New "classic" .318 Westley Richards?

An interesting note. WDM Bell always speculated (in his final article on American Rifleman, prior to his death) that if he were to return to Africa again … he’d opt for a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Winchester. With a spare barrel in .318 Westley Richards.

Like others on this forum I was fascinated with the 318 WR . I was lucky to pick up this takedown version ( with a matching 425WR takedown) from a mate. It was made in 1908 . Has a 26 inch barrel and shoots really well . Was also able to pick up some period lead sealed ammo as well . Just a really nice rifle all round .

IMG_2414.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like others on this forum I was fascinated with the 318 WR . I was lucky to pick up this takedown version ( with a matching 425WR takedown) from a mate. It was made in 1908 . Has a 26 inch barrel and shoots really well . Was also able to pick up some period lead sealed ammo as well . Just a really nice rifle all round .
WOW.......Magnificent!!!!

Might depend on where you live but finding components or ammo for 318 may be an issue. Anyone contemplating a 318 would be advised to check out cost and availability first. Plenty of keyboard enablers say "go for it" but they have no responsibility for finding your ammo or components. But hey, if you are in Canada no problem. Saw this by Prophet River :):) (a better name would be Profit River!)

Attachments

• RCC Brass - .318 Westley Richard - 50ct - 31-0002R - Prophet River Firearms.pdf
    695.8 KB · Views: 40
I had good luck with Quality Cartridge 318WR. The really important thing is to NOT full length size your brass, not even when new. You need to pull the firing pin from your rifle, put in a live cartridge (or brass - bullet no powder/primer). You should feel the gun bumping the shoulder ever so barely in the final 1/4" of bolt turn over is bumping the shoulder. This ensures that you are headspacing on the neck.

IF you don't do it this way, you'll find you're getting too much stretch in the web, short brass life of perhaps only one firing,

Might depend on where you live but finding components or ammo for 318 may be an issue. Anyone contemplating a 318 would be advised to check out cost and availability first. Plenty of keyboard enablers say "go for it" but they have no responsibility for finding your ammo or components. But hey, if you are in Canada no problem. Saw this by Prophet River :):) (a better name would be Profit River!)
419 Canadian so a little more palatable

Lovely rifle. And yes, a takedown WR 318 is a very special thing. I have owned this one for nearly 20 years. This one loves a 250 gr bullet.
318 Westley Richards Takedown Rifle

I've been intrigued by the caliber for a while now as I'm a fan of the classics. Most options to purchase are either new custom builds or older used models. Recently, I came across a third option - converting a M70 to the old British style. Modern performance, classic looks, and the ability to mount a scope without destroying collector value. Yes, I know that there are probably cheaper rebarrel options, but a big part of the appeal to me is the classic look.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with R.J. Renner? Judging from their website, looks like the bulk of their business is taking factory models and prettying up to either classic English or Teutonic styles.

The .318 WR has held a special place in my heart for a good while now. So much so, that I am currently in the process of building one on a vintage Mauser 98 receiver. Stuart Satterlee did the chambering of the Lothar barrel, feed work, etc., and I am currently finishing the stock myself.
For some, including me, hunting in Africa brings out the nostalgic feeling. Hunting with a classic caliber or rifle adds a special element to the hunt. Having a .470 NE double over my shoulder last August chasing buffalo in the Save Valley, took me back to a time of endless game fields and strings of porters in tow. Sadly, those days are gone but having the opportunity to hunt with a classic caliber or, if lucky, a classic caliber in an original vintage gun, takes it to another level.
I knew at some point I wanted to build one so I bought up all the Kynoch .318 ammo I could find when Midway was a stockist. C4HD made the dies which did take about a year to secure, Hawk makes a nice bullet for the .318, and Hendershot can custom load ammo with proper head stamped brass, when available.
I’m hoping to finish this one in the coming year and get some African dust and sun exposure the following year!

