Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Hunting Namibia with Frontier Safaris
I departed June 6th along with my wife and four other couples for Namibia. We were all booked in to hunt 10 Days with Frontier Safaris on their 130,000 acre Daweb Sud game farm in southern Namibia near Keetmanshoop. It was a very attractive package that the group was on. It was 10 Days and 6 trophy animals for $4995.

Namibia is really my favorite place in Africa. That desert and its people have really stolen my heart. I have hunted and visited most of Namibia over the years.

For me I didn’t have a big wish list for this safari. An old Kudu and a nice Golden Gemsbuck would do nicely and then just see how it goes.

This game ranch has some incredible scenery which varies from hills to flats to scattered rocky koppies. Namibia experienced what they have called a 500 year drought a few years ago. That along with the Covid lockdowns combined to really hurt the people there. The game was surprisingly plentiful and it made me wonder what kind of paradise this place must have been just a few years ago. Something in the neighborhood of 75% of the game was lost to the drought. Now there is grass and babies most everywhere!

I was to have a fairly short hunt since Jennifer and I had planned to spend a few days on our friends Dorper sheep ranch nearby.

On day 1, I was most fortunate to take a nice 10 year old Kudu bull. From the crack of dawn we were seeing Kudu, Springbuck, and Golden and Common Gemsbuck most everywhere. We spotted two broken horn Kudu bulls so it seemed the rut was on. My Kudu was one of those surprises where there he is and the PH says shoot! It is always nice to get such an old trophy.

All of these animals have incredible eyesight and could see the bakkie from a mile or more away. This meant climbing many koppies and stalking from miles away at times. As my PH Fred Burchell says "we will take the shoelace express to get there"!

It was a difficult hunt for me and it was day four before I connected on a mature representative Golden Gemsbuck. We spent the rest of the hunt searching for an exceptional Golden Gemsbuck bull. They were calving early with all the rains so we had to be certain to take only bulls. I must stop here and tell the story of the Golden Gemsbuck. Barry Burchell, owner of Frontier Safaris, along with his father identified the Golden Gemsbuck scattered around on farms in this area many years ago. The farmers would just shoot them thinking they were genetically inferior and also infertile. If this kind of thinking persisted they would be extinct today. Thankfully the Burchell's captured and propagated them and now have predominantly Goldens on their game ranch.

Now to search for an exceptional one. The biggest bulls were in the largest herds with the most eyes looking for us. It was not to be on this trip and I would just have to return one day to hunt these incredible animals.

My wife and I were off for a couple of days with our Dorper sheep friends nearby. As soon as we arrived the springbuck culling began! There were an overabundance in some pastures and I was eager to be of help. I was able to take a nice trophy ram first. He was mature and displayed the hooks that are so desirable in a big trophy. A few more down and it was time to have a braai in a dry pan for lunch. We had the best lambs chops, boerewors, and biltong here with our dear friends.

Sadly it was time to head back to camp with the group and prepare for our departure. As usual we shared many hunting stories around the campfire on my last night in camp. This was an exceptional group I had in camp with me and they all said that the hunt exceeded their expectations. They all took many big trophy animals. The only issue on this hunt was the fact that all my hunters used camp guns. This did prove challenging versus having their own rifles.

Next I was to head to the Eastern Cape to meet the next safari group and Jennifer was to go back home.

Namibia, for me, is always a wonderful time. I'll be back someday soon!

4CF83F1F-4F96-4661-8936-67C919E2E955.jpeg
3F7743B6-A12D-440A-A885-8564D475EC56.jpeg
CE952181-7F61-416B-A90C-F27CFE13EC56.jpeg
7F6CC208-52FF-4D54-865D-1B2746A5D964.jpeg
FCF5790D-CFC0-4407-BC46-AE16CD2D347A.jpeg
4637ED5D-E8EE-4C25-AA2B-314FD77FECE6.jpeg
B4A493AE-9F65-4A8F-96A3-4A85CB4B72B8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That golden gemsbuck is beautiful. Congrats on such a fine hunt. How long are the horns on that old mature kudu? They look absolutely huge. Beautiful animals.

The area sure looks much different than the Eastern Cape. Does the openness require longer shots? Or are you able to sneak in using the terrain features?

It was nice to meet you at the Port Elizabeth airport. My son and I were picking up our rifles when you were in the gun office.

Best of luck in your next adventure.

Looks like you had a great trip and sounds like you have some great friends. Love the pictures. Nice Kudu.
Bruce

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Thank You for sharing Phillip. That Kudu looks like a real stud.
Looking forward to the Eastern Cape part of the story

Very nice animals and that area looks excellent, relaxing even. Cheers
That is a good point. Namibia. There is something relaxing about it. I am at peace there like no where else outside of my part of Texas.

Namibia sounds great. How did the travel work out?
I plan to do a travel post at some point. Everything was good. We flew Delta with the JNB overnight at City Lodge (love it) and connected to Airlink to Windhoek.

Wow! That golden gemsbuck is beautiful. Congrats on such a fine hunt. How long are the horns on that old mature kudu? They look absolutely huge. Beautiful animals.

The area sure looks much different than the Eastern Cape. Does the openness require longer shots? Or are you able to sneak in using the terrain features?

It was nice to meet you at the Port Elizabeth airport. My son and I were picking up our rifles when you were in the gun office.

Best of luck in your next adventure.
Oh yes, I remember y'all. It is very open and you do need to shoot far at times. We did manage some close stalks nearly every day. We had to as we were trying to sex Gemsbuck for a shot. The main thing I noticed was that the animals see the vehicle from a mile or more away. This necessitates climbing koppies, glassing, and walking quite far at times. It was awesome.,

Looks like you had a great trip and sounds like you have some great friends. Love the pictures. Nice Kudu.
Bruce
Some of my dearest friends are in Namibia!

Thank You for sharing Phillip. That Kudu looks like a real stud.
Looking forward to the Eastern Cape part of the story
It's coming soon!

I especially like the foto of you sitting on the mountain side.......shows the distant terrain so typical of Namibia....and so beautiful......thanks for rpt........await the rest of the story.....FW Bill

Oh yes, I remember y'all. It is very open and you do need to shoot far at times. We did manage some close stalks nearly every day. We had to as we were trying to sex Gemsbuck for a shot. The main thing I noticed was that the animals see the vehicle from a mile or more away. This necessitates climbing koppies, glassing, and walking quite far at times. It was awesome.,
That’s what hunting is all about. Once you pull the trigger all the fun is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.