AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out if this scope might be suitable on a Dangerous Game rifle - specifically my BRNO ZKK 602 chambered in .404 Jeffery. My main concern would be durability. Would this scope stand up to the rigours of the .404 Jeffery recoil?
The magnification seems about right, and I really like the look of that lighted reticle. The price on this is within my budget, as it is a used scope, but I know of its history, and it was not abused. In fact, it has not seen much use at all.
I live in Canada, so options on available Dangerous Game scopes are extremely limited - unless I completely blow my budget on one of the high end European brands. Even then, if I opt to go that route, delivery time could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, to maybe never.
Any opinions out there?

Give Leupold a call, I'd be willing to bet their answer would be the best advice you are likely to get. Their phone number is 1-800 - LEUPOLD

Im certain it would stand up to 404 Jeff recoil. Ive got both a VX Freedom 1.5-4x and a VX5 1-5x on a 375 H&H and a 416 Taylor respectively.. have a LOT of rounds through both rifles, and have never had a problem with either optic..

Im just wondering why youre looking at the VX4.5 Service Rifle option as opposed to the VX5 1-5x option. The VX5 is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper, has the same glass as the 4.5, same eye relief, .. has an illumination option, has a CDS turret.. etc..

the Service Rifle optic was specifically designed for competition shooting.. where the VX5 is more geared toward hunting..

Both will absolutely work..

For me though, I'd keep the additional $200 in my pocket and go with the VX5 (if thats an option for you)..

Im certain it would stand up to 404 Jeff recoil. Ive got both a VX Freedom 1.5-4x and a VX5 1-5x on a 375 H&H and a 416 Taylor respectively.. have a LOT of rounds through both rifles, and have never had a problem with either optic..

Im just wondering why youre looking at the VX4.5 Service Rifle option as opposed to the VX5 1-5x option. The VX5 is a couple of hundred bucks cheaper, has the same glass as the 4.5, same eye relief, .. has an illumination option, has a CDS turret.. etc..

the Service Rifle optic was specifically designed for competition shooting.. where the VX5 is more geared toward hunting..

Both will absolutely work..

For me though, I'd keep the additional $200 in my pocket and go with the VX5 (if thats an option for you)..
Thanks for the reply, and your opinion mdwest.
The simple answer of why I'm looking at the VX4.5 is availability and economics. The VX4.5 can be had for $1300-$1400 CDN, used, (depending on my negotiating skills) There is a VX5 1-5x new, available in Alberta, but will be $2200 CDN by the time it gets to my door. Due to availability of stock in Canada, these never go on sale, retailers just don't have to. I cannot import an illuminated scope from the USA, this is somehow illegal. I have tried. The stock on hand in Canada is simply appalling, and the timeline to order anything is equally appalling.

The simple answer of why I'm looking at the VX4.5 is availability and economics. The VX4.5 can be had for $1300-$1400 CDN, used, (depending on my negotiating skills) There is a VX5 1-5x new, available in Alberta, but will be $2200 CDN by the time it gets to my door. Due to availability of stock in Canada, these never go on sale, retailers just don't have to. I cannot import an illuminated scope from the USA, this is somehow illegal. I have tried. The stock on hand in Canada is simply appalling, and the timeline to order anything is equally appalling.

WOW thats expensive!

MSRP on the VX4.5 here brand new is $1499 (USD).. it can be had a good bit cheaper than that though.. MSRP on the VX5 is $1199 (USD) brand new..

Using the leupold VIP program the VX5 is $863...

Most people can get the VX5 at a price somewhere between the VIP pricing and MSRP here in the US if they look around a bit (and dont have access to VIP)..

The Leupold scope you have picked out will serve you well. The VX-5, VX-6, VX-4.5 and even the VX-3 scopes will stand up to 460WBY recoil...the 404J should be a walk in the park.

Good choice going with an illuminated reticle too. Always nice to be able to pick up the crosshairs on a dark animal standing in the shade.

@DmacD
I'm sure one of our forum members could source you a VX5 and mail it up to you with out any problems or the long wait time.
Bob

The Leupold scope you have picked out will serve you well. The VX-5, VX-6, VX-4.5 and even the VX-3 scopes will stand up to 460WBY recoil...the 404J should be a walk in the park.