BEA5D54F-8484-46D1-A357-B71559BAB25F.jpeg
40A3472B-E66F-49D0-987D-AD9F264B655E.jpeg
5FCEE5C6-829A-4986-B52C-60839241F637.jpeg
A8BE0322-1505-4CF3-8B08-F7F3B615A6C1.jpeg
C509543C-AF55-49AC-B60B-0D3F9C37930C.jpeg
42ADEC69-B86D-4777-B425-AC99A88AADDC.jpeg
2AF0D325-52D0-46D7-A66A-111176B0967B.jpeg
69A11187-3776-4782-A2FA-A167603ACAC7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The .318 WR has held a special place in my heart for a good while now. So much so, that I am currently in the process of building one on a vintage Mauser 98 receiver. Stuart Satterlee did the chambering of the Lothar barrel, feed work, etc., and I am currently finishing the stock myself.
For some, including me, hunting in Africa brings out the nostalgic feeling. Hunting with a classic caliber or rifle adds a special element to the hunt. Having a .470 NE double over my shoulder last August chasing buffalo in the Save Valley, took me back to a time of endless game fields and strings of porters in tow. Sadly, those days are gone but having the opportunity to hunt with a classic caliber or, if lucky, a classic caliber in an original vintage gun, takes it to another level.
I knew at some point I wanted to build one so I bought up all the Kynoch .318 ammo I could find when Midway was a stockist. C4HD made the dies which did take about a year to secure, Hawk makes a nice bullet for the .318, and Hendershot can custom load ammo with proper head stamped brass, when available.
I’m hoping to finish this one in the coming year and get some African dust and sun exposure the following year!
Perfect classic grip shape.

An interesting note. WDM Bell always speculated (in his final article on American Rifleman, prior to his death) that if he were to return to Africa again … he’d opt for a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Winchester. With a spare barrel in .318 Westley Richards.
Yes, I read the article and it makes perfect sense. Bell did not choose the calibers he did, over a hundred twenty years ago, based on historical significance of brands of rifles or nostalgia. He picked them based on ballistics that suited his needs and shooting style. Availability determined the actions, calibers and ammo he had to choose from. No doubt he would pick something like the 338-06 today and not the 318 WR today. His favor of the 308 Win clearly shows how he thought about such things with the 308's introduction some 50 years after his ivory hunting in Africa. The 338-06 and 318 WR are ballistic twins but there is no comparison about availability of components or ammo. He was hunting ivory and making a living (and retirement) at it in Africa in a time and under circumstances we do not understand nor recognize today.

Last edited:
Yes, I read the article and it makes perfect sense. Bell did not choose the calibers he did, over a hundred twenty years ago, based on historical significance of brands of rifles or nostalgia. He picked them based on ballistics that suited his needs and shooting style. Availability determined the actions, calibers and ammo he had to choose from. No doubt he would pick something like the 338-06 today and not the 318 WR today. His favor of the 308 Win clearly shows how he thought about such things with the 308's introduction some 50 years after his ivory hunting in Africa. The 338-06 and 318 WR are ballistic twins but there is no comparison about availability of components or ammo. He was hunting ivory and making a living (and retirement) at it in Africa in a time and under circumstances we do not understand nor recognize today.
WDM Bell used (according to his own writing) four main calibers on African elephants:

a) 7x57mm Mauser ( Rifle was a John Rigby & Co. Model 1. Ammunition was DWM manufactured 173Gr military surplus round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids.)- Approximately 800 out of his 1011 elephants fells to this caliber. But Bell didn’t actually prefer this caliber the most. He only used it because the ammunition was far more reliable than British sporting ammunition. He also cites it’s drawbacks when taking quartering away brain shots at elephants.

b) .303 British (Rifle was a sporterized military surplus Lee Enfield. Ammunition was British military surplus 215Gr round nosed cupronickel jacketed FMJ solids)- He killed an unspecified number of elephants with this caliber, but didn’t fancy the rifles too much as they were inaccurate.

c) 6.5x54 mm Rimless Mannlicher Schoenauer ( Rifle was an original Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903, which was stocked by Daniel Fraser. Ammunition was Austrian military surplus 168Gr round nosed cupronickel jacketed FMJ solids)- Bell killed EXACTLY one dozen elephants with this caliber. All on one day. But he gave it up after a round misfired and jammed in the breech of his rifle. The Austrian ammunition had loose necks. Also, the 168Gr FMJ solids which he recovered from those 12 elephant were all bent into long hook like shapes. So he stopped using it on elephants, henceforth.

d) .318 Westley Richards (Rifle was a Westley Richards take down model, which was interestingly enough built on a Springfield Model 1903 action. Ammunition was ICI Kynoch 250Gr round nosed cupronickel jacketed FMJ solids)- This was Bell’s favorite caliber of all time. But until 1912, he was unable to acquire any good consignments of reliable ammunition for this caliber. From 1912 onwards, he was able to source reliable .318 Westley Richards ammunition. From that moment onwards, he ditched his 7x57mm Mauser in favor of the .318 Westley Richards exclusively ( for his African safaris, anyway).

