Motorcycles

BeeMaa, I had a KTM Super Duke with a custom exhaust and air intake that made about 180 hp and weighed approximately 400 pounds. Went for a ride with a friend at work who showed up with a BMW RR something and he caught me off guard with how fast that thing was. He had small fiberglass bags on it so it was kind of a sleeper till I read up on it.
I had far more torque, but his had better technology. Mine had three modes of traction control, and I think he had something like 11.

A great street battle of Austrian versus German engineering
Take a mid-level club rider on a completely manual (no electronics) motorcycle and give them a BMW S1000RR…they will be lapping the top biker in as little as 5 circuits. It’s insane and I wish I had 1/10 of the talent to be able to do it all over again.

Alanbigstick, did you see what those H1 and H2’s are bringing these days an immaculate one just sold that Mecum for $19,000 and a z1000 for $80k

Yes I like bikes, Now old and slow for me :cry:
1706635795841.jpeg
1706635921316.jpeg
1706636049228.jpeg

Very cool!
I see a Parilla there. I had a 250cc Wildcat for a while but never ran it.
Now, I have some small race bikes - Honda RS125s, an Aprilia RSR125 which ran in the World Championship in the late ‘90s, a Honda RS250 and some other bigger bikes. Nothing crazy though.
I’d like to take a tour of your collection!
You are most welcome, if you are ever in Colorado Springs look me up...

You are most welcome, if you are ever in Colorado Springs look me up...
That would be great! I’m down a couple times a week usually.
I also have a goal of getting out on track at PPIR or Pueblo this Summer.
Need to drop a few LBs to fit in my leathers though…

That would be great! I’m down a couple times a week usually.
I also have a goal of getting out on track at PPIR or Pueblo this Summer.
Need to drop a few LBs to fit in my leathers though…
I can relate, my leathers have been in the top of the closet for a few years, anyway as spring comes around it will be much warmer in my garage, its located close to pueblo,
cheers!
J

I’ve been riding rural gravel roads for about seven years as a way to blow off steam after work. I began with a 2017 KTM 1190R Adventure. Then purchased a 2017 Honda Africa Twin. Loved the AT! I thought I wanted something smaller so I purchased a 2019 Honda 450L. Ricky Brabec, USA, won Dakar twice, once in 2021 and this year on the 450. Very fast and lightweight. Lately, I traded the AT for a 2023 BMW R1250 GSA and also took delivery of a 2024 Husqvarna Norden 901 Expedition. So I’m breaking in these two bikes currently. Hutch

Here's my bike: 2003 HD V-Rod. I really like it. Had a close enounter with a deer and got ripped to shreds and scratched the paint. I repainted it myself. It's 2010 Dodge Viper Blue metallic (with extra metal flake) and Wimbleton White....basically our LeMans colors. Have done 133mph with it on the road and run the 1/4 at 127 several times. Not bad for a cruiser. Tried to post a movie of one of my 1/4 mile runs but it wouldn't let me. I had a KLR 650 dual sport before this and wish I'd kept it. Had a Goldwing before that, as my first street bike (bought it off my grandpa). Had a few Kawi dirt bikes as a kid. I like them all. A leather and chains guy once told me that I'm not a "Biker" but instead a "Motorcyclist." I'll take that :)

Left Outside 3.JPG
Left Outside 5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note, here is my adventure bike I am currently riding solo across the great continent of Africa starting in Capetown and heading north wherever the track may lead. I am currently storing the bike in Tsumkwe Namibia. Will be heading back this March to ride some more. If you interested in following my journey I am on instagram at jasonmilleradventure
IMG_2072.JPEG

Jason, that is a ride of a life time. I’m sure you do. But remember to wear all of your PPE
Gloves, padded jacket ETC.

