Leopard Setup

Just kicking around ideas on what is the ideal rifle caliber and scope setup for leopard hunting. Experienced leopard hunters please chime in.
300 WinMag with a 3x you name the rest scope. Distances will in most cases not be too far. Shot mine with the outfitters 9.3 x 62 mounting a Leupold VX 3 scope. See Avatar. Listen to @IvW as he knows what he is talking about. Different countries require different calibers.

I know it's obvious but also listen to your PH and his recommendations. Yea they have a lot of opinions but also a lot of experience. Life is too short to get sideways with the pro who is guiding you. If you show up prepared and flexible to try this plan or that plan, it will go just fine.

You sir have a great memory!!! When my dad died he gave me his favorite rifle which is a Ruger 30-06. Nostalgia hit me and I want to feel him watching me as I take my leopard something he would have never dreamed of
That’s the best reason to use that rifle. Best wishes on your hunt.

Heym 88B Double in 9.3x74R, scope Swaro Z6i 1.7X-10X X 42. Distance a tad over 50 meters. One shot, dead before it hit the ground.

1711346289091.jpeg

lots of countries follow a 375 (9.3x 62) minimum. But in places that allow smaller calibers the use of a 270,7mm, 30-06, and 300 does just fine, shot placement is everything. You want a Bullet that will open up properly but not one that just explodes if you hit bone.

I shot a leopard in Zambia couple years back w Johnny Duplooys in Zambia, he made a little sling from parachord and it had my gun rock solid, we did the same for hyena, parachord was tied to roof of blind , dropped down and double looped around my scope and back up to roof, when we slipped into blind, i just slipped it over my scope and it was perfectly centered above the bait, very simple, quiet and worked perfectly, 42 minutes later the cat showed and it was over, Johnny has done it a few times

Just kicking around ideas on what is the ideal rifle caliber and scope setup for leopard hunting. Experienced leopard hunters please chime in.
My most recent leopard hunt featured what I can honestly say is an unbeatable setup. I was shooting my Blaser R8 in .300Win loaded with 180g Swift Scirocco. This was topped with the Swarovski Z8 3.5-28x50 which is the best glass and is also illuminated. The Swift Scirocco is a soft bullet that I have little use for except in this case. It expands quickly and predictably and with the .300Win the effectiveness can not be questioned. Most have not had the pleasure of owning or even looking through a Z8. I was in that camp until relatively recently. There is no question the Z8 glass is the best you can buy for a cat hunt.
Here is a video showing the effectiveness of my setup:

My most recent leopard hunt featured what I can honestly say is an unbeatable setup. I was shooting my Blaser R8 in .300Win loaded with 180g Swift Scirocco. This was topped with the Swarovski Z8 3.5-28x50 which is the best glass and is also illuminated. The Swift Scirocco is a soft bullet that I have little use for except in this case. It expands quickly and predictably and with the .300Win the effectiveness can not be questioned. Most have not had the pleasure of owning or even looking through a Z8. I was in that camp until relatively recently. There is no question the Z8 glass is the best you can buy for a cat hunt.

This is awesome video - thanks

On my Leopard hunt in Zim last year (unsuccessful due to dry late season) I took a Pre-64 M70 Super Grade in .375 H&H. This rifle is topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44, and I was planning to use 270gr Core-Lokts. The Core-Lokts shoot about a 1/2" higher at 100yds vs the 300gr TBBC or A-Frames that I normally shoot. The TBBC/A-Frames/Woodleigh Hydros all have the same POA/POI.

On my next try I'll either use the same set-up or am debating swapping the scope for a Swaro Z6 1-6, or Schmidt & Bender 1-4. It's also possible I choose to go with a smaller 7x57 type rifle, but I'm leaning towards the trusty workhorse that is my 375.

Nice video

lots of countries follow a 375 (9.3x 62) minimum. But in places that allow smaller calibers the use of a 270,7mm, 30-06, and 300 does just fine, shot placement is everything. You want a Bullet that will open up properly but not one that just explodes if you hit bone.
What countries require a .375 for leopard?

Heym 88B Double in 9.3x74R, scope Swaro Z6i 1.7X-10X X 42. Distance a tad over 50 meters. One shot, dead before it hit the ground.

View attachment 595315
Tanks: I’m liking that Lefty stock — adds value to the gun and especially for a “lefty”!!

What countries require a .375 for leopard?
I was under the impression Tanzania required .375 even for leopard. But saw a few post in here that say otherwise. Now I’m curious!

Zimbabwe have a 7 mm/ 3 kJ limit for leopard which is a 270 upwards. As much as we all like to pontificate over the best German glass and the perfect calibre. Let's be honest, that is just about who has the biggest weiner.

Any rifle in the 7mm class that can hold 1 inch groups at 50 m will do the job. The shot is all about the nut behind the butt. So pick a suitable rifle and go practice, because that will make a difference.

I would use my 3006 with a 180 or 200 gr swift aframe. I would also use some of the quicker expanding softs but avoid monometals.

I was there!!! Beautiful cat by Philip and York!!! I think we had a two day celebration. lol!!!
Ha, yes we had a big party and took the next day off. We were enjoying the swimming pool and not getting much hunting done that day!

I was under the impression Tanzania required .375 even for leopard. But saw a few post in here that say otherwise. Now I’m curious!
I've never heard of it.

Last summer I used 300 win mag with 200 grain A-frames slow down to 2700 ft./s as that was recommended by Bill at swift who has a lot of experience with shooting leopards. It was a one shot kill at 48 yards and I used a 3 x 18 x 56 VX six leupold after testing multiple scopes in low light conditions and found it to be the best even considering a couple of Schmidt and benders and Swarovski scopes I have. Perfect cause I used on several plains game and Baboons all one shot kills
Headed to Capriva in 7 weeks for another cat and non-exportable trophy Cape Buffalo with a Heym 450/400 with Swift A-frames A 375 H&H with 300 A-frames for backup. This combo has never failed me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you