Opinions On SxS Shotgun Brands

Champlin in Ok usually has a few of what Red Leg refers to, and of course they have JJ. If he says they are good, then I trust him fully. As a matter of fact they currently have one RL's favorites, a Cashmore 12 bore, looking for a home!!!

Champlin in Ok usually has a few of what Red Leg refers to, and of course they have JJ. If he says they are good, then I trust him fully. As a matter of fact they currently have one RL's favorites, a Cashmore 12 bore, looking for a home!!!
JJ is one of those very few who's judgement I would trust without reservation. Another is Digory Hadoke who works out of the UK and US and provides a buying service.http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/

JJ is one of those very few who's judgement I would trust without reservation. Another is Digory Hadoke who works out of the UK and US and provides a buying service.http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/

I was aware of the Vintage Guns in Richardson TX, but have never visited. Had never previously heard of Digory Hadoke. Unusual that he has had a nearly pure academic background. I'll have to check out the location of his London shop relative to the gathering of many others in one general area in central London.

Have not been to Vintage Guns since moving down, but a recent article in some magazine looked intriguing. Digory did have an interest and office in a shop in Houston. Not sure that is still a going concern.

Make that Vintage Guns address, Richmond, Texas not Richardson!

There is also a shop in Mississippi that specializes in fine shotguns Steve barnett fine guns. He's got a website under that name just another place to look usually has a great selection. Shop itself is by appointment only. Located in West Point Mississippi. I have bought a few guns from there and have been satisfied. In the guns and the deals I have gotten there. Just wanted to add this one to the list.

I have an old Savage Fox Model B and the gun is still running like a champ for such an affordable old thing.

Ditto what Saul Said
pix436991898.jpg

Been shooting a Parker Damascus circa 1900 20 on a 28 frame since a teenager

and added repro 20 and 12 some years ago.

Just a hard habit to break, I guess. Pumps and autos just do not do it for me.

Attachments

• P1000334.jpg
    P1000334.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 180
  • P1010105.jpg
    P1010105.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
Have not been to Vintage Guns since moving down, but a recent article in some magazine looked intriguing. Digory did have an interest and office in a shop in Houston. Not sure that is still a going concern.
Red Leg, I am reading Wieland's book on British Shotguns now, and have Digory's on the desk standing by when I finish Wieland's. So much to learn! Especially since I'll be shopping in London and Birmingham the third week of October looking for a 60-70 year old box lock in the $3000 to $4000 range, but a good find on a .275 Rigby may persuade me to go for the rifle. Shipping back to Florida should run me around $650. When I get to within about a week prior I will be calling Rigby also since they don't place their used rifles on the their website.

Red Leg, I am reading Wieland's book on British Shotguns now, and have Digory's on the desk standing by when I finish Wieland's. So much to learn! Especially since I'll be shopping in London and Birmingham the third week of October looking for a 60-70 year old box lock in the $3000 to $4000 range, but a good find on a .275 Rigby may persuade me to go for the rifle. Shipping back to Florida should run me around $650. When I get to within about a week prior I will be calling Rigby also since they don't place their used rifles on the their website.
You should be able to find a superb boxlock for that kind of money. Since you are going, and I assume will be in London, I would suggest a call to William Evanshttp://www.williamevans.com/ and tell them what you are looking to find. Better yet, call Diggory. He is a Rigby agent, plus would likely have SxS's which would right in your wheelhouse. http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/company/diggory-hadoke/ I am sure he would be delighted to have an informed discussion with you about both desires and would be delighted to link-up in the UK.

You should be able to find a superb boxlock for that kind of money. Since you are going, and I assume will be in London, I would suggest a call to William Evanshttp://www.williamevans.com/ and tell them what you are looking to find. Better yet, call Diggory. He is a Rigby agent, plus would likely have SxS's which would right in your wheelhouse. http://www.vintageguns.co.uk/company/diggory-hadoke/ I am sure he would be delighted to have an informed discussion with you about both desires and would be delighted to link-up in the UK.
Yes, William Evans always has a large selection of used guns on their website. I will certainly visit there even if I make a purchase at one of the other shops prior to my arriving there!

