Marine Corps deadliest sniper Chuck Mawhinney dies at 75

The model 70 carried by Carlos in his first tour, 1966, was a competition rifle used by the USMC long range rifle team. At that time they did not have a standard sniper rifle. By the time he did his second tour, 1969, they had adopted the M40 so he used that.
Mawhinney proved the utility of a semi automatic the night in the river, with 16 kills in around 30 seconds. I bet he was glad he left the Remington at home that night.

The m70 was bought as hunting / recreational rifles first and snipers second when they became aware of them . As Maj Land progressed with his sniper instruction courses and school they saw that it was that they had for now .

But it was also a mix of some parts leftover here and there also .
With the Xm40 , later m40 it was built up from ground what they was looking for . Later the m40A1 sported the McMillan stock

Variants in m70 was the scopes the Unertl 8x and some other of 10x , also the Redfield 3-9x40 was used on some m70s

I’ll write some more later

War is hell, but occasionally men rise up that thrive in that environment. Saddened to hear of the passing of another legendary Marine. Hope he was right with God before moving on.

Semper Fi, Chuck. Your legacy lives on in all the Marines you saved and the families they raised as a result of your work.

Funny thing I learned 2 things from this post, I decided to buy the book about Chuck Mahwhinney both because I like that kind of read and he was a fellow Oregonian. The author Jim Lindsay is from a farm family 15 miles from me, he retired from farming and became an author.
never heard of Mahwhinney until this forum and didn't know a retired farmer I kind of knew was an author

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbiGob

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double