New US Customs policy pertaining to bows & arrows for hunting

TSA Pre-check applies for domestic flights within the US only. It has nothing to do with US Customs & Immigration and will not help you upon re-entry from foreign countries.

Global Entry will allow you to clear US Customs by scanning your passport via a self-service kiosk as opposed to waiting in the line which can be quite long depending on how busy your airpot is. If you have nothing to declare, you scan your passport, get a printed receipt from the kiosk and walk straight out. You will not have your baggage inspected unless you are traveling with firearms. It's a big time saver that is well worth it for some folks.

4-6 months is the processing estimate on a national average. I just had my Goddaughter's apply this past August and the entire process took about 6 weeks. You can start your application process online and the official US Customs and Border Protection site which will direct you to a calendar of available appointment dates for your in-person interview. The availability of the appointment dates will give you a much more accurate idea of the actual processing time. Once you complete your in-person interview which takes all of 5 minutes, they usually send you your card within a few weeks. There are also several online vendors that can expedite the process for a service fee. I have never used one of them, but it's worth a look to see how much they charge and how fast they can get it done for you.

Without Global Entry, it's wise to plan for a minimum of 2 hours between your arriving international flight and your domestic connection. You will be required to go through the normal check in and inspection lines and may have your baggage checked which can take a while if the airport is busy.. If you are traveling with guns, inspection of your gun case is not optional. It will be inspected. Once you clear Customs and Immigration, you will have to re-check your luggage for your domestic flight. Even 2 hours is cutting it close if your port of entry is a busy one like Atlanta or Newark.. Hope this info helps! Good Luck!
We're flying into Houston and have about a 2.5 hr layover. We'll see what happens.

If they checked my bow case, they did it without me present. And apparently didn't notice the scab in the broken arrow shaft I brought home.

Flew from JNB to ATL yesterday. Rifle cases and bow cases are still going through all of that. And they're making you take your hunting boots out of your suitcase, and spraying them with disinfectant. Same for boots you're wearing, but not sneakers etc. They do put them in individual plastic bags for you, so the spray doesn't transfer onto your other items. They were reasonably efficient (also very professional and courteous), but I was last in line and it took over an hour. Allow a 4-hour layover at ATL if you have a connecting flight. At least. Your JNB etc flight might not take of exactly on time.

In two trips to South Africa and back I have not had my boots sprayed or even asked about once I arrived back here in the US. However the second time I did transfer through Doha instead of having a direct flight back. But the first time I flew directly from Joberg to Dulles.

Mine connected in Frankfort before flying to DC. I wonder if Atlanta's the only one doing this.

Ours were sprayed in Atlanta last September. Not that much of a slow down. Sometimes you just have go with the flow.

Next week I'll be flying United from Newark direct to JNB. I have "No gun" stickers all over the case. We'll see how they handle it in Newark.
If they can't tell the difference between a bow and a rifle case, how do you expect them to read?

Screenshot_20230813-182436.png

International not a gun sign

If they can't tell the difference between a bow and a rifle case, how do you expect them to read?

The differences in the appearance of the cases are not that obvious especially to non-hunters.

From my experiences, they apparently can and do read because I have not had my bow case get mistakenly sent to SAPS since I started labeling it as "bow & arrow... not a gun"...

The differences in the appearance of the cases are not that obvious especially to non-hunters.

From my experiences, they apparently can and do read because I have not had my bow case get mistakenly sent to SAPS since I started labeling it as "bow & arrow... not a gun"...

We had no issues in SA.. they knew and understood our bow cases were not rifle cases.. and we had no problems...

Returning to the US was another issue.. the customs agent stamping our passports insisted that bows were "weapons" and therefore had to go through the same inspection and re-entry process as a rifle.. and sent us to the area at DFW where rifles get cleared..

