Look what AH made me buy...

She has arrived, and what a sexy beast she is!

Image1663352909.785479.jpg

IMG_5451.JPG

IMG_5447.JPG

The sighting in of the 7x65r barrels, at a 100m, just spectacular!

Image1663353003.312678.jpg

She has arrived, and what a sexy beast she is!

View attachment 489948

View attachment 489949

View attachment 489950

The sighting in of the 7x65r barrels, at a 100m, just spectacular!

View attachment 489951
Wow; nearly a year to the day since your original post! I can't imagine the anxiousness you must have felt at times, and the sense of achievement to finally have it in hand. Congratulations, and that is an absolutely stunning work of art and family heirloom! :)

Very, very , very nice. 88 or 89.
It's an 88...and a beautiful one at that. Congratulations @VertigoBE.

You can tell by the way the stock is joined to the action in the picture below. The back of the 89 (middle rifle) action is straight where it meets the stock. The other two rifles are 88's.
1663359188838.png

The 89's are based on the 88's but were given a more pre-war British boxlock look. Some people didn't take to the Germanic lines painted by the 88's. Personally I find the 88's more attractive, but that's why they make different flavors...for everyone to enjoy.

Last edited:
Thank you all! I'm ecstatic too, I can't wait to take her with me to Africa :)

It's indeed a 89b small frame @jacques smith

With the gun there was also a USB stick with photo's from when Heym was building it, as well as some artwork from the engraver A. Scholz (who also signed his work). Here are a few pictures:

7D49E116-D824-45A5-922B-7F6DA08EDB5B.png

1663360321178.png

1663360359185.jpeg

1663360407600.jpeg

1663360434313.jpeg

Also... I found out about the name of the previous owner.
I believe he is a member on AH, however he has never posted anything.
Through the PM system of AH I reached out to him. I hope he'll respond, so I can let him know his rifle will be in good hands.

Awesome! Amazing rifle!

I hope AH makes you buy me one while AH is at it

Beautiful rifle! Guess waiting a year was like a kid waiting for the next Christmas! Should serve you well on your future hunts.

Congrats VertigoBE!! I am sure you are relieved that beautiful rifle is finally in your possession. Enjoy it in good health.

Congrats and enjoy it.

So finally the stars aligned today between my time availability, finding a gun range of 100m and one that would allow .375H&H rounds.

After passing by the Liège proof house for the registration of the .500 NE, I got to shoot a few confidence rounds from my Heym 88b in 375H&H. I had already shot it with the 7x65r barrels before, but not yet the .375.

I shot a string of 8 rounds total. Starting with 4 softs and then 4 solids. I mainly wanted to see what this double rifle would be capable off at 100meters (=100 yards more or less).

There was no waiting for the barrels to cool down. By round 6, the barrels were too hot to keep prolonged skin contact with the metal. By the last round I could have gotten my finger tips burned.

Felt recoil was more than I expected, sharper. Having to shoot from a bench did not help either of course.

Ammunition used, was Norma Factory PH line 350 grain Round Nose Soft Nose (RNSN) as softs and Norma factory PH line 350 grain Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) as solids.

I added a 1 x 1 inch indicator as well to the target.

1698322619408.jpeg

All in all, I'm quite happy with the result. I'm no amazing shot to begin with. However the first 4 rounds clearly show what the rifle is capable off. #3 and #4 are particularly satisfying. As well as the #5 and #6.

The last two rounds, I was almost more focusing on not getting my finger tips burned, so this was clearly on me.

@Frederik : I won't be able to use the rifle as an excuse for bad shooting... :D :D

(ps: the hole I made a cross through, is not me trying to ameliorate my results, I actually am not sure what happened. I went to hang up a virgin target, by the time I got back this hole as well as another one to the right (out of frame) had appeared... Seems like someone else on the range got confused)

Looking good. What is the weight of your double?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrenGril

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.