One gun or two? On safari

Personally, I'm not flying anywhere to hunt without 2 guns. I have too many guns to potentially be shorthanded somewhere on a once in a lifetime hunt. And I too would not want to use someone else's gun. Im familiar with my guns, i carefully selected components, scopes, etc.--and they're tack drivers! Any animal i shoot will be with my gun.

In terms of the selection, i think the 2 you chose are fine. I went last year for most of the same game, and went with 458 lott and 300 wby. Ended up not using the 300 wby though, and took everything with the lott.

Personally, I'd prefer a 416 or 458 for the buffalo, and some type of smaller magnum for everything else, like 300 win mag or 338 win mag. But plenty of people would say your choices are perfectly suitable, and I wouldn't disagree. Just not my specific preference if I'm going through my safes.

Taking two guns is no more of a hassle than taking one. A Pelican case accommodates two easily. If using the rifles in your collection is a substantial part of the pleasure of going on safari (as it is for me), then by all means take two. .357 and .308 are both extremely versatile and useful cartridges, with a good degree of functional overlap--as you should always have when you take multiple rifles.

I have taken two rifles on my safaris and using both has been a real pleasure for its own sake. Worst thing that can happen, you bloody only one.

If on the other hand the rifle is just a tool for you, then with a .375 you can span the gamut of small-ish ungulates up to the big stuff. In a pinch, if any of the Tiny 10 are on the menu, have a tracker carry one of the camp rifles in a smaller caliber--they will be glad to do it for you (don't forget to tip well).

And if you want to go extra-minimalist, just use the camp rifles and save yourself the paperwork and extra weight.
If using camp rifles, you are also using camp ammo--a pig in a poke, possibly. Is it legal to take ammo only to fit a camp rifle? You would have control of ammo quality/application. But can it even be done?

You boys are giving me ideas... next time to take 375 H&H and 30-06.
Buffalo and maybe something else.
What say you?

If using camp rifles, you are also using camp ammo--a pig in a poke, possibly. Is it legal to take ammo only to fit a camp rifle? You would have control of ammo quality/application. But can it even be done?
If you check in advance to see if the camp has a rifle in the same chambering as the rifle you are bringing, you can use your own ammo, and not bother with a back up rifle.

I fall in the take one rifle group. I take it a bit further and get a gun case that fits the rifle. If you rifle is 44 inches long, a 46 inch or 48 inch case will do. Folks buy a 52 inch case or bigger and stuff if full of gear adding to the weight. Added weight makes your case difficult to transport.

If I was to take two rifles it would be the same make and caliber.

The 300 grain 375 loadings are about the same trajectory as the 06 180 grain load out to about 200 yards.

I fall in the take one rifle group. I take it a bit further and get a gun case that fits the rifle. If you rifle is 44 inches long, a 46 inch or 48 inch case will do. Folks buy a 52 inch case or bigger and stuff if full of gear adding to the weight. Added weight makes your case difficult to transport.

If I was to take two rifles it would be the same make and caliber.

The 300 grain 375 loadings are about the same trajectory as the 06 180 grain load out to about 200 yards.
You are not allowed to bring two rifles of the same cartridge. However if you happen to have a travel companion (wife, son, brother, friend…etc), they can have their own rifle in the same cartridge as yours. More paperwork and a heavier case would be the downsides.

If you check in advance to see if the camp has a rifle in the same chambering as the rifle you are bringing, you can use your own ammo, and not bother with a back up rifle.
But can you bring ammo only in order to then use said ammo with a camp rifle??

In 2022, I went to the Eastern Cape and The Kalahari for plains game and a lioness. All I took was my CZ 550 in 375 H&H and used Barnes Vortex ammo in 300 grs TSX. Shot seven animals at the Eastern Cape, smallest was a warthog, and the largest was a cow cape buffalo. I then went to The Kalahari and shot a lioness with the 375 H&H. This trip made a believer of me on how versatile the 375 H&H is. Take one gun, and take the 375 H&H.
How did the TSX do on the lion? Did it go down quickly? Would you have chosen it as a stopper for a charge? (say, vs ttbc)

The biggest restriction is the amount of ammo you can bring with you. Second biggest is self imposed and that's the caliber(s) you plan to bring and the local availability and the amount you are willing to pay for it.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong, but RSA has a limit of three firearms. That is why I am only taking 3 otherwise my 44mag would be a fourth because my PH friend wants to shoot it and I would be carrying it as my back up for the cow buff hunt.

With the variety, some of the smallest PG to 1 DG, and number, 19 booked and 4 opportunity, of animals being hunted the 30-06 and 22 Hornet are the primary rifles, and 30-06 is a common caliber should I need to buy ammo. These are also the 2 calibers I'll be packing the most ammo for. Since the 458WM is for 1 buff and some shooting fun and also the heaviest ammo. I'll be packing the least ammo because it is also a common caliber to buy locally if more ammo is needed.

Then it'll be back to taking just 1 or 2 firearms depending where and what animals to be hunted next and number of hunting days.
Also a great opportunity to carry extra to leave with the PH--they have a hell of a time getting/affording ammo

But can you bring ammo only in order to then use said ammo with a camp rifle??
No.

You can only bring ammo that matches cartridge of the rifle you bring. And the ammo needs to have the same headstamp.

