Namibia vs Botswana - Plains Game hunt

Pmarquard1

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on my first Hunting Safari. I am interested in plains game on a 10 day safari hunt. I wanted to ask what are your thought between Namibia and Botswana as a first safari experience. Are there any outfitters you would recommend?

What are the pros and cons between Namibia and Botswana? Would you recommend somewhere else. Not really interested in SA (only Estern Cape in the future).

I would like to hunt with an outfitter that has a large area to hunt. I know that many ranches need to be fenced due to law but it is different to hunt on a 2000 Acre ranch than on 200,000 Acre.

It would be rifle hunting and some of the species I am interested in are: Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, Springbok, Warthog, zebra, hartebeest, impala, wildebeest, Duiker, etc. The classics of a first safari.

In the future would like to do a Eastern Cape safari to collect those endemic species but for now would like to hunt in Namibia or Botswana.

I am also open to learn of other outfitters in other countries where they would have good plains game.

Thank you

Paul M

You will see a number of opinions shortly I'm sure. If you look through the hunting reports there are probably 5 for Namibia for each one in Botswana. As far as I know both are easy to get your own firearm into. Both have some large hunting areas. Most to all of your animal list should be available in both places.
Prices should be similar for the most part. Not sure that there is an appreciable edge to one place over another. My first African hunt was to Namibia. My next is likely to be Botswana. Perhaps someone can come up with a reason to make one preferable over another. Perhaps ease of travel?
Bruce

I’ve only hunted Namibia of the two, but I think it is difficult to go wrong with Namibia for a first safari. Very easy to travel to and safe. Ranch land hunting in both I think would be very similar, but Namibia has many more outfitters and PHs to choose from. You won’t find small hunting properties in Namibia. The norm would be 10,000+ up to 50,000 not uncommon. To my knowledge there is no law requiring fencing in Namibia. The hunting season is Feb-Nov and you can export two of each species fenced or unfenced. Most Namibia outfitters offer a mix of high and low fence options for plains game. Botswana seems to have the edge on Namibia for big kudu at the moment. Namibia offers the Hartmann mountain zebra though.
To your question on 2000 acres or 200,000 acres. Hunting 2000 acre ranches feels very small, you will never be more than a mile from fence line. 10,000+ starts the point to me where fence is irrelevant if managed correctly inside for most plains game, but I don’t want to hunt same ranch every day that size. Starting about 30,000 acres feels big enough to hunt every day. The only exception I have is eland, I only want to hunt free range or on very large properties because they cover so much ground compared to normal plains game when free range.

My first safari was in June 2023, Botswana with NKWE Safaris. You can search my comments as well as others and you will find 100% satisfaction with them. But a question like yours is like asking what vehicle to buy - you'll get hundreds of different answers. I was lucky with my PH as 2 friend hunted with Jaco in 2022 and were beyond satisfied and gave me firsthand input.

Flip a coin for which one you go to first. Go to the other on your next trip.
Not very helpful, am I?
This is great advice! This means you are already planning a return trip to Africa. Hunting in Africa has three phases.

1. The hunt you are goin on this year.
2 The hunt you are planning for the following year.
3. The hunt you are dreaming about for the future.

You have to keep the supply chain running smoothly. :A Thumbs Up:

I have hunted both and love both. My only recommendation would be to go where you know you can do a true tracking hunt for eland. IMO this is the pinnacle of plains game hunting. Most eland are shot spot and stalk, so ask lots of questions if you do want to do a tracking hunt.

I love Namibia and have no experience in Botswana. You will get many offers so do your homework and feel free to continue to ask questions.

My two cents, do Namibia first as you can nail down more unknowns (via this website, etc) as it is a well worn path by so many hunters and then do Botswana when you have some first hand experience of how to plan a Safari.

Either way though, you cant go wrong. As some have said, if you have certain animals in mind that may steer you to one over the other but if you keep in mind you will go to both in due time, well, hard not to just flip the coin and go!

If hunting indigenous game is important, then I would suggest Namibia, Most of it is either tribal land or low fence cattle ranching. These are like ranches in the American West, and game movement is not affected. There are high fence operations, but nothing like south Africa. Several of our sponsors here could set up a great 10-day experience.

I don’t have experience in either, but want to hunt both. I have spoken to outfits on both sides and it’s very hard for me to pick a direction, everyone has been great to speak to. I may need to use the dart board method if I decide to hunt those areas next.