I wish I could say I always did. I was riding a similar very remote dirt road and taking in the scenery looking 90 degrees to my right. Next thing I know I’m face planted on the gravel. Skidding on the side of my full face helmet. Luckily I was wearing all of my gear. And was just banged up a little. I hit a dog that I did not see. The dog was fine and I was left crawling in the gravel :LOL:

This picture shows I have not always followed my own advice

Shorts and no helmet :rolleyes:

IMG_2221.jpeg

On another note, here is my adventure bike I am currently riding solo across the great continent of Africa starting in Capetown and heading north wherever the track may lead. I am currently storing the bike in Tsumkwe Namibia. Will be heading back this March to ride some more. If you interested in following my journey I am on instagram at jasonmilleradventure View attachment 584320
That's just like the "Moonride" guys. A bunch of them went from Capetown to Cairo. Then later they rode from Canada down to Tierra Del Fuego. They were on KLR650's. I met a guy in Moorefield, WV, USA one time with a little BMW 650 single. He had a sticker on the tank that said HO. I asked him about it...thought he liked Honda but had a BMW. He said it was for Honduras. He rode from WV out to Los Angeles, and met up with the Moonride group and rode as down to Chile with them. Pretty cool!

Another buddy of mine has the same type of little BMW single. He rode it from WV up into Canada, clear across, and up to Alaska. He took about two months. He'd tent camp off the side of the road several nights and then find a hotel for a night to get cleaned up. Met all kinds of neat people. One German guy had some Yamaha 660 or something that you can't even get over here. He'd shipped it over. Toward the end of the trip, my buddy was starting to get tired of it. He dropped back into the States somewhere around Wisconsin and ran it straight home 18 hours. He did all this right after he retired a couple years ago. Last year he was in Nepal riding some old brand of bike...looked like the one the bad guy with the monkey in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" had. I forget the brand. Neat stuff!

Jason, that is a ride of a life time. I’m sure you do. But remember to wear all of your PPE
Gloves, padded jacket ETC.

I wish I could say I always did. I was riding a similar very remote dirt road and taking in the scenery looking 90 degrees to my right. Next thing I know I’m face planted on the gravel. Skidding on the side of my full face helmet. Luckily I was wearing all of my gear. And was just banged up a little. I hit a dog that I did not see. The dog was fine and I was left crawling in the gravel :LOL:

This picture shows I have not always followed my own advice

Shorts and no helmet :rolleyes:

View attachment 584345
Very sound advice as like yourself, I have cheated the system in the past a bit. However on this Africa trip I had to promise the world to my wife that I would be extra safe and careful, I wear a helmet, boots, gloves and my WW2 Panzer leather jacket which is like a piece of plywood in thickness :) Also made every attempt to be off the roads in evening and night. However getting lost in the Namibian bush blew that rule. I have two airtag trackers on the bike and shared the locations with family and close friends, so most of the journey they can track me real time. Kind of fun!
I received a bunch of new stuff for the bike for Christmas this year and excited to mule it all to Namibia and work on it before heading on.

That's just like the "Moonride" guys. A bunch of them went from Capetown to Cairo. Then later they rode from Canada down to Tierra Del Fuego. They were on KLR650's. I met a guy in Moorefield, WV, USA one time with a little BMW 650 single. He had a sticker on the tank that said HO. I asked him about it...thought he liked Honda but had a BMW. He said it was for Honduras. He rode from WV out to Los Angeles, and met up with the Moonride group and rode as down to Chile with them. Pretty cool!

Another buddy of mine has the same type of little BMW single. He rode it from WV up into Canada, clear across, and up to Alaska. He took about two months. He'd tent camp off the side of the road several nights and then find a hotel for a night to get cleaned up. Met all kinds of neat people. One German guy had some Yamaha 660 or something that you can't even get over here. He'd shipped it over. Toward the end of the trip, my buddy was starting to get tired of it. He dropped back into the States somewhere around Wisconsin and ran it straight home 18 hours. He did all this right after he retired a couple years ago. Last year he was in Nepal riding some old brand of bike...looked like the one the bad guy with the monkey in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" had. I forget the brand. Neat stuff!
Its such a thrill to be out on the bike in nature, I had some interesting interactions with elephants and other wildlife, some tense moments at gas stations where the bike and myself would be surrounded instantly by hundreds of people. Stuck in deep sand, that literally took hours for me to dig out as I had to completely unload all gear from the bike and then reload. Leaking fuel tank that I had to camp and find someone in the bush who could weld. I also would love to get a KLR here in Colorado and drive up to the artcic circle. Would be a blast to head to South America as well. The hard part is finding other riders to join, everyone claims they want to go but when its time the pull the trigger all fade away,

Much appreciate any advice on buying an off-road motorcycle for my son. Pretty sure that we are going to get him a 2024 Honda XR125F, big wheel. The price is about 3900 USD, and was wondering if dealers mark them up like cars and if people regularly pay below sticker. My dealer, who I've bought a SeaDoo from in past, says he has very little margin, which I find hard to believe. Thanks for any insights.