Also a great opportunity to carry extra to leave with the PH--they have a hell of a time getting/affording ammo

Also, some countries will require you to have all of your brass when you leave. They document how many cartridges you take in and it needs to match when you leave.

My bows always went in a soft sided case like a Badlands Terraglde and as compounds got shorter in checked suitcase. My wife used a Excalibur crossbow. The limbs come off and it also fits in a suitcase. It was nice to grab bags off the carousel and go. No firearms special room or paying people off to get through the long lines.

last trip was a take down recurve View attachment 598581View attachment 598582View attachment 598584View attachment 598583View attachment 598585
So, your bow AND arrows can just go in checked luggage? Wow, just wow!!

So, your bow AND arrows can just go in checked luggage? Wow, just wow!!
There is a bit of freedom but don’t be fooled. The handcuffs come with reduced range and having to pass on animals because they aren’t in the perfect orientation. Not to mention that many bow hunters in Africa end up sitting in a blind for hours hoping to get a shot.

Make sure you discuss with your PH the type of bow hunt you are going to get.

It’s a trade-off. Choose wisely.

I only have one DG rifle, a 375 H&H, so it is accompanied by 30'06, if accompanied at all. I did one DG hunt with just the 375. It was synthetic stocked, and stock work was all I thought about as a breakage risk. Since it was a Rem push feed, I didn't give extractors a thought. Everything went well, and I did not have opportunity to hunt PG, as I hunted till the last hours just to take the two buff. First DG was with a rented rifle, also a Remington, but interestingly, I brought my own 30'06 for extra animals. I didn't at that time even own a DG rifle! Today, I have an un-blooded Sako Safari in 375 that whines to be taken to Africa every time I pass the gun safe.
The gun I was most glad to have access to was a 12 ga Remington auto for sand grouse/doves!! I would GLADLY make room to take a shotgun next time. The wing shooting is a tremendous bonus, if you have the time or opportunity. If I am satisfied with a single shot for PG, then it occurs to me that my 12ga/8x57 drilling would make an ideal second rifle.

If I am taking dangerous game and plains game, I take my .375H&H and my .308. If there is no dangerous game to be hunted, I take my .308. I'm lazy, if I'm hunting plains game I refuse to carry a .375H&H rifle when my .308 w/scope weighs 5lbs 14oz.

I only have one DG rifle, a 375 H&H, so it is accompanied by 30'06, if accompanied at all. I did one DG hunt with just the 375. It was synthetic stocked, and stock work was all I thought about as a breakage risk. Since it was a Rem push feed, I didn't give extractors a thought. Everything went well, and I did not have opportunity to hunt PG, as I hunted till the last hours just to take the two buff. First DG was with a rented rifle, also a Remington, but interestingly, I brought my own 30'06 for extra animals. I didn't at that time even own a DG rifle! Today, I have an un-blooded Sako Safari in 375 that whines to be taken to Africa every time I pass the gun safe.
The gun I was most glad to have access to was a 12 ga Remington auto for sand grouse/doves!! I would GLADLY make room to take a shotgun next time. The wing shooting is a tremendous bonus, if you have the time or opportunity. If I am satisfied with a single shot for PG, then it occurs to me that my 12ga/8x57 drilling would make an ideal second rifle.
Make sure you check to see that a semi-auto shotgun would be legal. I hear most countries will allow O/U’s and SxS’s but not semi-auto.

No.

You can only bring ammo that matches cartridge of the rifle you bring. And the ammo needs to have the same headstamp.

Also, some countries will require you to have all of your brass when you leave. They document how many cartridges you take in and it needs to match when you leave.
What countries count your brass ?
I was planning on leaving my 375 ruger ammo behind when I return + probably my .270win Norma oryx 150gr .

I’m thinking about just taking the 375 for everything ( buff , eland, kudos , waterbuck , nyala)
then someone mentioned maybe I should take the .308 also for the smaller stuff just in case
I don’t think there’s a just in case? ( wife definitely doesn’t want to hunt for anything, buddies wife might?)
2 is 1, 1 is none. Just take 2 if you can. Even if you don’t need one, it is worth having a spare.

If I am taking dangerous game and plains game, I take my .375H&H and my .308. If there is no dangerous game to be hunted, I take my .308. I'm lazy, if I'm hunting plains game I refuse to carry a .375H&H rifle when my .308 w/scope weighs 5lbs 14oz.

I don't like being in an area in Africa where there are dangerous game without being appropriately armed, whether I am hunting these game or not. On a game ranch in Namibia or South Africa I would maybe also walk around only armed with a small caliber rifle, but I don't hunt there. I hunted for years in West-Africa without a backup and therefore had to rely on myself in dangerous situations. In danger my local guides always ran away faster than me. It's sure that If you are hunting with a PH, it's certainly easier to decide what rifle to carry and so to use a better suited rifle for the game that you hunt.

You boys are giving me ideas... next time to take 375 H&H and 30-06.
Buffalo and maybe something else.
What say you?
A classic combination for a safari. If you had to, you could get by with just the .375, but where's the fun in that? I, for one, do not like using a rifle and ammo that I'm unfamiliar with. You will be well set with the rifles you've selected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottieStok

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.