Pulling front or back trigger first

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Should you pull the front trigger or back trigger first when shooting a 458 win mag double rifle (o/u).

When I started shooting other peoples doubles at the Big Game Rifle Club matches, I was taught always rear trigger first so there is no chance of an accidental double discharge.

That’s what I thought, then I started watching people on YouTube pull the front trigger. My “new to me” double has a set trigger on the front, so it left me a little confused.

Checking your trigger pull for both triggers.

One trigger will be less than the other trigger.

That is the one that the gun was set up to shoot first.

A double gun is designed to be fired right barrel (front trigger) and then left barrel (rear trigger). The triggers are designed to allow a natural flow front to rear. SxS shotguns are designed exactly the same way. A quality version of each will have the rear trigger a half pound or so heavier pull than the front. Apparently, some people have issues accidentally tripping the rear trigger while in recoil from the front trigger. They advocate firing rear first. But that is not how a double is designed to operate. Personally, I have never had that issue with any shotgun up through heavy pigeon or wildfowl loads, or any rifle up through .470 which is the heaviest recoiling that I own.

Last edited:
I agree with just about everything Red Leg said, however after watching my friends, inexperienced double rifle shooters to be sure, both have accidental doubles by pulling the rear trigger first on my .470 NE I decided to teach myself to do it the other way around. It worked beautifully.

A double gun is designed to be fired right barrel (front trigger) and then left barrel (rear trigger). The triggers are designed to allow a natural flow front to rear. SxS shotguns are designed exactly the same way. A quality version of each will have the rear trigger a half pound or so heavier pull than the front. Apparently, some people have issues accidentally tripping the rear trigger while in recoil from the front trigger. They advocate firing rear first. But that is not how a double is designed to operate. Personally, I have never had that issue with any shotgun up through heavy pigeon or wildfowl loads, or any rifle up through .470 which is the heaviest recoiling that I own.

Hallelujah....finally someone who has spoken the true word of double guns!!!

So much fiction based on perceived problems that do not exist. Look at the set-up of the triggers and the offset that allows for the natural movement from front to rear and your answer is there.

If your grip slips and you double the trigger while shooting the gun, maybe the recoil has exceeded your personal tolerance levels. Don't blame the gun or invent new techniques that actually impact the rate of fire on a double gun (especially in a critical / high-stress scenario) because you have followed the "sage" advice of someone who shoots paper.

Exactly! Thanks for explaining it so clearly Red Leg. Front / right side first. My Merkel 140AE even came with clear instructions to fire the rifle in that order. O/U rifles should fire the bottom first, front trigger. I actually did have a double discharge when casually shooting my Beretta O/U 9.3x74R at targets a couple months ago. I was holding the rifle much too loosely, and didn't have good trigger control. I "strummed" the rear trigger too during recoil. But that problem was entirely my own making, and I know better. Was a good education though. Before that, I'd fired thousands of rounds from double trigger shotguns without a problem. The problems some have when shooting a double rifle is because of the currently fashionable method of shooting a rifle with only finger tip pressure on the trigger and a loose grip by the trigger hand. Some don't even put their thumb over the grip, but lay it alongside. Great for bench rest accuracy with a bolt action or single shot, but bad form for double rifle control. For big double rifles, the shooter needs more control to aim, shoot and recover from recoil. Take a firm grip, and there need be no fear of doubling.

I personally have an "incident" with one my doubles. On my Sauer 11mm both barrels are set triggers.
I set both and pulled the front and had big surprise when both went off ALMOST simultaneously.
I'll never set both triggers at the same time again!!!

I personally have an "incident" with one my doubles. On my Sauer 11mm both barrels are set triggers.
I set both and pulled the front and had big surprise when both went off ALMOST simultaneously.
I'll never set both triggers at the same time again!!!
How was your shoulder?

As said, front trigger then back trigger.

For novice shooters I only load one barrel at a time. For heavy recoiling guns without a articulated front trigger, I don't load the left barrel at all. No need to hurt someone new to double guns.

Last edited:
How was your shoulder?
No issues with the shoulder, I felt it though and the rifle muzzle rose up a lot more than normal.
Needless to say, I've never cocked both triggers at the same time since. And I only use the set triggers when testing reloads!

I learned on a hammer single shot and a SxS shotgun with two triggers and fixed chokes. If birds were usually a little farther out I picked the trigger for the tighter choke. If birds were flying closer then trigger for more open choked barrel. For quail and pheasant (flushing birds) usually the more open choked barrel trigger first then the tighter choked barrel trigger second. Usually on such guns the rear trigger is left barrel and front trigger is right barrel. I prefer rear trigger first but have no issues either way probably because I learned how to shoot two trigger SxS shotguns without internet or preconceived notions. Many days only shot one barrel or the other, one shot at a time depending on distance and type of hunting. For pass shooting average doves I usually stuck with just one barrel/choke that had best choke for the conditions, so effectively the SxS was a single shot, using the barrel that was working best at that time. Had no coaching or "proper" rules- just learned to do what worked best. Have shot a couple of double rifles but have never owned one, never will so eh, who knows. If I did I'd probably just shoot the rear trigger first, then front second. If choke tubes in SxS shotgun and using same in both then my preference is rear first, front second. Not into tweed clad protocols. ;)

I should have stated on a “proper” shot with bird close and then farther away on a shotgun.

If you have to shoot rear trigger first to avoid fan firing, then you are using too much gun. You need to back down to something you can control. That’s always been my philosophy anyways.

Most rifles are set up and regulated to be shot front trigger first. Besides, reaching forward for the second trigger feels awkward.

The only time I ever shoot rear trigger first is if I have the barrels loaded with a mix of soft and solid and I need whatever is in the second barrel.

So if someone commits the sin of shooting the rear trigger (left barrel) first, what's the downside short of now having to the trigger finger forward versus backward to prepare for the 2nd shot?

So if someone commits the sin of shooting the rear trigger (left barrel) first, what's the downside short of now having to the trigger finger forward versus backward to prepare for the 2nd shot?

That's the downside.

If you have used the back trigger and in a high-stress scenario repeatedly pull back for the "rear" trigger and it does not fire - that is the downside.

After exclusively using double trigger shotguns and a SXS rifle to hunt (rifle only occasionally) muscle memory can take over and good intentions take a back seat. If I flirt with proper form, I can get it right 99% of the time but it is that one per cent that may make a difference when it counts.

I prefer double trigger, fixed choke shotguns so that I can use the barrel appropriate for the target and distance but every now and then I am pulling on a trigger that has already been fired as a bird flies by.

Not going to take this chance with my SXS rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristelEn

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double