Potentially new dangerous game cartridges coming to market?

Didn't someone have one of them the other month or two? A .50 BMG necked up to .700 three shot at like 20# for the modest sum of $13k

D/G cartridges; look at Geoff MacDonald's (Woodleigh) 530 and 505-530 rounds. Neither are fantasies, both were made for African PH Clive Connolly, built on the 460 Weatherby, and 505 Gibbs cases, respectively. Ref pages 252 and 253 in the Woodleigh reloading manual.

Not sure we need any new DG cartridges.

375 H&H
404 Jeffery
450 Lott
450 Rigby
470 NE
500 NE

No gaps that I can see.

Dangerous game cartridge design is already much more than adequate. I don‘t see a point in developing new rounds, other than to extract money from hunters’ wallets.

Newer cartridge designs will not lower the prices for dangerous game ammunition. At best all it is is “Peeing in the soup” to make more soup. There is no added value. My solution has been to reload my DG ammunition. It is much much cheaper than purchase at retail.

510 Creedmoor aka the 510 Manbun.... now we're onto something!
Agreed, I can find no gaps anywhere, from the infamous 17 Peterlongo to the 700 Testosterone Rex.

All shoehorning another cartridge into the continuum does is dilute the supply of ammo and components. Manufacturers feel obliged to "catch the wave", make runs of the newest and hottest at the expense of the long established that remain in high demand. End result... shortages, increased costs then finally obsolescence.

Exactly. I’m no bean counter but I imagine the investment in time, wages, research, tooling up and R&D developing ammunition would never be recovered in a lifetime.
The market for DG rifles is small, it is also currently well supplied with what’s out there.

Newer cartridge designs will not lower the prices for dangerous game ammunition. At best all it is is “Peeing in the soup” to make more soup. There is no added value. My solution has been to reload my DG ammunition. It is much much cheaper than purchase at retail.
I think that soup has already been peed in, a lot. Even with the classic cartridges there are a lot that are essentially duplicates. How many .45-ish caliber cartridges are there that shoot a 500 grain bullet at about 2150 fps?

Rather than new cartridges, I'd like to see a few left-handed rifles bigger than .375 that don't cost six months worth of mortgage payments.

I think that soup has already been peed in, a lot. Even with the classic cartridges there are a lot that are essentially duplicates. How many .45-ish caliber cartridges are there that shoot a 500 grain bullet at about 2150 fps?

Rather than new cartridges, I'd like to see a few left-handed rifles bigger than .375 that don't cost six months worth of mortgage payments.
my LH MRC 404J was only about 2500. but it only took me about 10 years to find it.

my LH MRC 404J was only about 2500. but it only took me about 10 years to find it.
Already pinged the new MRC to add it to list.

Heck, if they can promise a .375 H&H in the queue, surely, they can promise a 404J...

I know, I know, don't call them Shirly....

We have to remember that marketing guys and ballisticians are always making new cartridges. They make them for three reasons:

1.) To take a cheapo short or long action and shove a ballistically equivelant magnum cartridge in it.

2.) To eek out another 2% to 10% efficiency in powder burn.

3.) To adhere to Weatherby, PO Ackley, or others observations about shoulder degree or neck length operating under the theory that it could theoretically be more accurate.

My reply would be as follows as counterpoints:

1a.) I don’t want a cheapo action and their junk cartridge. If I’m going around the world and back to hunt game, I’ll stick with a magnum action or long action, even if it costs me a couple hundred bucks more to stick with what is proven.

2a.) Again, lets not be tightwads, no one reading this forum contemplating africa is actually thinking about saving 5gr of powder per load, adding up to a savings of a few dollars in the life of the rifle.

3a.) Shoulder angles for accuracy and neck lengths are all nonsensical ideas that counter and interfere with the more important dangerous game / africa caliber designs that have been proven over the past 125 years. Smooth feeding and extraction is EVERYTHING, a 1/4” better groups at 200 yards is NOTHING.

So I don’t need anything new. Cartridges that have proven their worth over the past 100+ years have all the answers:

243 win
257 roberts
6.5x55
6.5 MS
7x57
7x64
30-06
8x68
9.3x64
9.3x74r
300HH
318WR
333J
375HH
404J
416 Rigby
450 Rigby
458WM
458 Lott
450-400
450NE
465HH
470NE
500NE
500J
505G
577NE

There is a reason that those were selected. They solved every application with a lot more thought process and field testing than the latest and greatest. When labor was educated, infinite, and cheap, they dialed these things in to a level the modern designer cannot fathom. They knew what they were doing!

Stick with the right caliber in the right action with the right bullet for the right application!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.