Mediums that perform

In early America it was considered a small game rifle.
In early America they didn't have smokeless powder or jacketed bullets. So compared to the 4 and 8 bore rifles that were used for dangerous game my .54 caliber muzzle loader would be considered small. Those numbers don't really apply today.

I agree with Doug that, from an African hunting point of view, a medium is larger than .30 and smaller than .40. From a practical standpoint .338 to .375.
If my history is correct the 375 H&H has been the most popular and most widely available medium for about 75 years now (I'm speaking of it's international acceptance rather than it's introduction).

I find mediums to be useful and interesting but the only reason to use anything but the 375 H&H is because you want a handier rifle or less recoil - or you like to play with hunting rifles - like me.

I agree with Doug that, from an African hunting point of view, a medium is larger than .30 and smaller than .40. From a practical standpoint .338 to .375.
If my history is correct the 375 H&H has been the most popular and most widely available medium for about 75 years now (I'm speaking of it's international acceptance rather than it's introduction).

I find mediums to be useful and interesting but the only reason to use anything but the 375 H&H is because you want a handier rifle or less recoil - or you like to play with hunting rifles - like me.
The 40s are large mediums ending at .435 diameter. Big bores start at .458 caliber. I would start the medium bores at .323/8mm

The 40s are large mediums. Big bores start at .458 caliber. I would start the medium bores at .323/8mm

I think this is probably right, start with the 8x68/.325.

I am torn between two mediums; a highland stalker in 9.3x62 and a custom M70 in .375 H&H. Both have taken plains game and buffalo. I see no practical difference in terminal performance. The 9.3 is handier but the .375 is a stunning rifle and holds a lot of memories from Alaska to Africa. It’s a good thing we are not restricted on how many rifles we can own!

I think this is probably right, start with the 8x68/.325.

I am torn between two mediums; a highland stalker in 9.3x62 and a custom M70 in .375 H&H. Both have taken plains game and buffalo. I see no practical difference in terminal performance. The 9.3 is handier but the .375 is a stunning rifle and holds a lot of memories from Alaska to Africa. It’s a good thing we are not restricted on how many rifles we can own!
I would love to own a Highland Stalker one day! And Amen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fb88cspro

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg