Powder prices increasing?

WinsAz

AH member
Reaction score
Just got an email from Powder Valley this morning about upcoming powder price increases. Whether its true, or a marketing ploy, I'm sure others will follow suit.
What's your opinion? I'm personally not surprised considering the current economic state.
1000002756.jpg

Yes, it is true. A hew outdoors web sites have reported this in early December.

Vista Outdoors sent a letter to retailers that Federal, CCI ammo prices are going up, and Alliant Powders are going up 10% with limited availability. Rising production costs, and ammo demand increase worldwide are stated reasons.

Appreciate that info. Its about what I expected, especially coupled with increased mil munitions production. A few years ago I converted to Ramshot powders in many calibers, as it was the only available, and affordable powder on the market.

My local gun shop received notice from Hodgdon of scarcity and 35% price increases. Vista Outdoors was recently sold to a wealthy foreigner. It’s a huge umbrella but covers the likes of Federal and CCI.

Even with component prices rising, it is still cheaper to load your own ammo than it is to purchase factory ammo.

Remember, these prices will also affect ammo manufacturers and the increase in their products will naturally be passed on to us the consumer.

Not a marketing ploy if the shelves are already bare. . .
I've been into 2 gun shops in the last 3 weeks and both have a good supply of powders and loaded ammo. Not so much for bullets and primers.

This price increase notice seems more like a marketing ploy…. “Better buy now!”

I don’t remember seeing any notices when primers and powder previously went up…. And it was way more than 10%
Like 50%+ for powder and 200-400% for primers. Remember, in early 2020 powder was $26-27lb and the same for 1k primers. A standard cartridge new brass case was in the $.35-.45 range. I bought .375s for $.55/case. They're getting that now for once fired cases. So, to put it in perspective, in the ALL TIME HISTORY of price increases up until 2020 for every reason under the sun (economic recessions, wars, politics, etc), we've now seen the current price increases in just FOUR YEARS. I call BS!

Maaaaaate, down here in the South Pacific, we haven’t had a delivery of Alliant powder in more than 3 years, Hodgdon hasn’t been seen for 5 or more and even out locally made ADI is…sporadic in supply, with shot/pistol powders unavailable for a looooong time now.

So if you can find it, buy it.
How about primers?

Norma is no longer sending their powders to the U.S. due to our Neo Marxist administration’s restrictions. I completely believe that most of the supply and price issues are manufactured by these western clowns running our governments because it defies the laws of supply and demand. Scarcity and high prices are one thing but no one wins win there’s nothing to buy. Demand should create supply.

Norma is no longer sending their powders to the U.S. due to our Neo Marxist administration’s restrictions. I completely believe that most of the supply and price issues are manufactured by these western clowns running our governments because it defies the laws of supply and demand. Scarcity and high prices are one thing but no one wins win there’s nothing to buy. Demand should create supply.
In 2008, we had two major wars we were fighting. Homeland Security was buying massive amounts of ammo. We had the Great Recession and Obama elected as President. Where were these massive ammo and reloading component shortages and price increases then? There were some shortages but not the extreme price increases. I think somewhere in there a pound of powder and 1K of primers went from $20 to $26. But not what we've seen in the last four years alone. I had never seen shotgun shells MIA before this latest "shortage". I think a lot of it has to do with the consolidation of the ammo/component manufacturers. They're the only game in town now and they know it and their price increases reflect that. Just my 2 centavos.

I think that the big jump came because of all the new fire enthusiast that showed up during COVID. They were buying anything and everything and stocking up for the next apocalypse. Look at what happened in grocery stores, and a number of stores still haven't recovered from all the panic buying that went on.

The one thing that gets me is that you can buy all the 5.65x55, 223 Rem, 7.62x39, 9mm, and .40 S&W that you want and at bargain prices. I picked up 1000 rounds of 40 S&W this past summer cheaper than I could load it for.

Here is a little read on the shortages:

By the way Mark, I may need to buy that pound of power back that I sold you a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• Why Is There a Primer Supply Shortage? | Powder Valley.pdf
    477.3 KB · Views: 35
I think that the big jump came because of all the new fire enthusiast that showed up during COVID. They were buying anything and everything and stocking up for the next apocalypse. Look at what happened in grocery stores, and a number of stores still haven't recovered from all the panic buying that went on.

The one thing that gets me is that you can buy all the 5.65x55, 223 Rem, 7.62x39, 9mm, and .40 S&W that you want and at bargain prices. I picked up 1000 rounds of 40 S&W this past summer cheaper than I could load it for.

Here is a little read on the shortages:

By the way Mark, I may need to buy that pound of power back that I sold you a couple of years ago.
Very good article Jim! I did know Vista Outdoors owns Alliant powder, Remington (ammo), CCI and Federal. I didn't know about the Russian primers available in mass in the market in 2008. Maybe explains some of the current primer shortage? Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazukoWink

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.