Its such a thrill to be out on the bike in nature, I had some interesting interactions with elephants and other wildlife, some tense moments at gas stations where the bike and myself would be surrounded instantly by hundreds of people. Stuck in deep sand, that literally took hours for me to dig out as I had to completely unload all gear from the bike and then reload. Leaking fuel tank that I had to camp and find someone in the bush who could weld. I also would love to get a KLR here in Colorado and drive up to the artcic circle. Would be a blast to head to South America as well. The hard part is finding other riders to join, everyone claims they want to go but when its time the pull the trigger all fade away,
My KLR was a 2003 I bought new. I'd had it six months, and the "doohickey" failed. I think the technical term for it is "cam chain tensioner link." Stock they are made of pot metal. So I'm going down the road at 60mph and hear this almighty "BANG" and the backwheel locks up. I instantly squeezed the clutch and saved myself from a bad crash. Got it off the road and saw a hole in the side of the engine. So what happened is that tensioner link failed, letting the cam chain fly loose on one end. It acted like a flail, and knocked a hole in the side of the engine block. Poor thing sat there and bled out. Come to find out, that was a common failure on KLR's. I took it back to the dealership and they'd never seen it before. Kawi doesn't keep any extra engines on the shelf, so the dealership had to take it completely apart, figure out what parts were bad, order new parts, and build a new engine from parts at the shop. It took them three trys but they got it (never called me until it was done.) Said it ran great after the first rebuilt, but they heard this feint "tick ticking" sound. Took two more tear downs to figure out what was wrong (I don't even remember...something else got slightly bent when it grenaded...). After reading about the "doohickey," I found a place that made forged ones that fix the problem forever. I bought a kit and had the dealer install it. Also added a braided stainless front brake line, which dramatically improved the braking (stocker is rubber and the line expands and you lose brake power up front). They say Kawi fixed those problems on the newer KLR's...I think post 2008. I really liked the bike, even if it blew up on me. Never had a moment's trouble with it after the fixes except it would vibrate mirrors loose :) They're a cheap bike, but you can make something cool out of them. The new ones fixed a lot of that. I've heard nothing but great about the BMW thumpers. My buddy had a big Paris Dakar KTM and had a lot of cooling issues with it. Not sure about the smaller ones. My wife "The Boss" forbid me from having two bikes at the same time, so I basically gave the KLR away on trade to get the Vrod. Adventure bikes are a lot of fun! That being said, I had to get an artificial hip at 48 and have been thinking about giving up bikes and just driving around in my '70 Dodge Charger once I get it done. I really like my bike though! Best of luck and awesome trip! :)

A bit of thread necromancy going on here. I'll bite though.

I picked up a used 2023 Honda Rebel last October. It's been a fun and money saving method to get to work when the weather behaves.

After many years on HD’s, and a couple of BMW’s, I am jonesing to get a bike. Looking at the Honda AT, Triumph Tiger 900 and of course the GSA.

I see test rides in my future!

After many years on HD’s, and a couple of BMW’s, I am jonesing to get a bike. Looking at the Honda AT, Triumph Tiger 900 and of course the GSA.

I see test rides in my future!
I have a GSA with your name on it. Send a PM and we can talk.

one of many of my life’s experiences… the bike is a 2010 F800GS…with a Camel Tank range extender…300 miles is not out of range.

This was on a 1,000 mile day (SS1k, IBA# 20880 for those who know)…

1707618148895.jpeg

I’ve been to Prudhoe Bay…Cape Spear…Cabo san Lucas…Key West…

This was a weekend trit. 1600 miles in roughly 36 hours. Less actually. My personal best was 2450 miles in 44 hours, 41 minutes (coast to coast, Huntington Beach Ca to Jacksonville Beach, FL)

Motorcycles. And hunting in Africa. They change perspective.

1707618693619.jpeg

Two roads diverged…and I chose the road less travelled.

I have never questioned the choice...I am not born to choose the easy path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesterPoco

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.