My new K95 is finally here!

I had a 5.6 x 57 in my Mauser 66. It’s a great performer but a tricky one to reload. The necks get very thick and need to be turned and thinned down to avoid high chamber pressures. I know from experience as my rifle blew up and destroyed the rifle . Knowing the problem now I still wouldn’t go there again.
I thought the problem was mostly gas escaping and sooting the case? If there is a risk of the rifle exploding the prospect of reboring sounds like a really good idea.

After some thinking and reading I realize that the problem with the thick neck might appear only when the cases are reloaded a second time. So if I only use the new cases once I should be safe:giggle: And then I will have it converted to 7x65R instead (y)

Like your stock a lot.
Always had humback stock on all my k95s and didnt like that look.

The 9.3 was a fun rifle. But a heavy S&B PMII made it managble.

30r Blaser with stock loads were to snappy for my comfort. Without a scope. Urgs ;)

7x57r was about pefect.
308 Win was a little finity without the rim to be elegant.

5.6x50R now thats the sweetest combination i ever had. Looking to get anotger one someday.

IMG_20160617_214524_465.jpg

I think the straight stock makes the recoil easier to manage. I find it to be a non issue. Shooting with open sights does make for a livelier experience for sure but not dramatic. Stalking with a scope less 5.6x50R is pure joy though.

wonderful rifle, but the last two calibres in this set are real heavy for this light weapon.

I think the straight stock makes the recoil easier to manage. I find it to be a non issue. Shooting with open sights does make for a livelier experience for sure but not dramatic. Stalking with a scope less 5.6x50R is pure joy though.
That is my experience aswell, my previous Kipplauf-rifle was a Merkel K5 Jagd with the classical german hogback stock, I shot really poorly with that one compared to my new one with a more classical straight english stock.

20240115_135702.jpg

After some thinking and reading I realize that the problem with the thick neck might appear only when the cases are reloaded a second time. So if I only use the new cases once I should be safe:giggle: And then I will have it converted to 7x65R instead (y)

One can turn the necks thinner and continue to use them. The tools aren't expensive and the cost can be recouped by using the brass more than once. The brass must be checked at the pressure ring to ensure there's not incipient case separation as the brass flows from the head of the case.

Like your stock a lot.
Always had humback stock on all my k95s and didnt like that look.

The 9.3 was a fun rifle. But a heavy S&B PMII made it managble.

30r Blaser with stock loads were to snappy for my comfort. Without a scope. Urgs ;)

7x57r was about pefect.
308 Win was a little finity without the rim to be elegant.

5.6x50R now thats the sweetest combination i ever had. Looking to get anotger one someday.

View attachment 580623
I had a stock made to fit me properly and negate much of the recoil generated by larger calibers like the 300 Wea and 338 Rum.

Last edited by a moderator:
@K95
Ken you have to give Rob credit he is a master in wood and metal. If he could engrave as well we couldn't afford him..
He does beautiful work.
Bob
Yes he sure does. The job he did on my custom 375 Ruger was superb. Nick said it was one of the best he had seen.
Ken

Yes he sure does. The job he did on my custom 375 Ruger was superb. Nick said it was one of the best he had seen.
Ken
@K95
Ken it's a pity Australians are such tight arses when it comes to money. I personally think he under charges for the work he does compared to what theypay in the US for the same service, he gets peanuts.
Bob

After over a year’s wait, I finally received the phone call from the gun store and promptly made my way to pick up my new rifle.

I’m quite happy with it and cannot wait to take it out for a walk.

It's a three-barrel set: 5.6x50R (basically a rimmed 223), 30R Blaser (rimmed 30cal cartridge, ballistically somewhat like the 300H&H) as well as 9.3x74R.

In addition, the barrels fit my synthetic K95 Ultimate receiver so I can swap between the two stocks and also have the other rifle’s 8x57JRS barrel to play with.

The stock is Blaser’s grade 7 with ebony wood forend and what they call super finish - hand rubbed oil finish with sealed pores.

View attachment 479027
View attachment 479028
View attachment 479029
I just posted a thread question regarding finishes, High Gloss. I've always remembered Blaser's stocks shining in display cabinets yrs ago. Beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevkala

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double