Plains Game Hunting Rifle/Cartridge question

jimuccc34

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best place for this question. But I want to book a plains game hunt in the next year. I have both 30-06 Brno 602 and 7mm Rem Mag Winchester Mod70 both with 4-12 Leupolds-I have hunted with quite a bit. Wondering if it makes a bit of difference between the two cartridges and what people with experience would suggest. Also wondering should ammo not arrive with bags. Or should I rent a rifle?

Either will get the job done just fine on a PG hunt.. I'd take whichever one you prefer or shoot the best and not worry about it any further..

Should ammo not make it, you can find both 30-06 and 7MM RM easily enough in most places..

Whether or not to rent a rifle is really a personal decision.. I typically prefer to take my own.. but there are times I rent a camp rifle.. for example, I got the best possible rates for flights this year by booking on American... I flew Qatar Airways (code shared) to get to SA.. but then the return flights were on BA and American birds with a layover in London.. so flying with rifles wasnt an option (BA and American will not transfer rifles between themselves for some reason even though they both allow firearms and are code share / partners)..

If youre going to rent a rifle, just ask the outfitter the right questions up front.. what rifles are available, what calibers, what glass, etc.. and determine if you are comfortable with whats at your disposal..

I think you'll find most reputable outfitters have reliable rifles, in good condition, topped with somewhere between good and excellent glass...

There are a few out there however that have been known to hand a client a poorly maintained rifle with junk glass.. while this is an exception I believe and not the norm.. I would definitely recommend asking the questions and knowing what youre getting into in advance..

Renting a rifle certainly makes traveling a bit less complicated. However I've take my rifles on every trip so far and will continue to do so. I like that I'm using mine and with the ammunition I've loaded myself.

I've always packed my ammo in a separate locked box, usually with an extra scope and a few tools, if that's your question. If the concern is that the ammo does not arrive, it usually will soon thereafter. It's something that happens, but it seems quite uncommon.

Regarding the calibers, I think you're set with either for a PG hunt. But if Eland or other heavier/thicker species is on the list, I'd give a little preference to the .30-06 with a 180gr premium bullet (A-Frame, North Fork, TSX). That said, a 7mm RM with 175gr bullets such as the Swift A-Frame will get the job done.

Thanks for the quick responses. Plan is for impala smallest to zebra the largest. With experience what is the average length of shot? I've got a 2.5-8 that maybe a better option or like you said pack as a backup. I also have a 338 but feel like that is a bit of overkill.

youre not going to have a problem with impala or zebra (or anything in between) with either caliber..

I've taken a zebra with a 308 shooting a barnes 165gr TTSX with zero issues.. my wife also took a zebra with a different 308 shooting the same barnes loading..

how long of a shot really depends on where you are, what your specific skills are, and who your PH is..

where I hunt most often its POSSIBLE to get a 200+ yard shot on a zebra.. but it is neither probable or anything me or my PH would have any interest in.. I took my zebra at about 120 yards (2020).. my wife took here at about 80 yards (2017).. there are places in South Africa where it would be difficult to find a 200 yard shot (too thick).. and there are places where 300+ yard shots wouldnt be hard to find (wide open plains/fields).. for me.. I prefer to stalk as close as is reasonable.. which usually ends up being somewhere between 50-150 yards on most game before they are alert or are on to us, and take the shot as near to the animal as I possibly can..

youre not going to have a problem with impala or zebra (or anything in between) with either caliber..

I've taken a zebra with a 308 shooting a barnes 165gr TTSX with zero issues.. my wife also took a zebra with a different 308 shooting the same barnes loading..

how long of a shot really depends on where you are, what your specific skills are, and who your PH is..

where I hunt most often its POSSIBLE to get a 200+ yard shot on a zebra.. but it is neither probable or anything me or my PH would have any interest in.. I took my zebra at about 120 yards (2020).. my wife took here at about 80 yards (2017).. there are places in South Africa where it would be difficult to find a 200 yard shot (too thick).. and there are places where 300+ yard shots wouldnt be hard to find (wide open plains/fields).. for me.. I prefer to stalk as close as is reasonable.. which usually ends up being somewhere between 50-150 yards on most game before they are alert or are on to us, and take the shot as near to the animal as I possibly can..

Can't answer your question better than that @jimuccc34. By the way my younger son killed his zebra at 120 yards with his 7x57. Your 7mm RM will be fine.