The agent responsible for clearing our bows had no idea why we were there or what he was supposed to do.. he spent 10 minutes just trying to figure out why we were there.. and then just decided the easiest path was to treat the bows like rifles.. he wanted our 4457 (I told him we didnt bring 4457's with us because bows dont require them... which satisfied him).. then he wanted the serial number, make, and model of each bow... only one bow actually had the sticker on it that had the make, model, and serial number imprinted on it.. so I explained to him that bows arent actually engraved with serial numbers like rifles.. which satisfied him... then he wanted to inspect the arrows to make sure they matched the bow... so I explained to him the arrows are more about the person and the quarry than the bow.. that the arrows I shoot are longer than the arrows my wife shoots, etc.. because they fit our personal draw lengths and preferences.. that there isnt a set arrow length, weight, design for a specific bow, etc..etc..

this conversation went on for the better part of 30-40 minutes.. until he finally gave up and just let us leave the airport..

he was polite about everything and easy to deal with.. it was just obvious that neither he, nor the guy that actually sent us to see him, had a clue about what process is or is not appropriate for a bow re-entering the US.. and neither actually cared enough to look it up or confirm with someone who might know what the process is or is not.. they were clearly just winging it..

DFW has never checked my boots when returning from a hunt in Africa.. or any of the other dozens upon dozens of trips I have made all over East, Central, Southern, and West Africa where I have been out on farms or in rural areas... but it seems Atlanta fairly routinely checks peoples boots and disinfects them.. Ive never had them checked at Dulles, or Chicago, or Newark either when I have flown directly into those airports from African countries..

Clearly just something that started in ATL at some point for some reason that isnt an actual federal standard or requirement.. but has stuck..

I have experienced the boot spraying in Atlanta each of the seven times I have returned from Africa, beginning in 2008 and every trip since. My friend that was with me in 2008 seemed shocked by this at the time, and he had been to South Africa countless times, and I believe normally returned through ATL. So, perhaps that's about when it began.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread with updates on their experiences.

I think all who have replied here have returned via Atlanta. I would like to hear from anyone flying with archery equipment who has flown United returning to Newark or Qatar returning to Dallas?

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread with updates on their experiences.

I think all who have replied here have returned via Atlanta. I would like to hear from anyone flying with archery equipment who has flown United returning to Newark or Qatar returning to Dallas?
I flew returning to Dulles. Relayed my experience and posted it here.

My recent experience flying Qatar from DFW was positive.. but a bit of a PIA initially..

the Qatar desk wanted to treat the bows like firearms.. they asked for my confirmation of notifying them 30 days in advance.. I told them it wasn't a requirement per their website and regulations.. that bows are "sporting equipment" and treated like any other sporting equipment.. they then said ok, but proceeded to make me fill out all of the typical paperwork for a firearm (declare it, surrender it, etc etc...).. then sent me to the TSA agent to have him inspect the bow prior to loading it just like they do a rifle..

The TSA agent was a little confused by it.. but went through with the process..

All in all it took us about an extra 30-40 minutes to get checked in as a result of having the bows with us...

Everyone was polite, kind, helpful, etc.. but.. it was definitely a little bit of a chaotic mess..

My recent experience flying Qatar from DFW was positive.. but a bit of a PIA initially..

the Qatar desk wanted to treat the bows like firearms.. they asked for my confirmation of notifying them 30 days in advance.. I told them it wasn't a requirement per their website and regulations.. that bows are "sporting equipment" and treated like any other sporting equipment.. they then said ok, but proceeded to make me fill out all of the typical paperwork for a firearm (declare it, surrender it, etc etc...).. then sent me to the TSA agent to have him inspect the bow prior to loading it just like they do a rifle..

The TSA agent was a little confused by it.. but went through with the process..

All in all it took us about an extra 30-40 minutes to get checked in as a result of having the bows with us...

Everyone was polite, kind, helpful, etc.. but.. it was definitely a little bit of a chaotic mess..

Airline ticket agents not knowing their own rules is pretty common. If I haven't already said it, it's always a good idea to print or screenshot your airline's rules pertaining to traveling with archery equipment and have it ready to show to them upon check-in.

