Preparing for 1st Safari

Is it such a good idea to be shooting at an animal that the hunter can't completely make out due to poor light, dark color, shady cover, etc?
No! It's never a good idea for a hunter to shoot an animal that they can't completely see.

No! It's never a good idea to shoot an animal when the hunter can't be sighted in on the animals vitals for a quick, clean, humane kill.

I have the Lowa Renegade GTX as my go to for most of these hunts. I also now have Solomon hiking shoes that I am using this year for my travel shoes and may hunt in them. I lean on the lightweight side for boots on these trips.
I too have the exact two pair of shoes Philip has. The Solomon shoes are the lightest I have ever worn!

Took the advice here from another member. GoRuck MacV1, 14 ounce each and wide toe box, no break in. Nothing you don’t need. (Goretex etc.) and excellent customer service. Had surgery with pins etc in right foot and fit is a problem with an exaggerated hi instep on right. Emailed customer svc saying wouldn’t work with my instep. Within 15 minutes had a reply offering full refund or a link for different insoles to try for up to 30 days and if still no go no problem. Tried other insoles and been my everyday since and will be on when I fly late Apri for the next Africa adventure of buffalo and a kudu and maybe bushing. Danner, Zamberlan, etc you shall remain in the closet this trip. Ordering second pair for backup on trip and just to have.
Sorry for being long winded but after surgery thought I would be stuck with close enough not just right. Never settle on footwear when going after Buffalo or any DG where walking and stalking are the norm. Good luck and thanks for letting me share my happiness with GoRuck.
Did I mention i recommend GoRuck!

No! It's never a good idea for a hunter to shoot an animal that they can't completely see.

No! It's never a good idea to shoot an animal when the hunter can't be sighted in on the animals vitals for a quick, clean, humane kill.
So if you’re at 20 yards in the thickest crap imaginable and can see a 6 inch square of what you know to be shoulder of a buffalo that you know is a shooter and you’re rock steady on sticks you wouldn’t shoot?
No one is advocating shooting through brush or at an animal that is walking in said brush, of course that would be irresponsible.

Took the advice here from another member. GoRuck MacV1, 14 ounce each and wide toe box, no break in. Nothing you don’t need. (Goretex etc.) and excellent customer service. Had surgery with pins etc in right foot and fit is a problem with an exaggerated hi instep on right. Emailed customer svc saying wouldn’t work with my instep. Within 15 minutes had a reply offering full refund or a link for different insoles to try for up to 30 days and if still no go no problem. Tried other insoles and been my everyday since and will be on when I fly late Apri for the next Africa adventure of buffalo and a kudu and maybe bushing. Danner, Zamberlan, etc you shall remain in the closet this trip. Ordering second pair for backup on trip and just to have.
Sorry for being long winded but after surgery thought I would be stuck with close enough not just right. Never settle on footwear when going after Buffalo or any DG where walking and stalking are the norm. Good luck and thanks for letting me share my happiness with GoRuck.
Did I mention i recommend GoRuck!
Couldn’t find the Mac V1, bought a pair of the MAC V2 on your recommendation. Look like a great hunting footwear for Africa.

I would change it to, never compromise on footwear, period.

Couldn’t find the Mac V1, bought a pair of the MAC V2 on your recommendation. Look like a great hunting footwear for Africa.

I would change it to, never compromise on footwear, period.
concur you said it better

concur you said it better
also I was on the GoRuck website, sure other companies retail them also. GoRuck gave me 15 percent off for military

also I was on the GoRuck website, sure other companies retail them also. GoRuck gave me 15 percent off for military
Ah, I‘m in Canada. Bought them from a place that only carried the MACV2’s, looks like GoRuck was all sold out of the MACV2 in my size. Do you find they are a fairly quiet shoe?

Will return and get some more Salomon’s if they don’t feet my oddly shaped feet. I find them a little narrow in the forefoot for me though. Problem with my last set of Merrell’s was my Belgian Malinois pup thought they were delicious!

Reactions: USN
Well the 2 Boston terrier have so far not tried to eat, so far. You may end up swapping the insole as I did. Hope they are perfect from the start and not dog food.

Well the 2 Boston terrier have so far not tried to eat, so far. You may end up swapping the insole as I did. Hope they are perfect from the start and not dog food.
Quiet for me but I am very hearing impaired, but others are impressed with how quiet they are. 30 day money back and lifetime warranty without recipt

I have purchased quite a bit from Go Ruck in the past as I used to ruck about 25 miles a week with a 50lbs pack. That was a couple of years ago and now I am doing about 15 miles a week with a rifle, water, and 2 liters of water in my pack. Just over 20 lbs. Got a long way to go to get back in shape but if the Go Ruck boots are half as good as the rest of their products I will try them.
Go Navy! 23 year submariner here.

I have purchased quite a bit from Go Ruck in the past as I used to ruck about 25 miles a week with a 50lbs pack. That was a couple of years ago and now I am doing about 15 miles a week with a rifle, water, and 2 liters of water in my pack. Just over 20 lbs. Got a long way to go to get back in shape but if the Go Ruck boots are half as good as the rest of their products I will try them.
Go Navy! 23 year submariner here.
Go Navy! Thank you for your service, 20 plus here brown shoe. You dolphin guys are certifiably crazy. ;-)

IMG_3555.jpeg

Others scoff, but I love Converse all-stars. I have some Kevlar insoles. They are light, quiet, cool and give adequate support.
Nothing wrong with the all stars, wore a pair out in the swamps of the Zambezi delta, I still take a pair of going to be in wet terrain.

So if you’re at 20 yards in the thickest crap imaginable and can see a 6 inch square of what you know to be shoulder of a buffalo that you know is a shooter and you’re rock steady on sticks you wouldn’t shoot?
No one is advocating shooting through brush or at an animal that is walking in said brush, of course that would be irresponsible.

Yes, I would shoot knowing:
1. it is a shooter
2. I obviously see it is walking head first so I know I'm shooting at the front shoulder.
3. icing on the cake is I'm steady on sticks. At 20 yards I'm comfortable and confident with my rifle to shoot standing offhand.

No, two your second part because it is walking:
But what direction? Angling to, away, broad side?
Where's the head, the tail?
Is it a shooter?
Thereby I agree it would be irresponsible and not advocating shooting through brush at a walking animal in said brush.

While living in North Carolina I was deer hunting in Uwharrie National Forest. It was either sex season. I was seated on a tree stump, in the center of young pines. Saw the deer walking toward me, it turned with the pines between us. I had about a 10 to 12 inch rough circle to shoot through at the deer's shoulder. The deer took that fatal last step. Using a Marlin 30-30 and reloads the deer went about a foot or so straight up into the air and hit the ground full broadside, DRT. It was a shy 20 yards from me when I shot it.

It was a safe shot because I knew the area. Only 3 of us, brother- in- laws,
hunted it. The other 2 were with thier wives back in Winston-Salem.

If you're looking for some quiet beach time, no discos, just a pristine white powder beach, excellent food and a good book, I stayed here in Zanzibar and loved it!

HUNT Anything: If I could “only see the shoulder” of a Buffalo in heavy brush — I would NOT shoot and the only exception “might be” if I knew exactly at What “Angle” he was AND that My PH was telling me it was OK to fire. My reason is also that it would be unlikely I could get a 2nd shot into him and neither could my PH so we’d need to wait for the 1st shot to be fatal. Seems an unnecessary risk and the chance of eventually getting a clear shot is usually possible.

Yes. (Assumes the PH is giving the green light.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SSG Joe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.