Laser on a Dangerous Game rifle... Has anyone tried?

Kano

AH veteran
Reaction score
Articles
Has anyone tried a laser on a DG rifle for close-up work?

Seeing that most professionals in SF/LE who see close-quarter action do have lasers installed, and seem to quite like the setup for the advantages it gives in quick, close, confused situations, it would make sense that the same advantages would be beneficial in dangerous game hunting, especially when things go pear-shaped.

So my question is, has anybody tried that? And if yes, how did it turn out?

Has anyone tried a laser on a DG rifle for close-up work?

Seeing that most professionals in SF/LE who see close-quarter action do have lasers installed, and seem to quite like the setup for the advantages it gives in quick, close, confused situations, it would make sense that the same advantages would be beneficial in dangerous game hunting, especially when things go pear-shaped.

So my question is, has anybody tried that? And if yes, how did it turn out?

I use quite a few of these on other, lesser recoiling guns. Crimson Trace 206 Green. Green is a must for any outdoor use. On the rifles I am using them on, they are superb for the purpose intended. I have used them at night, with a light to dispatch several night critters with extreme success.

DSCN4073-X2.jpg

So a few years ago I had exactly the same thoughts as you are having and decided to give it a go.

I had a spare rifle laying about, it just happened to be a 475 B&M. Recoil levels are about what a 458 Winchester would be. I always use Leupold QRW Bases on these guns, so I mounted it on the forward base to try it out.
DSC04451-XL.jpg

They are extremely light, and very "plastic". On the lesser rifles, mostly semi guns, I always have backup iron sights and on some rifles another optic as well. So these guns always have TWO, if not Three sight systems. Batteries also do not last very long, but are easy to replace. But if you find you have dead batteries in the field, you absolutely must have backup sights, iron at the minimum, and I would prefer iron and optic backup.

In addition I mention "plastic" above, and what I mean is I don't think they are very sturdy for bush use. I can see being in a rough area, banging this against a tree, rock, or riding in a vehicle and getting busted off rather easily. Now, I am sure there are more robust systems than this that would handle the mission. I choose this one on the guns I use because they are light, and they are small. I can have irons and optics that I can see over the top of these when mounted.

The way this one is mounted on this gun for this test work there are no options for other sights, and that would just not be acceptable on a DGR setup. I cannot see the irons and I am using my optic mount for the Trace. Should one find that this was viable, one would have to do a mount to allow for backup sights. My purpose here was just to see if I could get the gun to shoot accurately enough at DG Ranges and if recoil would break the mount, or the Trace.

DSC04454-X2.jpg

DSC04477-X2.jpg

After 3 rounds to get it sighted in at 25 yards it put 3 more rounds in the same hole, and about as dead center as you can ask for...............

DSC04473-L.jpg

At 50 yards of course the laser dot gets bigger and more difficult to be totally precise, but even with that it shot extremely well.

DSC04479-L.jpg

My opinion is that it absolutely would be a viable option, but the system would need to be robust enough to handle field conditions. One would have to figure out a way to mount it so as to have one or two backup sight systems, for that "just in case moment", sure as hell you get to the point you want to use, and the damn battery goes dead, or some other malfunction, you need backup sights. One neat condition I have is that you don't have to continuously check for sight in, you can do this with your backup sight systems, they will show if the laser is not sighted properly. On lesser guns I have not really had any issues with holding POI with these.

I never really gave it a proper working out, I maybe fired 50 rounds at max, I never experienced any issues with it. I also never took it to the field. But it was fun to play with regardless and proved that with the right system it could be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael, thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

I gave some thought on how to set up a laser on my rifle: I have a piece of picatinny rail under the barrel, but that's for my light. A light/laser combo would add complication and reduce battery life. A possibility would be to add another piece of pic rail on side of the forearm, but this would look downright ugly, and probably get in the way since that rifle has a shortened forearm.

I'm tinkering with the idea to "roll my own", buy a green laser diode module and fabricate the battery container/switch units. The advantages would be cost, integration on the stock (separate components are smaller, and I could wire tem separately). We'll see...

IMG_4607.jpeg

241C9C08-3734-4E79-BA4E-7AA3EDCBBC9B.jpeg

What do you perceive the benefit would be over a red dot sight? The popularity of lasers in the military has more to do with passive aiming with NVGs, communicating to and signaling other parties, etc. If you're day time hunting dangerous game with a heavier recoiling rifle, wouldn't it be best to be shouldering the weapon properly? If that's the case, I don't see how a laser would beat out the RDS for preference.

All that being said, I'm all for trying new ideas and seeing what does and does not work, so please don't take this as trying to discourage you from figuring it out.

Not sure of the legalities of it all in Africa but this is what I know from culling deer on a damage permit in the US.

Deer have a much harder time seeing red than green. The sight of a green beam sent them running. On the other hand the red laser they either couldn’t see or didn’t care about. This includes putting the dot right where they were looking and wiggling it.

Could this translate to the antelope and other species in Africa, I’m not sure…but it’s something to consider.

Not sure of the legalities of it all in Africa but this is what I know from culling deer on a damage permit in the US.

Deer have a much harder time seeing red than green. The sight of a green beam sent them running. On the other hand the red laser they either couldn’t see or didn’t care about. This includes putting the dot right where they were looking and wiggling it.

Could this translate to the antelope and other species in Africa, I’m not sure…but it’s something to consider.

Have noticed the same thing with blue lights vs red.

Interesting... I'll get a couple of laser pointers in red and green, and try that out with different animals.

Maybe I could get a lion to chase a dot like a house cat? :giggle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoniaMedla

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.