Lyman Case Trim Xpress - Which Bushing for .404 Jeffery?

DmacD

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Hello all,
I am new to reloading, and so I am neck deep in learning and tool collecting still. I recently picked up a Lyman power case trimmer, the Case Trim Express, and it has been a pretty easy learning curve so far. The included bushings work nicely with the calibers that I use (6.5x55, 9.3x62), and swapping them out has been a breeze. I would like to start reloading for the .404 Jeffery, and would like to know which bushing is compatible. I contacted Lyman, but the customer service rep had never heard of a .404 Jeffery, and was of no help.
Does anyone here own one of these trimmers, and perhaps has some experience with this case size? Optionally, here is the chart used to determine which bushing to use for a particular caliber. If I cannot find one close, could I just choose the largest and have a gunsmith ream the bushing out to accept the .404 J?

Bushing_Chart2.jpeg

Thanks to you all.

I am tempted to say, try the #20. The RUM cartridges are based off of the 404 Jeffery. HOWEVER, not knowing how the Lyman case trimmer works exactly, I can't say with certainty that it will work.

I think @tarbe uses the Lyman Case Trimmer Express. Maybe Tim will chime in.

It works off of the shoulder. You install the correct bushing, which has a spring behind it, giving it resistance, then press the casing into the bushing like an electric pencil sharpener. The cutting blade can be adjusted for depth and speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ab77buzz

Latest profile posts

I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!