I currently use an AYA 12 ga 2 3/4" bored IC and Mod and an Arrieta (Orvis import) 20 ga 2 3/4" bored Cyl and IC. Both are easy to carry and move very smoothly. I use the 20 mostly for preserve pheasants and chuckar and the 12 for wild birds.
I've owned or used Grulla, Beretta, Savage Fox, Merkel, LC Smith, Winchester, and maybe a couple of others my white hair has forgotten. The AYA and Arrieta are the closest I could afford to a classic English SxS game gun, but I have no complaints about their reliability nor handling.
They have killed upland birds in Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas and Colorado.
If you hunt behind a pointer, the 2 3/4" 20 ga will take any upland bird out there.

I have to say that the recommendation to speak with Diggory Hadoke was the best advice on this thread. I've owned more than a 100 fine shotguns and I confess that the quality and finish of all the initial brands rattled off are quite low compared to British guns.

You can get a soul-filled fine Birmingham 20 bore boxlock from the golden era that is an appreciating asset for the same money as an Arieta, AyA, Garbi, Union Armera/Grulla, Parker Repro or the ever-dreadful-total-garbage Tony Galazan CSMC RBL guns.

Keep in mind I shoot a best grade 217 Grulla 12/16 bore at present for my daily shooter that I put away wet and abuse in general. MSRP $18000. Purchased for $4000. Worth: $4000. It is by all measures a PoS when compared to any hand filed, utility grade boxlock ejector made in Birmingham. The engraving quality of the Spanish and German and Belgian and French stuff on the whole is inferior to the British. (some occasional exceptions)

Once you go Brit, you never go back. I only own a Spanish modern gun because it has chokes, shoots steel and has 3" chambers for fowling. Otherwise, give me ANY brit gun and I'd be much happier.

Example: Found a lovely Churchill XXV 20 bore extractor that had a stock extension so it had lowered value. Mint Galazan has one for $12,000. This one with a chopped stock went for about $2000. There is no modern gun its equal for 3-4x its price. It was just a deal because it was converted to extractor and because it had a stock extension. Life is too short to accumulate ill fitting, rough made guns. Go vintage Brit.

+1!

I have to say that the recommendation to speak with Diggory Hadoke was the best advice on this thread. I've owned more than a 100 fine shotguns and I confess that the quality and finish of all the initial brands rattled off are quite low compared to British guns.

You can get a soul-filled fine Birmingham 20 bore boxlock from the golden era that is an appreciating asset for the same money as an Arieta, AyA, Garbi, Union Armera/Grulla, Parker Repro or the ever-dreadful-total-garbage Tony Galazan CSMC RBL guns.

Keep in mind I shoot a best grade 217 Grulla 12/16 bore at present for my daily shooter that I put away wet and abuse in general. MSRP $18000. Purchased for $4000. Worth: $4000. It is by all measures a PoS when compared to any hand filed, utility grade boxlock ejector made in Birmingham. The engraving quality of the Spanish and German and Belgian and French stuff on the whole is inferior to the British. (some occasional exceptions)

Once you go Brit, you never go back. I only own a Spanish modern gun because it has chokes, shoots steel and has 3" chambers for fowling. Otherwise, give me ANY brit gun and I'd be much happier.

Example: Found a lovely Churchill XXV 20 bore extractor that had a stock extension so it had lowered value. Mint Galazan has one for $12,000. This one with a chopped stock went for about $2000. There is no modern gun its equal for 3-4x its price. It was just a deal because it was converted to extractor and because it had a stock extension. Life is too short to accumulate ill fitting, rough made guns. Go vintage Brit.
What did Red Leg call it, a certifiable madness? It sound that you may have a spot of yourself! I'm still working on it!!!

The Brits at their height couldn't even beat a rag-tag bunch of colonists and now you're telling me that their guns are a quantum leap over other? Well, I guess you didn't compare the Brits to the best grade US guns such as Winchester and Parker, so I'll give you some slack on that.

The Brits at their height couldn't even beat a rag-tag bunch of colonists and now you're telling me that their guns are a quantum leap over other? Well, I guess you didn't compare the Brits to the best grade US guns such as Winchester and Parker, so I'll give you some slack on that.
When it comes to SxS guns and rifles it is not even close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddragontiger4d

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.