New "classic" .318 Westley Richards?

Have a savage 30.06 new stainless pulled the barrel having a drop.in made ...heavy barrel.fluted with tactical.stock ........a
So a 21st Century 318wr tactical sniper

I know just a fun project as have a 1912 Wr and a Bsw Shul double
Also can swap out a 425wr

I had one build on a ZG47.
Special reamer ordered
Dies set from CH4D
I managed to collect a fair amount of Bertram brass and it’s easy to make your own from 30-06
Bullets from woodleigh and some bullets made in SA.

It’s Fine rifle perfect for Bushveld hunting.

I had one build on a ZG47.
Special reamer ordered
Dies set from CH4D
I managed to collect a fair amount of Bertram brass and it’s easy to make your own from 30-06
Bullets from woodleigh and some bullets made in SA.

It’s Fine rifle perfect for Bushveld hunting.

Please put some photos up. Sounds like a great combo.

The .318 WR has held a special place in my heart for a good while now. So much so, that I am currently in the process of building one on a vintage Mauser 98 receiver. Stuart Satterlee did the chambering of the Lothar barrel, feed work, etc., and I am currently finishing the stock myself.
For some, including me, hunting in Africa brings out the nostalgic feeling. Hunting with a classic caliber or rifle adds a special element to the hunt. Having a .470 NE double over my shoulder last August chasing buffalo in the Save Valley, took me back to a time of endless game fields and strings of porters in tow. Sadly, those days are gone but having the opportunity to hunt with a classic caliber or, if lucky, a classic caliber in an original vintage gun, takes it to another level.
I knew at some point I wanted to build one so I bought up all the Kynoch .318 ammo I could find when Midway was a stockist. C4HD made the dies which did take about a year to secure, Hawk makes a nice bullet for the .318, and Hendershot can custom load ammo with proper head stamped brass, when available.
I’m hoping to finish this one in the coming year and get some African dust and sun exposure the following year!

View attachment 568319View attachment 568320View attachment 568321View attachment 568322View attachment 568323View attachment 568324View attachment 568325View attachment 568326
That looks like it will turn out into a beautiful classic rifle, action looks like a 1909 Argentine ? I am very
happy with my 318 WR, brass from 30/06 ,250 grain Woodleigh bullets &180 grain copper bullets from
Atomic 29 in South Australia they shoot 3 shot sub MOA groups.

Since this thread has come back to life, I realize that I never updated the group. Did end up getting one: mine's not a pre-war model, but I think I should get partial credit. It's a Ken Owen built custom on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action.

signal-2023-11-12-18-26-30-663.jpg

Looks good to me TIN TIN.
Thanks Richard - appreciate your help on the upgrade :)

it shoots well, so I'm very happy with it - would love to get it Africa one day

With regards to the beautiful 318 WR rifles being shown - how many have Metford rifling ? Mine has Metford as do almost all my pre WW1 English rifles . I find they shoot very well and the barrels are all in good shape .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyHandley

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.