New Guy from Northern California

beandog

Reaction score
Greetings all,

New to the forum, new to hunting Africa. I've hunted western big game for most of my life. I also love to hunt upland birds, waterfowl and fishing. I purchased a hunt with Thormahlen & Cochran at a veterans benefit dinner and I'm planning on making the most of it by having my wife and daughter tag along. I'm going to have a million questions, as I've never been to Africa. Looking forward to any and all advice, good or bad.

Good day! Welcome to AH!

Greetings all,

New to the forum, new to hunting Africa. I've hunted western big game for most of my life. I also love to hunt upland birds, waterfowl and fishing. I purchased a hunt with Thormahlen & Cochran at a veterans benefit dinner and I'm planning on making the most of it by having my wife and daughter tag along. I'm going to have a million questions, as I've never been to Africa. Looking forward to any and all advice, good or bad.
Welcome! What country are you hunting and what animals would you like to take?

Doug

I live in Fort Bragg. Spent a couple tours in the Coast Guard here, married a local gal and never left. I'll be hunting South Africa. It's a 2 animal hunt, Blesbuck or Impala and Blue Wildebeest or Gemsbuck.

WELCOME. THORMAHLEN WILL TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOU.

Welcome to AH.
You will get plenty of answers to your questions here.

I live in Fort Bragg. Spent a couple tours in the Coast Guard here, married a local gal and never left. I'll be hunting South Africa. It's a 2 animal hunt, Blesbuck or Impala and Blue Wildebeest or Gemsbuck.
That's cool. I would take a .30-06 or .300 WM. with good 180 or 200 grain bonded bullets. I like Accubonds myself and have never recovered one, but some here like monos and will tell you those are better.

Fort Bragg! Really? My family settled in Point Arena in 1850. My grandfather was born in Casper in the 1890s. The family ranch is still located at Manchester. Personally, I grew up in Napa. I've spent so much time on the Mendocino coast, it's really fun to.meet someone that lives there.

Welcome again!

Doug

That's crazy!!! Small world for sure. I am good friends with the Stornetta's in Manchester. I spend quite a bit of time during the fall down there hunting.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

That's crazy!!! Small world for sure. I am good friends with the Stornetta's in Manchester. I spend quite a bit of time during the fall down there hunting.

Thanks for all the welcomes.
I know some Stornettas too!

Welcome! Certainly glad to have you here with us!

Make sure you are prepared to take some other animals when you finally get there-Africa is filled with diversity and beauty, you will have an excellent time-Welcome!

Make sure you are prepared to take some other animals when you finally get there-Africa is filled with diversity and beauty, you will have an excellent time-Welcome!
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think anyone.ever went on his first trip to Africa and just shot two PG animals and said, "that's all I want."

Upland birds are also a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Welcome, you will love going to Africa!

Welcome to AH beandog!

Greetings all,

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniWisdom

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,