Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
One of the sad things about getting older is the passing of those icons who made important impressions on one's life. Melanie (Melanie Safka) was a force of nature as a song writer and vocalist. She performed at Woodstock in '69 and had two subsequent great hits - Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) and Brand New Key. There wasn't a male worth the designation that wasn't smitten by her when I was in college in the early seventies. I know she now has angels singing harmony.

Lay Down - with the Edwin Hawkins Singers - 1970 the Netherlands

Last edited:
Beautiful lady, Beautiful Voice RIP

Have "Brand New Key" on my exercise disc.................her lyrics always reminded me of a girl I knew in HS....."don't go too fast, but I go pretty far...."..........RIP
FWB

Yep I was a junior at East Texas State (A&M, Commerce now) and definitely lusted after her. I believe I recall her at the Louisville, Tx festival as well. Lovely lady!
Thanks for the notice Red Leg. I wasn’t aware of her passing.

Hey Joe, you might be getting older but you are still here.
I've seen her mentioned online today. I would not have known her name but I may have heard some songs.
Woodstock was before I was born but I see the attraction.
Take care.

One of the sad things about getting older is the passing of those icons who made important impressions on one's life. Melanie (Melanie Safka) was a force of nature as a song writer and vocalist. She performed at Woodstock in '69 and had two subsequent great hits - Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) and Brand New Key. There wasn't a male worth the designation that wasn't smitten by her when I was in college in the early seventies. I know she now has angels singing harmony.

Lay Down - with the Edwin Hawkins Singers - 1970 the Netherlands
I've always liked that song, another good memory.
I thought it had a cameo in a movie .. "Midnight Cowboy", but that was Leslie Miller, way off.

Last edited:
OK, this is one of the great things about this site. I had never heard of the woman until Red Leg posted. Now? I'll have to look her up and give her music a listen. Why? Because I see people here I respect saying she had a great voice. Seems reason enough to me.

Not to make light of this thread, but I guess this is one of the Boomer versus GenX things? I was two and a half when Woodstock happened. When I see some of you talking about "lusting after" a hot singer in college, for me that was Susanna Hoff of The Bangles, or Belinda Carlisle, both of whom had/have, IMHO, really nice voices and were super hot.

Yes, it is a tremendous sadness of aging.

Read of her death yesterday. Google up her with Lay Down and the EH singers and listened to it several times. What a great song it was and still is. I was about 19 or so. So sad.

Memories, memories, great singer, RIP.

Not to hijack a thread, but "Lay Down" was one of a genre of songs I liked, but could not figure out by ear alone what the lyrics were! My parents would ask what I was trying to sing along with and I could not tell them, with resultant eye rolls. Even if my sister could repeat them accurately neither of us could tell the folks what they meant. A while back there was a commercial depicting people trying to sing "Rocket Man" by Elton John--they were all getting it wrong and then it was revealed that the real lyric was "burning out his fuse up there alone." "Bye Bye Miss American Pie?--the songwriter promised to reveal it if anyone could tell what he had meant by the song. To my knowledge, no one has ever figured it out. None of these kept us from loving the songs or trying to carry the tune, but many of us were just slurring along hoping someone nearby could steer us onto the words, lol.

Thanks Redleg, I hadn't heard of her passing. Great singer and songs. I was too young and wouldn't have been allowed anyway, but sure wish I could have seen her at Woodstock!!

Not to hijack a thread, but "Lay Down" was one of a genre of songs I liked, but could not figure out by ear alone what the lyrics were! My parents would ask what I was trying to sing along with and I could not tell them, with resultant eye rolls. Even if my sister could repeat them accurately neither of us could tell the folks what they meant. A while back there was a commercial depicting people trying to sing "Rocket Man" by Elton John--they were all getting it wrong and then it was revealed that the real lyric was "burning out his fuse up there alone." "Bye Bye Miss American Pie?--the songwriter promised to reveal it if anyone could tell what he had meant by the song. To my knowledge, no one has ever figured it out. None of these kept us from loving the songs or trying to carry the tune, but many of us were just slurring along hoping someone nearby could steer us onto the words, lol.
The best interpretation that I have seen/heard. Enjoy. Always thought of American Pie as an ode to a lost era and our lost innocence.

Last edited:
heard her first and bought her records when I was Navair, when she made the big time. I was in love.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.