Good choice going with an illuminated reticle too. Always nice to be able to pick up the crosshairs on a dark animal standing in the shade.
Yes, BeeMaa,
I know what I want; 1-4, 1-5 or 1-6 magnification range, a simple set of crosshairs ( I really like the German #4) and a lighted reticle of some kind. I don't want junk, but cannot afford the top of the line either. Something mid range or better than mid range if on sale.
This seems to be a tall order here in Canada.

Last edited:
@DmacD
I'm sure one of our forum members could source you a VX5 and mail it up to you with out any problems or the long wait time.
Bob
The authorities in Canada don't care what gets mailed to me, as long as they get their taxes out of it first. The same scopes are sold here, but at a much inflated rate. It's the U.S. authorities that will stop a scope at the border. Something about a lighted reticle gets their panties in a wad, it seems.

All scopes can fail even the most expensive European ones. I put a VX 3 1.75 -6 on a 375 RUM and it failed within 10 shots sent it back and it failed again. Told Leupold to replace it and to their credit they did and sent me a bore sighting device to compensate me for my troubles. A great little tool. The new one never failed!

My point 1. Test your DGR scope. If it does not fail within a box of ammo you will probably be good. 2. Leupold warranty can be relied upon!

I think a lighted reticle is brilliant for a DGR scope especially for Cape Buffalo! For my eyes the Leupold reticle is too fine for a DGR scope but a firedot would totally overcome that. Considering that the VX3 illuminated is significantly more than the non illuminated if you are going this way I'd suggest paying bit more and getting the VX5 illuminated.

Personally I prefer FFP in a DGR scope with lighted reticle. You'd have to go second hand for that and be limited to a 4x zoom ratio. The Germans had the right idea! They are so fast at targeting. My 404J has a S&B 1-4 X 24.

Good luck in your search.

The authorities in Canada don't care what gets mailed to me, as long as they get their taxes out of it first. The same scopes are sold here, but at a much inflated rate. It's the U.S. authorities that will stop a scope at the border. Something about a lighted reticle gets their panties in a wad, it seems.
@DmacD
You think that's bad.
I couldn't even get a set of OPEN SIGHTS for my 92 Winchester sent to Australia from the USA. They probably thought I was going to build a semi out rifle with them.
Fortunately one of the members sent them to me without issue.
Bob

@DmacD
You think that's bad.
I couldn't even get a set of OPEN SIGHTS for my 92 Winchester sent to Australia from the USA. They probably thought I was going to build a semi out rifle with them.
Fortunately one of the members sent them to me without issue.
Bob
I had to do the same with a magazine floor plate for a CZ 550. The only reasonable option was to have the father of a fried receive it at his vacation home in Arizona, and bring it back with him in the spring.

I sold a VX 4.5 with the lighted reticle about a year ago. Used it for about a year in High Power competition with few issues. Shooting an FX 4.5 now. Like it also.

The VX 4.5 should be able to take the recoil. One thing to keep in mind is there are no caps on the turrets. The wind age knob can be set at zero and “locked”. You can set the elevation and lock it where it cannot go lower.
However the adjustment knobs will always be exposed.

Last edited:
On other note, I would maybe have some concern with the light on the reticle under heavy recoil. My scope always tracked fine and returned to zero but the light would go out from time to time. The FX has no lighted reticle.

Last edited:
I sold a VX 4.5 with the lighted reticle about a year ago. Used it for about a year in High Power competition with few issues. Shooting an FX 4.5 now. Like it also.

The VX 4.5 should be able to take the recoil. One thing to keep in mind is there are no caps on the turrets. The wind age knob can be set at zero and “locked”. You can set the elevation and lock it where it cannot go lower.
However the adjustment knobs will always be exposed.

Ah, I had not considered the exposed turrets. Maybe an issue, maybe not.
Thanks for the heads-up on the possible lighted reticle as well Mike70560. I have two Leupold VX-R and one Meopta scope with lighted reticles, and neither of then cause me any issue, but the heaviest calibre is only a 9.3x62 Mauser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OscarMorri

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek