Question for long-time alaskans

freefall

AH elite
Reaction score
My niece and her husband have moved up from CA. They live in Sutton. They need a yard/house gun. For this function, I have a .44 magnum carbine. But I have a few other choices for other uses.
What would any of you peoples who I would respect recommend? They do have a shotgun, but they need something with a little more precision at 50-100 yds. I'm concerned about ease of use/power ratio, which is why I'm avoiding bolt-actions for novice users. .30/30? .444 Marlin? Maybe an SKS? This needs to function for anything from aggressive dog to personnel to moose/bear.
Thoughtful responses from people with experience living in similar conditions will be appreciated. Bloviating from occasional hiker suburbanites less so.

I'm not a Alaskan but you are talking a defensive firearm, and 50-100 yards is not the range for defence. Think closer to 5-20 yards.

I personally would get a tactical 12ga and load it with slugs.

I don’t live in Alaska but I do live in very rural area of the U.P., the shotgun should be fine just run it with slugs if you want more accuracy, or load it with a combo of buckshot and slugs, A pump 12 gauge has a pretty easy manual of arms to operate under stress,

I'm not a Alaskan but you are talking a defensive firearm, and 50-100 yards is not the range for defence. Think closer to 5-20 yards.

I personally would get a tactical 12ga and load it with slugs.
Think of a moose trying to stomp your daughter and her puppy out by the treeline.
This is why I asked for advice from Alaskans.
Peoples that live east of the Rockies seem to have little relevant experience.
If anyone wants my advice on alligator problems, I'm sure it will be equally valuable.

I actually think that you’re introducing more complexity with a lever gun. This may sound like a very odd suggestion, but have you thought about a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine with ghost ring or red dot
Sights? Clip fed so it can be kept unloaded but go hot quickly, points like a wand, and the .303 is hard to beat at 50 to 100.

Personally I had a .375 handy, but I’m getting the sense that they are not gun folks?

Lever action 45-70. Not a big fan of the 45-70 but it fits the bill. Will kill anything at close range, quick second or third shot.

There is a gunmaker in Anchorage that made a pretty good living selling take down 45-70 to pilots and many others. Their new fancy cartridge is the .457 WWG but it is not needed

I can help with your gator problems also.

Think of a moose trying to stomp your daughter and her puppy out by the treeline.
This is why I asked for advice from Alaskans.
Peoples that live east of the Rockies seem to have little relevant experience.
If anyone wants my advice on alligator problems, I'm sure it will be equally valuable.
I don't live east of the rockies.

But think how you are going to explain to a Alaska G&F officer why you took that long of a shot trying to defend someone. And if that is the case how good of a shot is that person with a firearm?

If I had a loved one in that type of situation I could quite likely make that shot, but then I have been shooting rifles and pistols for over 60 years, and I would never take that kind of shot with a pistol outside of 10 yards.

I am well acquainted with Wild West Guns, I am well acquainted with the capabilities of the .45-70, I think that would be a little much gun for them.
I do have a 98 Mauser in .308 that I have seriously thought about giving them, I just think a lever gun is easier to use quickly. I have a BLR in .308 that I think would be the hot ticket, but it's a Belgian one and spare mags are made of unobtanium.

I don't live east of the rockies.

But think how you are going to explain to a Alaska G&F officer why you took that long of a shot trying to defend someone. And if that is the case how good of a shot is that person with a firearm?

If I had a loved one in that type of situation I could quite likely make that shot, but then I have been shooting rifles and pistols for over 60 years, and I would never take that kind of shot with a pistol outside of 10 yards.
I think it would be a pretty easy sell to most F&G guys when you explain the situation. Most of the LE guys I have met up here are pretty good guys with pretty good BS detectors. This is over a 45 year period.

I am well acquainted with Wild West Guns, I am well acquainted with the capabilities of the .45-70, I think that would be a little much gun for them.
I do have a 98 Mauser in .308 that I have seriously thought about giving them, I just think a lever gun is easier to use quickly. I have a BLR in .308 that I think would be the hot ticket, but it's a Belgian one and spare mags are made of unobtanium.
a used savage 99 in .308 would check your boxes and not break the bank especially if you want a clip feed one.

When I lived in Alaska I was confident with a .44 mag with 7.5" barrel at close range. I would also be confident with either a .44 mag rifle or 30-30. Having said that, I know a guy who had a brown bear run at him and he emptied all seven shots in his 30-30 Winchester before the bear fell at his feet. I personally thing a tube magazine lever action is the best choice because of the number of shots that would be offered.

First off if they’re not gun people they dang sure should become gun people if they think they going to use a firearm for any type of defensive purposes, period. They’d only be fooling themselves and no one else otherwise.
There are trainers in Anchorage and the Mat Su Valley that can help with that. If I had time I’d do it myself.
I like the right tool for the job. Everyone should have an AR rifle and know how to use it.
Shotguns are not necessary easy to master for everyone and have only a limited number of things they are excellent at but what they are excellent at there is nothing better.
Also a bolt action 30-06 weighing about 8 lbs is not unmanageable by most people and loaded with the right bullet will settle the dust that most anything might kick up.
No sense in getting into all kinds of oddball stuff.

M1 Garand. If it gets to 80F below, piss on the action and keep firing. LOL

My niece and her husband have moved up from CA. They live in Sutton. They need a yard/house gun. For this function, I have a .44 magnum carbine. But I have a few other choices for other uses.
What would any of you peoples who I would respect recommend? They do have a shotgun, but they need something with a little more precision at 50-100 yds. I'm concerned about ease of use/power ratio, which is why I'm avoiding bolt-actions for novice users. .30/30? .444 Marlin? Maybe an SKS? This needs to function for anything from aggressive dog to personnel to moose/bear.
Thoughtful responses from people with experience living in similar conditions will be appreciated. Bloviating from occasional hiker suburbanites less so.
If your not wanting a bolt action rifle, my personal choice is a 30-30 lever action. Inside 150 it will handle everything we have. I live in Wasilla and have been in Alaska since the 80's. The 30-30 is inexpensive to to shoot, easy to handle (short), and has a good magazine capacity. JMO.

@freefall …. If they have a shotgun and you give them a .308, they would have a lot of bases covered with two of the most versatile weapons in the sporting world.

Throw in a good .22 and for training and practice and once their pretty well covered.

I must confess though, I do live east of the Rockies but in a rural area where non-gun people seem to be flocking and I suggest the following to new gun people….

Ruger 10/22
Pump 12ga
Bolt action rifle in .308/30-06 with 3-9x40

You can accomplish plenty with these 3 guns.

@freefall ... I think maybe your .,44 carbine sounds like a good choice, based on your parameters. When I have been in ANC it seems like most places often have a selection of beefed up .44 ammo, such as Buffalo Bore or Underwood options.

I don't worry about things around my home - it's pretty close quarters. But at my cabin or in camp it's a short barreled 12 guage with Brenneke Black Magic slugs. That is also what the federal government provides me for field work. You may be right about needing better precision beyond 50, but I haven't been in a whole lot of situations where anything remotely beyond that felt like an issue.

One of my own close range defense guns is perhaps a bit oddball. I have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in .40 caliber and with 200 grain hardcast out to about 25 yards it's minute of coffee cup as fast as I can squeeze the trigger, and it's never jammed on me. It's light and has zero recoil. They are fairly inexpensive as well.

I am sure you are planning this anyway: have a few choices, take them to the range, and see what resonates. Best of wishes in your searches sir.

Oh, and 28 years in rural Alaska for me. (y)

Last edited:
I have thought about a HiPoint in 10mm, to experiment with...

I have thought about a HiPoint in 10mm, to experiment with...
If you’re considering the hi point you may also want to look at the aero I’ve owned both a high point and an aero survival rifle and if I had to trust one it would be the aero.

If your not wanting a bolt action rifle, my personal choice is a 30-30 lever action. Inside 150 it will handle everything we have. I live in Wasilla and have been in Alaska since the 80's. The 30-30 is inexpensive to to shoot, easy to handle (short), and has a good magazine capacity. JMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky12K91

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double