Mannlicher carbines and double set triggers

Green Chile, I'll say one thing for you, you have good taste when it comes to rifles.:giggle::giggle:
Thanks! Getting a little range time in with some old rimfire favorites today…Kimber Super America, Anschutz 1422 sporter with DST, Colt pre-Woodsman.
IMG_9845.jpeg

I hadn't been to the range in a couple of months. It was nice just to get out and shoot without trying to fix something at the range! Rimfires always make me smile.

Heres some pics of mine.
Steyr MC 7x57
FDOpFh.jpg
DLJ787.jpg
sQubVA.jpg

Steyr Zephyr 22lr , 7x57 MC, L 243
SiyXSm.jpg

Heres another not a traditional Mannlicher, from Europe. But a Winchester M70 in 270, one 476 made in 270. Ruger RSI 7-08
zmgklg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are nice. I don’t have one with optics yet.

Look how trim that 1905 MS is next to the others!
Yeah the CZ is thick. The RSI just doesn't have the same handling characteristics but then I have not found any other rifle that can compare to a Mannlicher Schoenauer, especially the pre 1924 models. They are truly a hunters rifle.

I am glad to see I am not the only person enamored with the Mannlicher style rifles. Top is CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62, middle is 1905 MS in 9x56 and bottom is Ruger 77 RSI in 250-3000 savage. View attachment 457158

Nice piece of wood on that CZ. So much variety on the factory 550 stocks--from really mundane field grade to higher grade with good figure, fiddleback, etc.

Tell us more about the 1908? Looks fantastic.

It's one of the original short actions, the 1903, 1905, and 1910 being the stable mates to it. Chambered in 8x56 but, this one had been reamed to 8x57 in a heavy handed manner that caused excessive headspace. Which is why I got it at a good price. Not a problem for me, as being a handloader, I used 8x60 shortened brass sized down in an 8x57 die just enough to provide a crush fit then fireforming.

I also like full stock rifles. Some wonderful examples above. Thanks for sharing! I have had nothing but good luck with the accuracy of my full stock rifles. For example, this is the very first 100 M group I ever shot with my M-S model GK in 7x64. Using mediocre quality Remington ammunition and a scope with NO magnification and #1 reticle. I think it's good enough to go hunting with.

381.jpg

I like fullstock rifles a lot, double triggers not so much. I'm changing out the triggers on my GK to a single trigger, Thanks to Clodo F. for selling that rare item to me. I will keep the double set triggers so the rifle can be used with either in the future.

IMG_3129.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg

I just purchased my 3rd rifle with double set triggers A 7x57 small ring mauser action guild rifle made in 1940 in Luneburg Germany and for the first time had to adjust them. When I bought it the set trigger(rear) did not set the front trigger but the front pull was about 4lbs. After separating the barreled action from the stock I backed the adjustment screw out until the set trigger worked. This adjustment increased the unset front trigger pull to just under 6 lbs. When set the front trigger pull was about 10oz. I love these old handcrafted rifles.

I love those small-ring Brnos. All one really needs. the MS rifles are also sweet, I just stuck to Mauser actions. And I love full-stock.
CZ550 9.3x62, Oberndorf Mauser 7x57, Brno 22 F (ZG 47 style bolt) 8x57, Brno 21F 8x60
IMG_3024.JPG

Last edited:
I'm curious why you feel the German Trigger is not for DG?

Also, I have two: my 9.5 is really sweet not set, but the 6.5 is a little stiff... does anyone know how to adjust the "non-set" trigger? I know how to adjust the set trigger, but am wondering if there is a way to "lighten up" the normal trigger...

I'm curious why you feel the German Trigger is not for DG?

Also, I have two: my 9.5 is really sweet not set, but the 6.5 is a little stiff... does anyone know how to adjust the "non-set" trigger? I know how to adjust the set trigger, but am wondering if there is a way to "lighten up" the normal trigger...
Not sure about the Manlichers but on the Mausers/Brnos, you would have to change the main spring to softer one. Sometimes you can find different setup where the trigger lever or the release lever are slightly longer or differently shape for more leverage but that is a lot of fiddling. For hunting I too like the simplicity of the original single, two-stage trigger. The dual triggers are nice for when you really have time to set them - as in ambush hunting...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAngloPrussian

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.