Lion hunting SA

Thanks for that. I believe you are the only person on the forum who has done both as a comparison.
Now wait just a minute! I will have you know that I have done a wild lion hunt and in my younger days, I used to hunt captive two-legged cougars. My first wife was even eight years older than me! But that was catch and release. Does that count? :P Gorgeous::K Flowers:

You can go on a CBL lion hunt with an honest outfit that knows what they are selling and ate straight up about it.

You can go on a similar hunt but with someone who's lost track of the truth and claims it's something different than it is.

Then you can reply to a thread such as this.... Naw there are no real wild lion hunts in RSA.... Get a message from an outfitter telling you, very politely, how you are mistaken and he happens to have a real wild lion hunt available at a price comparable to a CBL (at the time, before the ban). Check him out and he has a great reputation. Meet in person and write a check for a deposit. The story is that he has this fenced area bordering an area that is open to Kruger. Also used for photo Safaris. There are two male lions that somehow got in there! They are active and hunting.... However the outfitter is hanging bait for them in a pan with water so he has trail cam pics!!!

Get there and first night in camp you hear lions roaring.... very near.

Excitement builds!

Head out and find lion tracks that first morning!

Pull up the water hole and the two lions run off across the road. They are right there in the bushes watching as we disembark. Could have shot one right then and there! But let's wait, get them on bait and see what we have. We hang bait and as we drive off, the lions trot right back for their lunch. But one is very young. The other limping and in very tough shape. Appears to have a broken leg. This won't do, can't shoot one of these and post pics. So I replied that was fine, I booked an extra week beyond this hunt and will just go do a CBL lion.... What I didn't realize at the time was that there was no way an outfitter with his hooks into you is ever going to let you slip away and spend money elsewhere that he sees as his!

So a plan is made. He has a friend who often has these damned wild lions coming in through his fence to dine on his plains game. We can get a permit to hunt there! So we bait and call and one morning soon after, as I'm wanting to get going as we are about to be burning daylight.... we can't leave camp yet because of some bullshit reason. Then a phone call and we must leave right now and damned near can feel the pistons coming through the hood of the Cruiser it is wound up so tight speeding to the hpoes a lion is on bait!

We get there and the PH does everything the opposite of what a PH would do on a wild dangerous game hunt. Of course I didn't recognize this due to my lack of experience.... But he goes way overboard trying to make me nervous and overly excited.

Strangely there is a new guy present and he's carrying a rifle... he's with the land owners son (the lion hair fence guy) and they are on a property road pointing about 300 yards towards where a bait was hung by some pretty thick wire. There is a lion! A male with an ok mane. O ask who is this other guy? PH is hurrying along to get the sticks set up and brushes it off. Nobody, just a friend of the owners.

Can you shoot from here! Seriously, when I asked the wisdom of baiting there you had this elaborate plan of how we can stalk around behind and get close? Well, come on we'll just walk right at him down this road.... so we do, the lion could care less. Look he pulled the bait down! Shoot him quickly! We are closer so the sticks go up and I shoot it through the chest as it is perfectly broadside. It spins and I shoot again iand it drops stone dead.

We approach cautiously. Admiring the lion and i notice there are zero ticks. Everything else we shot was covered in ticks. He had walked in some mud but nothing caked in his fur, beautifully clean animal. He does have a scare on his face which many members on here claim to prove it's a wild lion. Things just don't feel right. I inspect the bait and the wire was cut, not broken. I'm a livestock farmer and have been all my life, I know these things.

The son and stranger come over to congratulate me and I'm suspicious so I shake the guys hand and say thanks for delivering him, he nods an acknowledgement and says he made a long drive all night! At which the PH gets between us and the son gets the guy out of there.
As we are leaving I notice the bakkie with an enclosed trailer and inquire. I flat out ask if they brought that lion in early that morning or last night... No no no.

I inquire with the outfitter to which I get denials.

I cannot prove anything beyond doubt. As I write this, I don't know for sure? But I do know if I had done a CBL hunt that I'd know what I had. And I know I have doubts, regret, and an unwanted amount of scheptism.

And I know what I have from the Tanzania hunt! A true old warrior lion who lived his life wild free in some of the real remaining wilderness. His demeanor was that of a king of his domain. I'll choose to experience more of that;)
Thank you for sharing this. Honesty on a negative experience is needed more often on here.

Rule #1 never hunt a 2 legged cougar with a ear tag. Sometimes they have the tag removed, but it does leave a hole.

You are correct. Just as not all CBL hunting is created equal. Just curious, have you hunted game of any sort inside of a fence? And I'm not being argumentative with you, I just want to know where you stand on hunting on fenced game ranches. Do you believe that all hunting besides free range hunting should be banned? If so, I understand your argument. You are simply opposed to hunting any animal under such conditions. And that's fine. But if anyone can condemn CBL hunting while condoning hunting PG and Buffalo under indentical conditions, I just can't understand that argument. That's all.
I, like you, do appreciate the conversation, and am always open to discuss these topics with anyone who is willing to have a sane, logical discussion. I just fail to see the logic in some of the responses we've seen on this thread.
TOBY458, I am one that has never hunted any game in a ”fence” and turned down invitations from friends to go to SA and join them on hunts there. My friends loved it, took nice animals and filled their Trophy rooms in just two trips. Upon their return and talking to them it was clear they completely enjoyed the experience and had only great things to say, they talk about the hunts to this day and I know they have Life Long memories from it. However, it just was of No interest to me and I later went to Tanzania, paid more $$ and came home with fewer animals - but that hunt appealed to me - “Me” and my personal definition of “hunting”. Regarding my 3 friends that hunted SA - I would described 2 as very ethical, one of them even passed up a trophy Warthog because it was very near the perimeter fence and he couldn’t justify shooting it. As for my 3rd friend, well he’s just a “good time”, lots of laughs/Life of the Party….but he‘d shoot anything—-anywhere—-anyway - if he hit a good buck with his car He’d still get it Mounted ! There are many contradictions regarding what Hunters consider fair/ethical and baiting or hounds are just a few already mentioned. I have opinions but certainly No moral high ground. Lots of good guys on this forum and I enjoy reading their posts and learning from their experiences.

There are more wild, wild managed and problem lions hunted in SA than anyone would acknowledge or admit because of the attention it receives.

I am thankful for the opportunities I have had and hope to have more.

And if you wonder how.... the permit system actually differs for a captive bred or wild/wild managed/PAC.

Happy hunting!

What are you talking about farmed animals (other than lions), majority are herds left to fend for themselves....?

There are more wild, wild managed and problem lions hunted in SA than anyone would acknowledge or admit because of the attention it receives.
Interesting. Something similar around dealing with problem elephants. Not broadcast but necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.