What was your experience with U.S. Customs and your archery gear upon re-entry into the USA at DFW?

Airline ticket agents not knowing their own rules is pretty common. If I haven't already said it, it's always a good idea to print or screenshot your airline's rules pertaining to traveling with archery equipment and have it ready to show to them upon check-in.

What was your experience with U.S. Customs and your archery gear upon re-entry into the USA at DFW?

A bit of a shit show honestly... but not too terrible all things considered..

We collected our bows on the baggage carousel and proceeded to the customs line.. the customs guy thought the cases contained rifles and didnt understand how we had them in our possession.. we explained that they were bows.. he then got very inquisitive about why we would be traveling with bows.. we explained that we had been hunting in South Africa..

While he wasnt a complete ass, it was very obvious he was not a hunter and very likely opposed to it.. his attitude changed immediately..

He then put our passports into the little plastic lock boxes they use and referred us over to the section where customs does baggage searches and clears firearms with no further explanation..

No big deal.. we went where we were told to go...

We stood in line (by ourselves) for about 5 minutes before a different customs agent came over and asked "do you have firearms to clear?".. we explained "no, we have bows".. he then asked "why are you here?" to which I responded "we went where we were told.." and handed him the plastic lock box that contained all of our passports (there were 3 of us traveling together)..

He banged on his computer for about 5-10 minutes trying to pull up information.. and asked several questions related to why we were referred over to him.. I just continued to explain to him that I had no idea.. I have traveled with bows before and they have always just been treated like any other bag.. but this time I was told to report to him, so I did..

He then asked me for a CBP 4457.. I explained I didnt have one, that bows were not treated like firearms and I didnt think I was required to have one to bring the bow back into the country..

He spent another few minutes banging on the computer trying to figure out how he was going to clear the bows.. and came up short.. you could tell he was getting pretty frustrated (not with us.. but with the process).. he finally just asked me to open the bow cases so he could inspect them..

He didnt know what else to do.. so he tried to treat them like rifles.. he wanted to know the make, model, serial number, etc.. I explained to him that most bows just have a sticker on them that have a serial number.. they arent engraved like a rifle.. he couldnt get his mind wrapped around that.. and that the make and model were usually just printed onto the limbs and riser in different places for different manufacturers.. that sent him spinning as well..

After probably 10 more minutes of "inspecting" each of the 2 bows, he finally just gave up, handed us our passports, and told us "have a nice day"...

He was pleasant and professional... you could just tell he had no clue what he was doing or why... and took way too long to do it because he had no clue.. and was getting frustrated.. because he had no clue..

Truth be told I am highly doubtful this happens very often (hence him having no clue).. and was likely the result of the other customs agent just being an ass and trying to cause us discomfort.. when all he really did was piss off and inconvenience his fellow agent..

It took us a little extra time to get out of the airport as a result.. but really not a big deal.. Im used to it taking an hour to collect bags at DFW (they are notoriously slow).. this particular time we had our bags in less than 15 minutes.. and Im used to standing in line to clear immigration about 20-30 minutes minimum (even with Global Entry) at DFW.. this time it only took about 5 minutes.. there was no line to speak of at immigration...

So even with the additional delay with customs and baggage clearance, we still made it out of the airport faster than most days coming into DFW from an international trip..

A bit of a shit show honestly... but not too terrible all things considered..

I now see that you already explained the US Customs return process in your first post. I apologize for making you repeat yourself. I mistakenly thought that you were conveying your experience in DFW going to Africa.
Great information! (y)

Returned to Seattle from a rifle hunt earlier this year. I always pack my boots last so's they're on top and easy to reach when asked to have a look-see.

Never, not even once has anyone ever asked to see my boots. Kind of a bummer, really, 'cause I'd like them to hand out official little stickers after inspection that I could then paste on my boots indicating "these boots are made for walkin'" anywhere and everywhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.