Marine Corps deadliest sniper Chuck Mawhinney dies at 75

I can't even imagine 16 head shots in one day. He just says he was protecting his fellow Marines. RIP

Makes me chuckle that he wanted to put off reporting until after deer season... Lakeview is/was near the heart of Oregons great mule deer herds, the Interstate, the Warners, the Steens...
Proud of my fellow Oregonian. Rest in Peace man.

Rest In Peace to a great marksman & true American hero. I wonder if he used the Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 Springfield or the Remington Model 700 in .308 Winchester.

The late Mr. Carlos Hathcock was another extremely talented American sniper who gained much deserved prominence during the Vietnam war.

From what I’ve read he used the M40 sniper rifle which was a Remington

Rest In Peace to a great marksman & true American hero. I wonder if he used the Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 Springfield or the Remington Model 700 in .308 Winchester.

The late Mr. Carlos Hathcock was another extremely talented American sniper who gained much deserved prominence during the Vietnam war.
Didn’t the Marine Corp screw Mr. Hathcock over, something about his medical condition and retirement?

Didn’t the Marine Corp screw Mr. Hathcock over, something about his medical condition and retirement?
Eye of the beholder, I think. Did he think so? Yes.

He had MS and was in extremely poor health. Had he been allowed to stay 55 more days and retire, he'd have gotten 50% retirement pay. Instead he got 100% disability. Had he not been a living legend, he wouldn't have been allowed to hang around that long. He probably got the better end of the deal, but look at how many athletes can't admit when its time to retire.

His legacy will endure forever...

When you read about Hathcock being strapped into his shooting jacket after the horrible burns he received while rescuing fellow Marines from a 114 APC? What dedicated fighting men & women the USA have produced.

And the M14 w/Starlite scope. His 16 in 30 came that way.
I will not argue which rifle he used. I was thinking he used amongst other rifle a push feed M-70. Of course lets not forget the scope mounted .50 cal Ma Deuce. I wonder what the trigger pull was like on that?

I will not argue which rifle he used. I was thinking he used amongst other rifle a push feed M-70. Of course lets not forget the scope mounted .50 cal Ma Deuce. I wonder what the trigger pull was like on that?
That was Hathcock, not Mawhinney, with the 50. And I believe it was still configured with butterfly triggers.

I'm going from memory, but I'm pretty sure that Hathcock carried a pre-64 M70 that was purchased in WWII, and was rebuilt by the armory with a douglas barrel, using an Unertl 8X scope.

After Major Land really established the sniper program in Vietnam, after it had been nearly destroyed. Guys like Hathcock proved its effectiveness, and the USMC then procured the M40 (R700). The post-64 Winchesters were viewed as inferior, which history probably has proven correct.

Last edited:
I know it was Hathcock with the .50. It has been a long time since I have read any thing on Hathcock. Please between old age and extensive chemo my memory isn’t as clear as it once was. Wasn’t there a rifle built (M-40) Rem I think and auctioned. I think it was the NRA, but I could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HalPendley

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double