Votes: 22 32.8%

• Total voters

gajie270

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
America
discuss it, and place your vote in the poll.

The Pre-64 M70's have NO Metal Injected Molded (MIM, https://www.molex.com/molex/capabilities/metal_injection_molding ) parts. Some if not all of the post 64 (63?) CRF M70's have MIM extractors which can and do fail to function. Also, their magazine springs occasionally break. I replace them with used M98 Mauser springs.

Don't get me wrong, I like, own one, and recommend modern CNC made CRF M70's for dangerous game rifles. I however had my gunsmith fit a forged steel extractor to mine. He also turned me onto M98 magazine springs for them...

The above stated, it's hard to go wrong with a good Pre-64 M70!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.25 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.25 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.25 AM 1.png
    669.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.27 AM.png
    681.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 6.29.30 AM.png
    671.8 KB · Views: 53
I own three model 70s two pre-64s (280rem and 300 wins) and a model 70 classic with boss. while I love shooting both pre 64s I still think my model 70 classic is a slightly better rifle.

I have four: a pre-64 30.06, two of the newer CRF, made in the US in 270 win and safari express 375H&H, and a FN CRF assembled in Portugal in 300 winmag super grade maple stock.
The pre-64 is a great rifle and I used it on my first plains game hunt in Namibia 35 years ago. But if you compare it to the newer rifles, especially the FN super grade model with maple stock, the fit and finish are better than the pre-64 and the action is just as smooth and silky as the pre-64. No comparison on timber on the pre-64 to the beautiful maple stock on the super grade. I have used the 300 winmag on two African hunts and have taken lots of plains game with it, including a one shot kill on a big eland bull. Great rifle.

He also turned me onto M98 magazine springs for them...

Interesting! I happen to have a few spare M98 mag springs in the spare parts drawer.. Might have to play with this (not that my M70 mag springs have failed me in any way yet.... Im just curious now :) )....

I have never handled a pre-64 but have handled or shot all the others in somewhat limited capacity. My small sample size of 1 on the controlled feed pre-FN is my extractor is faulty and ammo must be seated in the magazine. I have held a few of the FN rifles and found the safety to be complete garbage in every one.

I grew up shooting my dad's mid 1980's push fed. Almost bought a number of 90's rifles. Aside from the unnecessary heft of all model 70s (including featherweight), IMO the post 64 push fed is the finest example I have encountered - by far

The pre64 is the better rifle if for no other reasons than no mim parts and the one piece bolt, also as good as today's M70s are the pre64 trigger is better. I own both although mostly pre64s and like both.

Pre '64. Hands down. Any day and every day. It's from the good old days when American craftsmanship was at its finest. And commerical American arms manufacturers were motivated by honor and integrity. Not by a cheapskate mindset of cutting corners to save manufacturing costs.

I am a left hand shooter. I own three New Haven LH M70 CRF Classics - 280 Ackley (SAAMI/Nosler spec), 7mm RM (soon to be re-barreled to 308 Norma Mag), and a .375 H&H. These are very good rifles - better than other rifles available at competitive prices. Of course, their are no current LH CRF Model 70s made. Mine were bought from previous owners.

Problems I have found -

The stock on the 375 (NIB) was terrible - did not fit me at all. I had it fitted with a dropped Sunnyhill bottom metal and restocked.

The trigger on the 7mm RM is terrible - I can't say whether it came from the factory that way - but I will replace it with a Jewel or Timney trigger. I will also restock it.

The 280 Ackley was a custom rifle in 7 X 57 with a Kreiger barrel. It is with Aaron Little in Texas being re-chambered and restocked for a lightweight mountain rifle.

All of these rifles are smooth and have positive, but not too stiff, safeties. They are accurate and reliable with the exception of the trigger on the 7mm RM they function perfectly.

I like them very much and will probably buy one or two more if I can find them for sale.

M70 7X57 LH.jpg

Pre-64s give me a nostalgic feeling and I like the fact that they actually built magazines per case ala Mauser, my classics are very short on fit and finish but are tackdrivers, but my favorite model 70 is DArcy Echols’ Lx-1. No, it’s not a model 70, but in my opinion it’s a model 70 that goes to 11, if you get the Spinal Tap reference.

Pre-64s give me a nostalgic feeling and I like the fact that they actually built magazines per case ala Mauser, my classics are very short on fit and finish but are tackdrivers, but my favorite model 70 is DArcy Echols’ Lx-1. No, it’s not a model 70, but in my opinion it’s a model 70 that goes to 11, if you get the Spinal Tap reference.

"My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights. Big game is waiting there inside her tights... Yeah."

I have owned a number of each type. IMO the current Belgium-made parts assembled in Portugal are hands down the best they’ve made. Yank the MOA trigger out and replace it with a proper trigger and the new ones will outshoot the previous iterations. The fit and finish is better too.

Model 70’s are all I hunt with these days. Three are pre-64’s, a 30-06 featherweight, a 264 and a 416 Hoffman. I’ve also got a post-64 in 338. I hunt mostly with my 338 & 264. The 30-06 is all original, but the other three all have new barrels (264-Krieger, 338-Lilja & 416-Shilen) and Brown Precision fiberglass stocks. The 416 has the original trigger and the other two have Timney triggers. All four are excellent shooters.

Now I only need one more rifle for the rest of my days…. A pre-64 in 375 H&H and I’ll never need another rifle.

I own a pre 64 30-06 I used with great success in South Africa, a pre 64 rebarreled to 338-06 I hunt Alaska with. A stainless classic in 30-06 that I loan out on special occasions, an FN BACO extreme Sporter in 270 WSM, and a Portuguese assembled 7mm08. Sold a Portuguese made supergrade a couple months ago.
As far as straight up hunting rifles go, I can’t find fault with any of them so far. The FN BACO 270 WSM probably has the most smooth as glass action. Hard to pick a winner but my 338-06 is pretty awesome.

Now I only need one more rifle for the rest of my days…. A pre-64 in 375 H&H and I’ll never need another rifle.
Yes. We all need just one more rifle...LOL. :ROFLMAO:

I've not owned any of these rifles so my vote is not applicable, however I do believe they each have their strong points. Conversely I'd have to say that they each have a weak point as well, wether it's price, availability or function...there are two sides to every coin.

Not a surprise that the pre-64's are leading the poll.

Well, I voted for the post 64 as I only have a mid ‘70s model in .270 Win. It is my usual rifle for hunting deer and pronghorn. It’s an accurate rifle with a very smooth action. I’ve never owned a pre 64 so I can’t comment on it versus other models. I’m sure all of the other listed Winchester models are great rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winworldrealty

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.