hand donesn’t make them a good value. You may have one of the better Taurus’ and they are a functional & adequate revolver but their action & trigger are a clear step below S&W, Ruger, Colt (Similar to a Colt with “sand, grit, & salt” in the action). You are correct they are cheaper then the better brands but you can buy a very good “used” S&W or Ruger —-50 years old— and it will likely be better (smooth action, cylinder timing, trigger pull) then New Taurus. Obviously my opinion is based on my limited experience (and I’m No expert gunsmith). I actually think the older Smith’s (pre 1990) are superior to many New S&W (possible exceptions are some S&W Custom Shop variants). I look for older “used” S&Ws in verygood/mint condition vs. New.…even though many good used cost as much or more then newer models. The internet is flooded with good deals on older excellent condition revolvers - just gotta look for them. I don’t mean to trash Taurus but I’m advocating buying a “used” model from a better brand.
I think of it this way: Taurus was never intended to be (and wasn’t built to be) a top quality firearm - it was designed and built to be a cheaper alternative to established revolvers…and it accomplished that objective. Also, when you think of fine firearms Brazil never comes to mind…but for a Fun time - ”Mardi Gras” in Brazil would be hard to beat !
No doubt, almost any Smith, Colt, or Ruger will be a better overall gun. I only own one Taurus, though I am intrigued by their 605 and 905 lines.

I am also not a fan of the current crop from Smith or Colt, but as you pointed out, there are plenty of great ones to be had on the used market. However, if the OP cannot get a good deal on one and does not like Ruger, Taurus is an inexpensive option for a range gun.

When it comes to shooting for pure pleasure, how about a Colt?

The Colt Officer's Model Match is a sweetheart target revolver with a six inch heavy barrel and adjustable sights. And both the Peacemaker SAA and New Frontier were produced in .38 special, too, if a single action is to be considered.

Too good to be forgotten!

Manurhin MR38 match

HankBuck have you ever own or shot a Taurus?

You must be another troll.

I have owned 4 different Taurus' and still own two. I have own 2 different Charter Arms and still own one. I had a LLAMA. All of these firearms are manufactured in South America and all based off obsolete American firearm manufacturers patents.

Granted these firearms aren't as smooth from the factory, but they are equally built. Polish the burrs off and these firearms are smooth and reasonably accurate.

I own and shoot Magnum Research, Walthers, S&W, Colt, Ruger, Taurus, Charter Arms, and a double stack .45 ACP Para Ordinance. Having shot 100's of rounds out of each ofthese firearms I have found using the respective same type and caliber factory ammo in each one, they all shoot equally well.

Since the Taurus Judge is a popular firearm. Your "I think Taurus’ deserve and have “earned” their Bad Rap…." and Your "Just because they can be fired and don’t blow up in your hand..." insinuation that only lesser brand name firearms blow up in shooters hands is totally bogus.

I and I'm sure there are several members here on the forum whom have dealt with your kind who voice their opinions based on very limited internet research and possibly do minimal, as in maybe once, to give credence to "tall tales" to suggest "they" have more "experience" or "knowledge" than they actually have.

I have wasted enough time on you.

You are definitely a troll!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamebaidoithuong0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.