No such thing as overkill in Africa, the -06 or 7 Mag would do fine like Phil has stated in a plains game area. But while your there I would advise going to a Dangerous Game area and in that situation a 375 is the perfect plains game rifle, just in case. A plains game safari in a big wild unfenced area in Zim or Mozambique can be had for very reasonable, all the while dodging Dangerous Game while hunting.

Not sure if this is the best place for this question. But I want to book a plains game hunt in the next year. I have both 30-06 Brno 602 and 7mm Rem Mag Winchester Mod70 both with 4-12 Leupolds-I have hunted with quite a bit. Wondering if it makes a bit of difference between the two cartridges and what people with experience would suggest. Also wondering should ammo not arrive with bags. Or should I rent a rifle?
Your guns are OK for plains game.
Renting the rifle is back up option.

Possible risk, is that rental rifle will be issued with any ammo that is locally available, and it does not necessarily need to be premium high quality ammo.
So, your guns and your ammo should be first option.
Rental rifle is back up option.

You may ask outfitter what ammo he uses. But sometimes also things change. TIA - this is Arica.

All in all, loosing ammo on airliens is not something that happens often.
Many people have completed their safaris with rental guns.
So, just go, and dont worry.

No such thing as overkill in Africa, the -06 or 7 Mag would do fine like Phil has stated in a plains game area. But while your there I would advise going to a Dangerous Game area and in that situation a 375 is the perfect plains game rifle, just in case. A plains game safari in a big wild unfenced area in Zim or Mozambique can be had for very reasonable, all the while dodging Dangerous Game while hunting.
That is exactly what I was going to say. Well, about no such thing as overkill. Underkill is real. :)

I'm a huge believer in that grand old American warhorse- The .30-06 Springfield and 220Gr Remington Core Lokts (a very outdated bullet in the eyes of younger generations of sportsmen, but nevertheless one which continues to serve me well ever since my first African Safari in 1974).

If Remington Core Lokts are too old fashioned for your tastes, then I will highly recommend the 200Gr Hornady ELD-X Red Tip bullets (either hand loaded by yourself or custom loaded by a company like Hendershots Custom Ammunition). Extremely efficient modern design for all African plains game.

If you are tempted to take shots out to longer ranges, then I would highly recommend dropping the bullet weight down to 180Gr for a flatter trajectory out to greater distances (such as the open terrain on the African plains).

But 200Gr (or heavier) bullets are absolutely unrivaled for brush hunting.
Sable 2.jpg
Spotted Hyena.jpg
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg

I have only shot a 7mm Remington Magnum caliber rifle a couple of times in my life. But I imagine that it would also be an excellent choice for plains game. I am continuing to experience great success with my 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe on a wide variety of international game over the years.

Mostly with the (now unfortunately discontinued) Winchester Super X factory loaded 175Gr soft point. But also more recently with the Hornady 175Gr Spire Point Interlock (as loaded by Hendershots Custom Ammunition).
Screenshot_20220713-013016_01.jpg
Screenshot_20220713-013021_01.jpg
Screenshot_20220713-013044_01.jpg
Screenshot_20221007-024445_01.jpg
IMG_20220702_174409_01_02_01.jpg

I have successfully used both calibers for making one-shot kills on all of the African plains game up the gigantic bull eland. But for eland and Kudu, the 220Gr bullets fired out of a .30-06 Springfield are more ideal for shots taken at acute angles.

All the best.

Last edited:
My personal preference would be for the .30-06, with Swift A-frame 180gr bullets. That being said, there is not a single African animal that will know the difference between a well placed 175gr 7 mm and a 180gr 7,62mm bullet.

Your 4-12x Leupold scopes are also perfect for the job. If they are currently sighted in, and you are used to them don’t make changes to a working combination. Bring the rifle that feeds the best, extracts reliably, and that you are most comfortable with, and enjoy your hunt.

Distance and velocity matters - with the 30-06 & heavier bullets (slower V) working very very well if not better in the brush. I can vouch for the '06 and 180 grain A-Frames, assuming good hits.

A 7Mag with a tough 160 grain would be hard to beat if more open areas & longer ranges are expected to be the norm.

It's which one you shoot better from the sticks, IMO.

I'm a huge believer in that grand old American warhorse- The .30-06 Springfield and 220Gr Remington Core Lokts (a very outdated bullet in the eyes of younger generations of sportsmen, but nevertheless one which continues to serve me well ever since my first African Safari in 1974).