To conclude, the .318 Westley Richards was Bell’s preferred caliber for elephants. But the 7x57mm Mauser is the caliber with which he successfully downed the bulk of his elephants. If you study the pattern in his ammunition choices, then it becomes evident that Bell was always fond of using military surplus ammunition (at least, as long as militaries still preferred the old fashioned round nosed solid). Mainly because it was more affordable, widely accessible and available in bulk (it must be remembered that Safari Outdoor didn’t exist in Africa in the early 1900s!). At least, this was the case until 1912 … When he finally started getting access to reliable stocks of .318 Westley Richards ammunition. In his first book, he also specifically voiced a strong distrust towards British sporting ammunition. He found that barring .303 British military surplus ammunition, all other makes of British ammunition lacked 100% reliability.

Towards the end of his life, he speculated that if he were to return to Africa again… He would take a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Winchester. Along with a spare barrel in .318 Westley Richards. He would take along monolithic solids for the .308 Winchester barrel. And traditional steel jacketed jacketed 250Gr FMJ solids for the .318 Westley Richards barrel (Kynoch began to replace the cupronickel jackets of their FMJ solid bullets with steel jackets in 1950 at the suggestion of James Purdey & Co.). The tried and true .318 Westley Richards barrel would be his backup, in case the .308 Winchester was not performing satisfactorily. He preferred the .308 Winchester to the .30-06 Springfield, because of it’s shorter bolt throw.

@fourfive8 does anybody offer factory loaded solids for the .338-06 ? WDM Bell never struck me as a man who would be handloading.

Last edited:
When it is your money do whatever you want. That said there are still originals out there in good shape. There is just something about the word original that appeals to me.

I looked at two original .318s about a year ago, that was here in Zim. One had the clips one did not. I was not interested for two reasons. 1. Ammunition availability, zero. 2. I had no use for it.

Getting a export permit for a firearm in Zim is not a problem. A deceased AH member use to come thru once a year trying to buy classics. He even was so generous he offered me $2,000.00 for a nice, but will used WR box lock ejector. Does the words F. O. Come to mind? Now another member is using and caring for it, shoots perfect. I believe it killed a ele this week.

Lon

WDM Bell used (according to his own writing) four main calibers on African elephants:

a) 7x57mm Mauser ( Rifle was a John Rigby & Co. Model 1. Ammunition was DWM manufactured 173Gr military surplus round nosed steel jacketed FMJ solids.)- Approximately 800 out of his 1011 elephants fells to this caliber. But Bell didn’t actually prefer this caliber the most. He only used it because the ammunition was far more reliable than British sporting ammunition. He also cites it’s drawbacks when taking quartering away brain shots at elephants.

b) .303 British (Rifle was a sporterized military surplus Lee Enfield. Ammunition was British military surplus 215Gr round nosed cupronickel jacketed FMJ solids)- He killed an unspecified number of elephants with this caliber, but didn’t fancy the rifles too much as they were inaccurate.

c) 6.5x54 mm Rimless Mannlicher Schoenauer ( Rifle was an original Mannlicher Schoenauer Model 1903, which was stocked by Daniel Fraser. Ammunition was Austrian military surplus 168Gr round nosed cupronickel jacketed FMJ solids)- Bell killed EXACTLY one dozen elephants with this caliber. All on one day. But he gave it up after a round misfired and jammed in the breech of his rifle. The Austrian ammunition had loose necks. Also, the 168Gr FMJ solids which he recovered from those 12 elephant were all bent into long hook like shapes. So he stopped using it on elephants, henceforth.

d) .318 Westley Richards (Rifle was a Westley Richards take down model, which was interestingly enough built on a Springfield Model 1903 action. Ammunition was ICI Kynoch 250Gr round nosed cupronickel jacketed FMJ solids)- This was Bell’s favorite caliber of all time. But until 1912, he was unable to acquire any good consignments of reliable ammunition for this caliber. From 1912 onwards, he was able to source reliable .318 Westley Richards ammunition. From that moment onwards, he ditched his 7x57mm Mauser in favor of the .318 Westley Richards exclusively ( for his African safaris, anyway).

