Need gunsmith to discuss issue with a double rifle in the US. Suggestions are welcomed.

BrettV

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a double rifle that shoots low. I am trying to determine the best way to remedy this without adding a scope. . I am also considering having a second set of barrels made for this gun.

Thanks you for your comments.

Give some more info. Calibre, make, distance from the target, etc. For what bullet weight and charge was the rifle regulated - that will be stamped on the barrel flats. Did you shoot factory ammunition or reloads? Any idea what the muzzle velocity was? How far apart are the left and right barrels printing?

It could be that a change in MV could sort you out, or a relatively easy adjustment of the sights could help, all the way to reregulation being necessary.

This gun was recently acquired by myself and it a custom build. You ask a lot and very important questions I can not answer at this time. Other than it is a 45-70 shooting reloads and is very low I have no further information. I will need to do some homework this weekend starting on printing of the barrels and the measured drop from where I am aiming. I do appreciate your comments. I have no previous experience with a double rifle.
As an a side I just returned from hunting in South Africa where a met a hunter that had a new Rigby in a 470 for a Cape buffalo hunt this week. What an awesome rifle.

I have recently acquired a double rifle that shoots low. I am trying to determine the best way to remedy this without adding a scope. . I am also considering having a second set of barrels made for this gun.

Thanks you for your comments.
Get in touch with JJ Perodeau.
You will find many on AH that will say the same thing.

Also, what @Dewald said. I’d try out some different ammo or loads if you reload.

Last edited:
Another top double gunsmith in USA is Ken Owens

A lot of vertical poi can be changed with different height front sights….especially if the rear is a non adjust type

BrettV, welcome to the world of double rifles. I suspect your rifle will shoot acceptably with some type of factory load, which it was likely regulated with. Seeking good gunsmith advice is always a good idea, but even that gunsmith would be able to tell you more if you have tried a few things first. Dewald gave you some good suggestions. If the regulating load is marked on the barrels, try that. If not, you should realize there are at least four distinct types of .45-70 ammunition commonly found on the American market, and each is quite different. Try some standard 300 gr. ammo, some standard 405 grain ammo "for all rifles", and some +power 405 grain ammo " for strong action modern rifles". If that doesn't work, try some Hornady Leverevolution ammo.

When firing your double, don't shoot it as you would a bolt action - off a bench with both front and rear bags. Shoot while standing and support the rifle under the hand that holds the fore end only. Grasp the fore end firmly. A double is quite a different beast than a bolt action, and requires a slightly different shooting technique.

A larger Diameter Front Sight.

Today a mini red dot is a nice addition to many doubles and it should solve your problem. A lower velocity should raise your point of impact, but it will move your points of impact farther apart, USUALY. Welcome to the world of doubles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanelL98

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.