Night hunting?

My son shot a genet with a 22mag with duplex reticle—hit it two times from about 40 yards. Very little damage to the pelt. I shot a caracal on the same trip from about 35 yards with a 25-06. Hope Dennis can fix it! Duplex leuopold scope. We had no problems with light and scopes. Good advice earlier—practice shooting quickly!

My son shot a genet with a 22mag with duplex reticle—hit it two times from about 40 yards. Very little damage to the pelt. I shot a caracal on the same trip from about 35 yards with a 25-06. Hope Dennis can fix it! Duplex leuopold scope. We had no problems with light and scopes. Good advice earlier—practice shooting quickly!

Yeah, once you get on a springhare, he decides to jump three feet. Supposed to be some decent eating. At least that's what the bushmen say.

Yeah, once you get on a springhare, he decides to jump three feet. Supposed to be some decent eating. At least that's what the bushmen say.
My guess is that bushmen pretty much eat what they could find . . . not sure I'd think of any of the springhare I've taken as "decent eating", but then I've never tried it!

My only experience was my leopard in May. Having never shot anything at night before, I practiced with my buddy using a spotlight on a target. I used a Leopold VX-6 with an illuminated duplex reticle, turned down low. Love the setup. Just need to make sure and bring extra fresh batteries. The Trijicon is another option and solves the battery problem, but I have never tried one. +1 on everything Hank said. It was a little tense on the leopard at the moment of truth, but I got it done. He was dead 20 yards from the tree. Don't want to muff that shot!!!

If you want to mount your little night guys, don't use a high speed varmint bullet lest your quarry end up like this.

P1000282.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab77buzz

Latest profile posts

I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!