Old Africa

DTOdd

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Is there one country that you could say over all the other countries in Africa, that is still considered wild and untamed? I've watched shows and read articles and my idea of Africa is different then what I've seen on outfitters website. When I think of Africa, I think of huge fields with brown grass and large herds of animals. What country is more in line with that thinking?

In general countries in Southern or East Africa are not wild and untamed. Between roads, vehicles, commercial air, local air charters etc. most countries are easily accessible and most cities while not exactly western are very livable.

If you are referring to areas to hunt several countries hold vast areas where people are not allowed to live and only hunting or photo safari take place.

The Selous in Tanzania is a good example. IIRC the Selous is over 10 million acres. It has been over eight years since I have been but there were good concentrations of game when I was there. There also huge concessions in western Tanzania that are very remote.

Mozambique has some huge tracts of land with good game concentrations as well as many other countries.

Are you thinking about hunting or is this just a general question?

In general countries in Southern or East Africa are not wild and untamed. Between roads, vehicles, commercial air, local air charters etc. most countries are easily accessible and most cities while not exactly western are very livable.

If you are referring to areas to hunt several countries hold vast areas where people are not allowed to live and only hunting or photo safari take place.

The Selous in Tanzania is a good example. IIRC the Selous is over 10 million acres. It has been over eight years since I have been but there were good concentrations of game when I was there. There also huge concessions in western Tanzania that are very remote.

Mozambique has some huge tracts of land with good game concentrations as well as many other countries.

Are you thinking about hunting or is this just a general question?

I'm very serious about a hunting trip to Africa in the next few years. To be honest I'm trying to get all the information I can together and then decide on where. I want to hunt PG but I would like to hunt in an untamed area.

You mean something like this?
Hluhluwe-Umfolozi
IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4787.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

Last edited:
If you can afford it a hunt in a couple of different areas of Tanzania is probably what you are really looking for especially if influenced by vintage books, movies and photos etc. Masailand is the classic Africa of tented camps, herds of buffalo and some of the less common critters. Places like Arusha, Mto wa Mbu, are areas where the movie HATARI was filmed. I have been there and its fantastic. On clear days you can see Kilimanjaro. It is the classic Africa. For a woodsier area the Selous is the ticket. I have not hunted there but it is by most accounts an excellent area. Kenya was also part of the classic safari but alas it has been closed for many years and is unlikely to ever reopen.

More like the second group of pictures.

Those pictures were taken from a platform that was situated in the middle of a property that was about 100,000 acres in Botswana. It was fenced on a perimeter. There are properties that are larger.

There is countryside the looks the same in Namibia and the same Biomes does stretch into parts of South Africa.
You are getting some excellent suggestions on locations that might be what you are looking for.

I'm very serious about a hunting trip to Africa in the next few years. To be honest I'm trying to get all the information I can together and then decide on where. I want to hunt PG but I would like to hunt in an untamed area.

Coutada Nine would be a good choice. Nice East Africa style tented camp, huge area, plenty of plainsgame, you will see lion, elephant, buffalo and lots of open country. Here is a link to a couple of reports.

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...zimbabwe-with-mokore-safaris.3824/#post-17258

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...mokore-safaris-in-coutada-9-mozambique.28556/

East Africa, either Kenya (no hunting), Tanz or Moz.

My wife went to Tanz a few years ago with a group of expat ladies to run the Kilimanjaro marathon (my wife did the half marathon). After the run, the group of 5 ladies did a 4 day "Serengeti under canvas tour." The photo in my avatar is one my wife took. I am hoping one day my wife will take me to Tanz! Here's another photo: Animals as far as the eye can see!

Africa 2014 2015 131.JPG

Some parts of Zambia are Old Africa! Not the wide plains with long grass but untouched wilderness. South Luangwa Valley for exaple. I've never hunted there but I explored many African counties with my special vehicle, more than 100,000 km. You'l find also in some parts of Namibia the "dusty and bloody grounds" of Old Africa", for example in the Caprivi strip or in the Khaudom. You may only drive in Khaudom in convoi with 2 or more cars. There are lot of elephants and you're potential dinner for the lions. No hunting area but bloody Africa. In the Caprivi strip you've some excellent hunting areas.

A little off subject, but I was watching TCM last night. They showed a 1937 Africa movie with Harry Carey in it. Huge herds of everything. Shooting of rhinos. Leopards attacking young hyenas then the mother ripping the leopard a new one. The natives looked like very real 1937ish.
Harry Carey and cohort were carrying huge exposed hammer doubles with cigar size cartridges.
After reading White Hunter, this was great to see old Africa films as they discussed in the book.

Sorry, "I'll return you to your channel."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhEngla

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.