Recent Dip / Pack and shipping charges

Stubbleduck

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Timing and charges for my trophies taken last august (8/2023). Shipment is currently on a truck from Chicago to Minneapolis for arrival tomorrow 5/9/2024.

Salted skins etc. as listed below received 9/5/2023 by Trophy Solutions Africa (Polokwane, Limpopo) from Afrika Barrel and Bow Safaris.

#
DESCRIPTION
SKULL
HORN
SHLDR
BACK
FULL
FLAT
FEET
OTHER
(Plains Game; CITES; TOPS)
TUSK
CAPE
SKIN
CAPE
SKIN
1​
Buffalo
√​
2​
√​
2 Leg Bones, Scrotum​
2​
Honey Badger
√​
n/a​
√​
3​
Baboon, Chacma
√​
n/a​
4​
Zebra, Burchell's
√​
n/a​
√​
B/Jaw​
5​

Dip and Pack plus shipping to Johannesburg $1779.00

_________________________________________________________________________________

Shipment received by Condor Cargo Johannesburg 3/18/2024

Assorted paperwork and documentation plus air freight to Coppersmith in Chicago via Turkish Airlines $1466.33

____________________________________________________________________________________

Shipment received in Chicago by Coppersmith 4/11/2024.

Various import clearances and shipping to Minneapolis $1650.98

Shipment received by Taxidermy Unlimited (Burnsville, MN) 5/9/2024

The shipping to US and clearing looks normal to me, but the $1799 for dip and pack and shipping to Johannesburg seems outrageous on 4 trophies. I would have expected half that. How was that bill split between dip and pack and shipping to Johannesburg? I’ve never been charged additional for delivery to shipper because typically it’s done with other clients trophies.

So, you were charged $1650.98 by Coppersmith to clear this crate? Wow, these prices are getting crazy! Thanks for sharing!

Do you know your crate dimensions?

So, you were charged $1650.98 by Coppersmith to clear this crate? Wow, these prices are getting crazy! Thanks for sharing!
1715184091595.jpeg

I got mine a month or so ago from Zim. It was $7200 all the way from Zim to Woodbury taxidermy. That was a Buff skull and cape, with back skin, Kudu skull and cape also including back skin, Eland cape and skull, hyena full skin and skull, hippo, skull only, and an Impala skull and cape.

I forget what I just paid for Dip & Pack by Splitting Image for my May 2023 hunt with Western Safaris, but I think it was around $1000. It consisted on hides and horns for a White Blebok, a White Springbok and a Red Lechwe. Also included was the hide and four main teeth of a Warthog. Shipping on Turkish was $1500. I then paid ProCargo $1750 for crate clearance (no delays or issues). The raw materials now sit with the awesome @gizmo and Top of Texas Taxidermy.
In 2017, my really big crate containing five finished mounts (Kudu, Gemsbok, Warthog, Impala, Blue Wildebeest) cost about $1200 to ship from JNB. Hahn International handled the Customs clearance and delivery to my house for $750.
Sadly, I feel the days of taxidermizing stuff is coming to an end. I already have way too much to be honest. If I'm lucky enough to take a Limpopo Bushbuck with Dave Freeburn this June, I'll have that mounted. The Cape Buffalo will be a Euro. If I go after Hippo, Crocodile and Spotted Hyena in Zimbabwe in 2027, I'll have the Hyena mounted but the other two will be Euros.

I agree, other than hopefully a leopard on this next trip everything else will be pictures. I'm gonna be over $20K in shipping and taxidermy, and that is just ridiculous. I'm doing it one time with the stuff from my first trip and then that is it. It'll be pictures from here on out.

I’m just getting started on planning a hunt.
what kinda all in ballpark price am I looking at to get 1 of each from Johannesburg to Texas? Skull and cape of each…
Kudu
Wildebeest
Nyala
Warthog

I just had 24 animals shipped from JoBurg from our trip last summer. Dip/pack, crating, and shipping was just under $6,200. Still waiting to see what my fees are here when they clear customs.

what kinda all in ballpark price am I looking at to get 1 of each from Johannesburg to Texas? Skull and cape of each…
Kudu
Wildebeest
Nyala
Warthog

You can come close to what the dip and pack will be by looking at taxidermist in South Africa's web sites. Most of them list what they charge.

Actual shipping can be all over the place, but with that few of animals it shouldn't be too bad.

Kudu
Wildebeest
Nyala
Warthog

I would budget $4000 at a minimum for D&P, shipping and customs clearance. May be closer to $4500-5000

Just finally got all my stuff to my US tannery in Michigan from my RSA Jun 2023 trip. All dip and pack.
Splitting Image dip and pack
9 animals
2x Impala cape-skulls
2x Springbok cape-skulls
1x steenbok. LifeSize cape-skull
1x blesbok cape-skull
1x bushbuck. LifeSize cape-skull
1x kudu cape-skull
1x Sable. cape-skull
$2,010
Shipping from Johannesburg to JFK
$1,413
Clearing and shipping to Michigan from JFK
$2,023.
Total $5,455

Notes.. Splitting Image did not do as I asked and separated my animals and my wife’s into two different crates .(they said they would combine) But they didn’t then they charged me for an additional crate $300 I believe. Further more seeing I had two crates in two different names it costs me an additional $600 with my broker to clear. So this should be $900 less. Took 26 days to clear us customs in JFK

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Link45

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?