To conclude, the .318 Westley Richards was Bell’s preferred caliber for elephants. But the 7x57mm Mauser is the caliber with which he successfully downed the bulk of his elephants. If you study the pattern in his ammunition choices, then it becomes evident that Bell was always fond of using military surplus ammunition (at least, as long as militaries still preferred the old fashioned round nosed solid). Mainly because it was more affordable, widely accessible and available in bulk (it must be remembered that Safari Outdoor didn’t exist in Africa in the early 1900s!). At least, this was the case until 1912 … When he finally started getting access to reliable stocks of .318 Westley Richards ammunition. In his first book, he also specifically voiced a strong distrust towards British sporting ammunition. He found that barring .303 British military surplus ammunition, all other makes of British ammunition lacked 100% reliability.

Towards the end of his life, he speculated that if he were to return to Africa again… He would take a Winchester Model 70 in .308 Winchester. Along with a spare barrel in .318 Westley Richards. He would take along monolithic solids for the .308 Winchester barrel. And traditional steel jacketed jacketed 250Gr FMJ solids for the .318 Westley Richards barrel (Kynoch began to replace the cupronickel jackets of their FMJ solid bullets with steel jackets in 1950 at the suggestion of James Purdey & Co.). The tried and true .318 Westley Richards barrel would be his backup, in case the .308 Winchester was not performing satisfactorily. He preferred the .308 Winchester to the .30-06 Springfield, because of it’s shorter bolt throw.

@fourfive8 does anybody offer factory loaded solids for the .338-06 ? WDM Bell never struck me as a man who would be handloading.
While not used for elephant hunting I was very surprised in how much space Bell dedicated to his “workhorse” a 256 George Gibbs rifle . He used this to provide food for his porters , camp followers and local communities . I think this rifle may well have been fired more than all the others combined .

Attachments

• Karamojo Bell: The Small Bore Ivory Hunter - Revivaler.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Karamojo-Bell-the-Small-Bore-Ivory-Hunter-1-American-Rifleman.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
WDM Bell used (according to his own writing) four main calibers on African elephants:...

Bell's 'brain shot' with 6.X54MS (.256):

MS Bell Brain Shot 01.jpg

I don't have references for you on who can do the work you are proposing. I am here to try to talk you out of it though.

I'm a huge fan of vintage .318WRs. I owned a beautiful take-down mauser by Westley Richards in this caliber awhile ago and I regret having to part with that rifle. It is one thing to covet and seek out vintage guns in storied calibers, enduring the pain and suffering of trying to get good regulation, the brass, dies, and bullets required. It is entirely a different matter to spend good money after bad, perhaps as much as buying a vintage gun, to create a modern gun that has no advantages over other calibers and will cost you a fortune to operate while being nearly worthless on the resale.

The .318WR needs special order dies from RCBS or CH4D. Expect to look for months to years and anticipate paying $400 or more for a used set if you ever find them.

Quality Cartridge makes 318WR brass and does a run about every 5 years. Gobble up all you can if they ever make any. Alternatively, you can buy 35 whelen brass and size them down into improperly headstamped 318WR brass in a pinch.

For bullets, the only maker I know of is Woodleigh for both their soft and solid options. As you know, they burned down and stock on hand is very limited. They may never make these bullets again leaving you with no other option of which I'm aware.

Ballistically, the 318WR is great, and its identical to the way easier to make 338/06 wildcat that does the same thing.

I've been intrigued by the caliber for a while now as I'm a fan of the classics. Most options to purchase are either new custom builds or older used models. Recently, I came across a third option - converting a M70 to the old British style. Modern performance, classic looks, and the ability to mount a scope without destroying collector value. Yes, I know that there are probably cheaper rebarrel options, but a big part of the appeal to me is the classic look.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with R.J. Renner? Judging from their website, looks like the bulk of their business is taking factory models and prettying up to either classic English or Teutonic styles.

@Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy
The man to talk to about building a 318 Jeffery is @rdog from memory he built a beautiful one. Maybe he could set you on the right path
BUT as @rookhawk said the 338-06 may be the simpler option.
Bob

Pragmatism be damned.... We only get one spin on the merry-go-round.
@Marc Ret
After 3 heart attacks I think I've had more than one spin on the merry-go-round.
Stuff practicality be bold, be different and have fun. I didn't really need my Whelen but I wanted one. Have never looked back, should have done it years ago.
Bob

Have a savage 30.06 new stainless pulled the barrel having a drop.in made ...heavy barrel.fluted with tactical.stock ........a
So a 21st Century 318wr tactical sniper

I know just a fun project as have a 1912 Wr and a Bsw Shul double

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolkKnives

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.