Model 70 Range Day

Fatback

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
It was a beautiful afternoon in my part of the world so decided I’d do a bit of shooting this afternoon. All off of sticks. Anywhere from 50-150 yards. Shot all 3 of them about 15 times. Pretty happy with the results. Figured the Model 70 enthusiasts would appreciate this. Top to bottom 375 H&H, 300 Win Mag and 30-06. All topped with Leupold scopes, purchased from R&M/Mark. Pretty good way to spend the afternoon. Last 4 shot group was the 375 at 50 yards, as fast as I could work the bolt, get on target and shoot.
IMG_7084.jpeg
IMG_7090.jpeg

You have a fine trio of rifles. Nothing in Africa that can’t be taken with that collection. But I can’t help but notice that the bolt is on the wrong side! :p
Yea thats Weird

The bolt placement makes these real “trophies”. These LH Model 70s are hard to come by for sure. It’s taken me a couple of years to put this battery together. Would like to add a couple more calibers but like @Doug3006 said, I can hunt anything in Africa or anywhere else with this group of rifles. I am debating which of the 300 win or 30-06 to take on my trip this year. I’m leaning toward the ‘06 since I’ll be doing some blind hunting for hyena and it’s a couple inches shorter. I will have some 200 grain AFrames loaded for the ‘06 so I won’t feel under gunned for Kudu or Zebra, especially within a couple hundred yards.

Very nice bunch of rifles! I do wonder why a 300 win and 30-06, especially when your loading 200 A-Frames in the 30-06.

Excellent day!

@Mike Van Horn,

I typically shoot 180 grain projectile out of the ‘06. Just going up to 200 grain bullets for Africa. The 300 win is a bit more flat shooting, so that’s why I have both. I’m sure I rhe 30-06 and 300 win would be interchangeable most of the time. Actually took me quite awhile to find a LH 30-06, so when I started trying to get LH M70s the 300 Win was more readily available and that why I currently have both.

As a lefty with two Winchester I am green with envy! I have a LH .270 and a stainless LH ‘06. I haven’t been able to find the 375 so have a CZ550 instead.

Congratulations on a great set of Model 70's. I'm a big fan of the rifle and have the Safari Express 375H&H, 300 winmag Super Grade Maple, and 270Win Super Grade. I also use Leupold firedot scopes on all of them.

@mauserhunter

The 375 is topped with a VX6 2-12 and the 300 win mag and the 30-06 are both topped with VX5 3-15s. I’m not exactly sure the mounts on the 375, I’ll check and see if I can find any identifying marks and get back to you.

@Nkawu,

The 270 win or a 25-06 Rem are the next ones I’m hoping to acquire. I’ve never seen a LH M70 in stainless. I have a 375 H&H Safari Classic getting currently re-barreled to 416 Rem Mag. So if I can get either a 270 or a 25-06 and then have the 416 Rem Mag then I’ll have all my bases covered for sure when it comes to Model 70s I’m also a big fan of LH Ruger M77 Mark IIs as well.

Whenever a young aspiring hunter asks me to suggest an affordable (but reliable) battery of rifles for an African Safari, I always suggest a pair of Winchester Model 70s:
- One in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum
- One in .30-06 Springfield (or .300 Winchester Magnum if you prefer taking shots at plains game out to longer ranges)

Best value for your money on today's market. And your results show us why, @Fatback

nice Trio! As a fellow lefty I envy your trio, especially that 375.

You have a fine trio of rifles. Nothing in Africa that can’t be taken with that collection. But I can’t help but notice that the bolt is on the wrong side! :p
Simple explanation! Somebody flopped the photos, reversed accidentally!

I definitely talk my left handed friend to get a left handed rifle now he has got all left hand guns and very happy he did

I was able to score another left handed model 70 this week. This one is chambered in 270 Win. Now to decide whether to leave it a 270 or possibly re-barrel. I’ve kicked around the idea of a 7x57 Mauser or a 25-06 Rem. I’ll shoot it first and go from there. Either one should be a pretty straight forward re-barrel project. Decisions, decisions….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieAlo

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double