Rate the C-H Tool & Die set (404J)

They were revising their website the last time that I checked, so ordering was by phone. As mentioned earlier, they manufacture a batch when there are sufficient orders rather than keep a lot of different calibers in stock. I ordered several dies from them last year; what they had in stock arrived quickly but what they did not have in stock is still on back-order. Definitely good quality though.
Correct. I remember speaking to a pleasant young man on the phone. He explained that the parts I ordered might have to be made as nothing was on the shelf for 404J, which is not surprising. However, I was surprised how quickly my order was taken care of. Probably only the expander on the depriming rod had to be made up. No doubt generic rods and pins were in stock.

I don't know what makes a "quality" set of dies. I own only three: my dad's very old set of Eastman 30-06 (went kaput finally and no parts available), RCBS 30-06, and this set of C-H for 404J. The only complaint about any of them is my dies don't fit properly in the RCBS one-size-fits-everything box and the damn lid requires a crowbar to get opened.

Edit: I just pulled out RCBS and CH dies for comparison. Obviously, the CH dies are more "substantial" than RCBS. For example, the CH has much thicker decapping pin that is topped with a knurled cap. RCBS rod has no cap. To loosen it for adjustment requires fitting a slotted screwdriver (damn, do I hate slotted screwdrivers!) into a thin slot at the top of a very thin threaded decapping rod.

Last edited:
I have a set of their FL sizing dies for a 416 Taylor Improved, and they have been great! They also built me a bushing neck sizing die for the same cartridge when I called them. I would rate them as a top of the line set of dies, very knowledgeable folks to talk too.

Have ordered by phone and used their dies for 15 years. Have always been a solid product with good tolerances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBurns

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.