One final rodeo, bolt-action or double rifle for my last big bore thumper?

He who dies with the most guns wins. :)

Probably not, but everyone has their own life to live, and every life will end. Can’t take anything with you so I guess what’s important is what you enjoy now, and what you want to leave as a legacy.

It will be different for everyone

So one that that has become very apparent here in Canada is that when looking at the >0.5cal DG cartridges, 500NE is the only one that be found in stock regarding factory ammo.

In the last 3 years that I've been interested in these kinds of firearms, I've never once come across factory 500J or 505 Gibbs ammo.

Assuming I can find a double that is regulated for either Federal, Hornady or.Barnes 500NE, that seems to be the safest route to go.

So one that that has become very apparent here in Canada is that when looking at the >0.5cal DG cartridges, 500NE is the only one that be found in stock regarding factory ammo.

In the last 3 years that I've been interested in these kinds of firearms, I've never once come across factory 500J or 505 Gibbs ammo.

Assuming I can find a double that is regulated for either Federal, Hornady or.Barnes 500NE, that seems to be the safest route to go.
I shoot a 505G and 500NE double . Basically the same effect on game . 500J also likely the same . Norma did load for 505G with their PH range of ammo. The 500 NE is a very good fallback option .

So I just ordered some 500NE ammo, looks like I'm committed.

Double it is!

Thanks everyone.

Congrats, you can’t go back, alea iacta est!

You will not regret it , it is wonderful to shoot 500NE

I'd like to thank the AH community for helping me spend my money on my last three DG rifle choices including a 375H&H, 416 Rigby and 458 WinMag.

I'm looking to add one final thumper to the collection and would like to make it special one. My initial thought is to go with a double rifle as they are more unique than a bolt-action and will make for a great conversation piece and heirloom. If double rifle I'd be going with either .470NE or 500NE. Considering Merkels, Krieghoffs and Heyms.

On the other hand I'm also drawn to a premium bolt-action along the lines of a ParkWest Arms, Mauser or Rigby in a caliber other than the 3 mentioned above. Something in 450 Rigby, 500J or 505Gibbs would be fun.

If you owned bolt actions in the above 3 calibers (CZ's, Winchesters) and wanted a final DG rifle that felt a little more special, which direction would you go with? This decision is not dependent on hunting any specific game, just for the pure enjoyment of owning it. Budget: up to 20K Canadian.
@Northern Shooter
Nothing screams bigbore than a double in 470 or 500. It is the quintessential rifle if Africa.
Bob

@375Ruger416
Fortunately I have a Whelen then. A double is well above my pay grade.
Bob
Me too. I also like the idea of a magazine rifle with the ability to zero for different distances and for different loads.

No question, for certain purposes a double rifle is probably the best option but I think that even if I had the funds I would be a magazine rifle guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveI79146

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,