One rifle for North American big game?

I know you asked for one gun, however your range of animals and area beg for two. My choice for Fla. would be a Marlin guide gun in 45-70. The other would be a 300 Win mag because you may be in grizz country. Either one could back up the other in the right circumstances. Other then that a 338 win mag

500 Jeffery, "they don't get up"

full

Last edited by a moderator:
500 Jeffery, "they don't get up"

full
That sure is a beautiful rifle sir. I realize that your immense love for it makes you suggest that it could be the one rifle for all North American big game.
I wonder, in light of this post and its clear power curve, if we shouldn't amend this question?

How about what is the largest rifle for North American big game that is still easily sustainable? How far down do we drop in the power curve there?
By sustainable, I mean I can go to a store locally and purchase loaded ammunition ideally and if not at least purchase components. I'll bet this drives it down well below .458 in a lot of places. Around my home I can drive to a store locally and get up to .338 just about everywhere. Some .458 light weight projectiles are available and some loaded .45-70, but .375 is not easily found loads or otherwise nor is .458WM/Lott. I'll bet it's a .300 or .338 WM for most places.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say if you're young, recoil sensitive and immortal a 270 Win with 150g Partitions at 2900 to 3000 fps would do the trick for everything including brown bear. It's what I used for a long time including a couple of dozen elk, many deer, 9 bears (finishing shots on two grizzlies in the thick stuff when I was a guide in my 20s). Next step up the 30-06, then the 300 Win Mag. After that I would go straight to a 375 H&H in a light rifle (ours weighs 7 1/2 lbs with scope).

I look at your question here and look for the "worst" case scenario. The worst case would be elk at long distance in my opinion. For that I'd prefer my .300 Win Mag loaded with 180gr projectiles. The bullets need to be strong bullets that won't break up on that little whitetail taken up close in Florida. I'd put the 7mm Remington Mag as another alternative.

Having said that, if you're recoil intolerant, moving down to a .30-06 or .270 will work too.
I think worst case would be polar bear at close distance. ;)

Hello,

Wondering if any North American hunters can help me out.
I am wondering if anyone could suggest a rifle to sort of "do it all" for North American big game.

The main things I will hunt with it are Whitetail Deer and Wild Hogs in Florida.
However, there are other hunts I plan to do with this ride - out in the west for pronghorn, elk, and mule deer - as well as black bear somewhere further north.

First of all, what caliber would be suggested to take all these species? On average they will be 100-200 pound animals, so it needs to b comfortable to us for that - while still having the power to handle a 500+ pound elk.

As far as rifle action, weight, barrel length, and scope variation - what would you suggest? It's got to be comfortable in denser cover for hunting Florida, but still able to take game to 250+ yards for pronghorn and mule deer.

Can't wait to hear your suggestions.
Drew
Biggie: It’s already been done - also a Book written about it…30-06. It’s easy to select another dozen or more calibers that could do it just as well — .308, .270, .300wm etc…. Just focus on bullet “placement” and pick a caliber you like and can find ammo for. Have fun and enjoy your hunting !!

I'd highly recommend a .338 Winchester Magnum. Absolutely magnificent for everything in North America, including the largest of African grizzly bears.
Hunter-Habib: Certainly the .338wm is great and can also give the shooter that very “distinctive” Magnum Eyebrow —— a Look that proves they shoot a Big magnum

Even though I don’t currently own a rifle in this calibre, I would have to go with a nice bolt action in 30-06. It’s ballistics and wide range of bullet weights make it very versatile for North American game.

My choice would be a 7mm-08 or, even better, a 7mm SAW if you’re a hand loader.

For me, I’d go with a medium contour 22” - 24” Bartlein barrel & 8.5” twist. Manners stock & Zermatt action. Timney or Trigger tech trigger. Hawkins M5 BDL bottom metal with Wyatt’s extended mag box. Hawkins rings & Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50.

I’d load 160 Nosler Accubonds or 180 Hornady ELDMs if you want to venture into long range work.

I think with the range of shots on offer in NA from long distance shots in the mountains at sheep to close woodland shots at moose and everything in between, I personally would go for a 7mm Rem Mag. Oh I have one! A nice Callum Ferguson example

S

Even though I don’t currently own a rifle in this calibre, I would have to go with a nice bolt action in 30-06. It’s ballistics and wide range of bullet weights make it very versatile for North American game.
The 338 WM with 225 grain bullets has about the same trajectory as the 30-06 with 165/180 grain bullets but more power for elk, moose and brown bear. It’s a bit much for pronghorn but I have used it and stayed away from the shoulder for meat reasons.

338 win mag and pick your bullet for what you plan to hunt. 160 grain Barnes work well and recoil is light for deer etc, then heavy bullets for the big bear.

I'd highly recommend a .338 Winchester Magnum. Absolutely magnificent for everything in North America, including the largest of African grizzly bears.
@Hunter-Habib
African grizzly bears???? Where do you hunt them
Bob

Why not the 35 Whelen?
@steve white
The Whelen is for those that are educated and have class. Very versatile that can go from a little plinker with 158 gn cast to a bone crushing tower of power that will do all the 338 wm will do without knocking your hat off when y'all pulls da trigga.
The mighty Whelen is a TRUE all-rounder.
Bob

338 win mag and pick your bullet for what you plan to hunt. 160 grain Barnes work well and recoil is light for deer etc, then heavy bullets for the big bear.
@Mountaineer
Or even BETTER pick a nice 35 Whelen and do a better job and have even more fun. Covers everything from mild to long range and up to close and personal with a bucket full of bone crushing power
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.