New member from Northeast Georgia

Hi again JoePiperIV,

The .35 Whelen ya, it seems to me that it would be one of the best cartridges ever, for the majority of African critters.
But for reasons unknown, it never caught on there.
Equally as puzzling, it never really caught on anywhere.

With 250 gr bullet, its reputation of dropping large animals like a .375 but with less recoil, might be well deserved.
And with 225 gr spitzers it certainly shoots plenty flat enough for longish shots at smaller targets.
I know hunters here in Alaska where I live, who own .35 Whelens, but not many.

You’d think that for N. America the .35 Whelen would be popular in the regions where moose, grizzly and bison are hunted.
And you’d think it would be popular in areas of Africa where large antelopes (eland, bongo, waterbuck, etc.) plus “the armored car of plains game” (zebra) :ROFLMAO: are commonly hunted.

I have never shot a lion with anything, much less a .35 Whelen.
But if it was legal to use on them, I would bet good money that it’d work well enough with 250 gr bullets, especially today’s bonded ones, such as the Swift A-Frame.

The .35 Whelen should’ve become popular .
I guess it could not compete with the various belted magnums.
Apparently, a large percentage of hunters seem to think a “magnum” this or that, will kill things deader than anything based on the boring old .30-06 cartridge.

Anyway, if and when you find a 1903 Springfield action, I look forward to reading up on your rifle build.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Welcome from NW Ga. You’ll find plenty of good info and general good natured folks around here.

Welcome aboard Joe! I'm south of you, live in Middle Georgia. Safari is not out of reach, and it doesn't have to be a bucket list item. If you are going to spend the money taking pictures, might as well hunt and take pictures too.

Welcome to AH Joe!

Welcome to AH! Glad to have you on board.

Hello everybody,

I found this place while doing a Google search for a 1903 Springfield action. I had never heard of this site before and was amazed when I started reading at the knowledge base here. I have never been to Africa (been fishing in Alaska several times) but a Safari is definitely a bucket list item for me. I hope to not catch too much flack for this but I would primarily want to tote a camera, but having a 375 H&H in case things got exciting would be prudent. Anyways glad to be here and I look forward to seeing as many amazing pictures as y'all are willing to share.

Joe
Welcome!
Im from Birmingham, got lake cabin and hunting land in Lagrange. Ive bought some 375HHs recently if u have any questions. Oh yeah, ammo is a big debate too, spend the money and get the 300 grain Swift A frames, u wont regret it.

Hello everybody,

I found this place while doing a Google search for a 1903 Springfield action. I had never heard of this site before and was amazed when I started reading at the knowledge base here. I have never been to Africa (been fishing in Alaska several times) but a Safari is definitely a bucket list item for me. I hope to not catch too much flack for this but I would primarily want to tote a camera, but having a 375 H&H in case things got exciting would be prudent. Anyways glad to be here and I look forward to seeing as many amazing pictures as y'all are willing to share.

Joe
Welcome to AH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you