Rebarrel a Tikka T3 from .30-06 to 9.3x62?

Something like an XS ghost ring...inexpensive, small, and light. Given the range and trajectory on a 9.3x62 (about like a 180 gr 308), it's about an ideal backup for hunting where shooting distances are likely to be no further than about 150 yards, like in Limpopo.

If you're bringing a backup scope, it would make sense to have it mounted in its own set of rings. Just more weight, more expense, more room taken up.
@sgt_zim
When I went to Namibia I took a spare scope that had already been zeroed for my Whelen. If the SHTF I had a spare scope that would need minimum shots to confirm zero.
Bob

I'm in the US so 9.3x62 rifles are a little more scarce.
I have a Tikka T3 in .30-06 that has been replaced by a CZ600 LUX in .30-06

From my internet research you can just change the barrel within cartridge sizes on the Tikkas to recaliber it.

Am I right or wrong, and is this something any gunsmith can do or is there a suggestion for a good US gunsmith?

There is a company called Unknown Munitions in Post Falls Idaho that is really good on Tikka stuff. That would be my go-to for your project.

yes it will be .458 win mag. Africa may be in the cards some day but there are factors that make it difficult at present. My fathers health being chief among the them. For now it will be used for predator called black bears.

I am giving consideration to a 416 Taylor Tikka T3X. Just because I can. Haha.

I have a Tikka T3 that Hill Country Rifles changed from a 300 Win Mag to a 7MM PRC. I hade them put a 20" barrel on it and love it. Killed a Nilgai with it at 248 yards on Monday at the King Ranch shooting a 160 grain Hornady CX round, 1 shot. It wears a Leupold VX 5. See below. I bet you will like yours and I like the classic 9.3 approach you are going for. Cheers
IMG_7540.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micheal797

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you