Hello,

It would be rifle hunting and some of the species I am interested in are: Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, Springbok, Warthog, zebra, hartebeest, impala, wildebeest, Duiker, etc. The classics of a first safari.

I am also open to learn of other outfitters in other countries where they would have good plains game.

Thank you

Paul M
Afternoon Paul,

Looking at your list of animals to go after, you will. need to find someone who will have all of them availabe. Looking at Namibia or Botswana you will find ranches in the 30,000 acre zone and some will be larger approaching upwards of 100,000 acres. if you find a tribal area the acreage will be larger.

you will find differences in the animals that you are wanting to go after. Example would be zebra there are different kind however you will only find Hartman zebra's in Namibia. another example is wildebeest there are like 7 different kinds and are you looking for the black or blue or both? Springbok are like 4 different kinds and are you wanting to go after all 4 or a select one? same for Duiker there are different ones located in different areas, like red, blue or Dik Dik. Impala also has different kinds with the black face not importable to the USA.

Unless you in a drive and shoot area, I find that it takes about 2 to 3 days for a proper tracking job to find a good eland. But then I was selective. Same for trying to track down a good gemsbok.

Afternoon Paul,

Looking at your list of animals to go after, you will. need to find someone who will have all of them availabe. Looking at Namibia or Botswana you will find ranches in the 30,000 acre zone and some will be larger approaching upwards of 100,000 acres. if you find a tribal area the acreage will be larger.

you will find differences in the animals that you are wanting to go after. Example would be zebra there are different kind however you will only find Hartman zebra's in Namibia. another example is wildebeest there are like 7 different kinds and are you looking for the black or blue or both? Springbok are like 4 different kinds and are you wanting to go after all 4 or a select one? same for Duiker there are different ones located in different areas, like red, blue or Dik Dik. Impala also has different kinds with the black face not importable to the USA.

Unless you in a drive and shoot area, I find that it takes about 2 to 3 days for a proper tracking job to find a good eland. But then I was selective. Same for trying to track down a good gemsbok.

Spot on regarding the eland. I was 3 1/2 days of tracking before taking a bull in Botswana. I love that type of hunt. I would much rather track hard and fire one shot in 4 days than spot and stalk 3 or 4 critters daily from the bakkie.

I have hunted Namibia (but not Botswana) and the Eastern Cape. Kowas Safaris for Namib and KMG Safaris for the EC. Can’t get 2 better outfits for serious old hard won trophies (y)

Cheers
Mark

I agree with the Namibia suggestions for a first time hunter.
Logistics will be easier and your choice of animals will be easier to collect in a given time frame.
It's also a great destination for a non-hunter.

I appreciate everyones feeback it is really helpful. Kudu and Eland are my top animals, so I will do more research on which outfitter would be best. I really want to hunt a true tracking and stalking Eland.

I had narrowed down my options to the following 4 outfitters:

Namibia: Kowas Safaris and Jamy Traut Safaris

Botswana: Tholo Safaris and NKWE Safaris

From what I have read they all have good reviews and they operate in large ranches which seems to be needed for a good Eland hunt experience. I also saw that they all hunt good Kudu.

If anyone has any thought they are highly appreciated.

Thank you guys!

Paul M

I appreciate everyones feeback it is really helpful. Kudu and Eland are my top animals, so I will do more research on which outfitter would be best. I really want to hunt a true tracking and stalking Eland.

From what I have read they all have good reviews and they operate in large ranches which seems to be needed for a good Eland hunt experience. I also saw that they all hunt good Kudu.

Thank you guys!

Paul M
I’ll be doing my third hunt with Jamy Traut Safaris in just a couple weeks. If a tracking hunt for eland is your primary goal talk with them about waterberg park later in the season. I don’t think you’ll find a better area for eland anywhere plus you’ll get to see buffalo and Rhino there. After you get an eland, you can transfer to their ranches to hunt the rest of your species. Just be aware, eland is a more specialized hunt than the others you are interested in. It will take time away from your other species. Kudu can be slightly specialized as well, but not nearly so much as eland.

Last edited:

Thank you guys!

Paul M

Add Bokamoso Safaris to your Botswana list. Werner Lombard is one of the best and I believe that they have one of, if not the largest, private ranch in Botswana. They are in the Ghanzi area.

Thank you guys!

Paul M
I have not actually hunted with Kowas, but they have a sterling reputation. I can personally highly recommend Jamy Traut and he hunts eland as they should be hunted. And for a first dive into hunting Africa, Namibia is a perfect choice. But, I would open a dialogue with all of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.