If Remington Core Lokts are too old fashioned for your tastes, then I will highly recommend the 200Gr Hornady ELD-X Red Tip bullets (either hand loaded by yourself or custom loaded by a company like Hendershots Custom Ammunition). Extremely efficient modern design for all African plains game.

If you are tempted to take shots out to longer ranges, then I would highly recommend dropping the bullet weight down to 180Gr for a flatter trajectory out to greater distances (such as the open terrain on the African plains).

But 200Gr (or heavier) bullets are absolutely unrivaled for brush hunting.
View attachment 551348View attachment 551349View attachment 551350View attachment 551351View attachment 551352View attachment 551353

I have only shot a 7mm Remington Magnum caliber rifle a couple of times in my life. But I imagine that it would also be an excellent choice for plains game. I am continuing to experience great success with my 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe on a wide variety of international game over the years.

Mostly with the (now unfortunately discontinued) Winchester Super X factory loaded 175Gr soft point. But also more recently with the Hornady 175Gr Spire Point Interlock (as loaded by Hendershots Custom Ammunition).
View attachment 551354View attachment 551355View attachment 551356View attachment 551359View attachment 551358

I have successfully used both calibers for making one-shot kills on all of the African plains game up the gigantic bull eland. But for eland and Kudu, the 220Gr bullets fired out of a .30-06 Springfield are more ideal for shots taken at acute angles.

All the best.
Interesting, if you take away my staggering lead in feral hog tally, you have certainly killed more than I have. :). That being said, I despise the Hornady ELD. Hate its guts and liver. I have seen them fail on whitetail deer shoulders as well as pigs. Well, “fail” may not be accurate. I think they performed as designed—just aren’t designed for bone. I would take a Nosler accubond seven days a week and twice on Sunday for African game over the ELD. I am often wrong—but never in doubt. :)

Interesting, if you take away my staggering lead in feral hog tally, you have certainly killed more than I have. :). That being said, I despise the Hornady ELD. Hate its guts and liver. I have seen them fail on whitetail deer shoulders as well as pigs. Well, “fail” may not be accurate. I think they performed as designed—just aren’t designed for bone. I would take a Nosler accubond seven days a week and twice on Sunday for African game over the ELD. I am often wrong—but never in doubt. :)
This one ?
IMG-20230718-WA0048.jpg
IMG-20230718-WA0045.jpg
IMG-20230718-WA0046.jpg
IMG-20230718-WA0047.jpg

Strange. But if you don't like them, then my next recommendation will be the 200Gr Swift A Frame (assuming that you won't go for the Remington Core Lokts like most younger sportsmen don't).

Last edited:

I totally agree. I have seen incredible failures with those bullets. I use Swift A-Frames in Africa in everything except my .458 Lott in which I use TBBC.

I totally agree. I have seen incredible failures with those bullets. I use Swift A-Frames in Africa in everything except my .458 Lott in which I use TBBC.
It's a good thing that I learn something new everyday.

I have used the Hornady ELD-X 200Gr factory loaded Red Tip bullet (out of a .300 Winchester Magnum Ruger Hawkeye Hunter) to take 2 Sambar stags. Both were double lung shots, which worked extremely well considering that each of the stags went no further than 60 yards after receiving the shot.

But now that both of you gents mention it, I've never had occasion to actually take a shot with one of these bullets where they would be required to break through heavy mammalian bone (like the scapula).

Last edited:
7mm or 30-06 will work just fine - I have taken both of those (and 270) to Africa for PG with great success. As others have mentioned, the bullet you choose is more important the caliber - swift A frame, scirocco, woodleigh, or TSX will all serve you well. For 7mm I’d shoot a 150 gr and for 30-06 I’d choose 180-200 grain.
I always try to break at least one shoulder - both if possible. Long hikes through the hills after the shot are not much fun so that will limit tracking

☝️this is called hunting. Get in close and then closer.

As has been stated either the 30-06 or 7MM Mag will be great for PG in Africa. I would choose the rifle that you have the most confidence in. Your 4-12 scopes will be just fine. As for ammo, use heavy for caliber and bonded bullets like A-Frames, Accubonds, Partitions or mono metal like the Barnes or Hornady CX work great on African game. But if your rifles shoots one of the old fashion cup and core bullets like the Remington Core Lock really well I would not hesitate to use them provided you go with heavy for caliber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarshaBott

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.