Kudu mounts? Low-ish ceiling

By chance do you know made the form? (McKenzie Taxidermy Supplies, Jim Allred Taxidermy Supplies, Jetz Taxidermy Supplies, etc...)

Thank you
No idea

Most likely Research mannikins-sculpted by Bill Lancaster

We have 8 ft ceilings.
IMG_0839.JPG

Thanks folks, much appreciated! They’re huge. I think she’ll have a heart attack to be honest if it ever clicks and I bring one back.

BigSteve that looks a really nice mount! Like the skin on the base too.

I think our living room is 8 feet - the one room I’d probably get the most flack for.. That mount must be near 6foot base to tip is it?

Thanks again guys! Just great to get some realistic planning

Thanks folks, much appreciated! They’re huge. I think she’ll have a heart attack to be honest if it ever clicks and I bring one back.

BigSteve that looks a really nice mount! Like the skin on the base too.

I think our living room is 8 feet - the one room I’d probably get the most flack for.. That mount must be near 6foot base to tip is it?

Thanks again guys! Just great to get some realistic planning
Kudu.jpg

This isn’t likely to be our forever home. Is it practical to fit a kudu into a 2M heigh room on a low base?
Or will it likely be going downstairs? And will it even fit in a 2.5M room??

Here is my kudu on a "crate" pedestal mount which was a friend built in his workshop. I've posted this photo previously, but without the dimensions. Height of the crate: 69 cm; height to horn tip: 221 cm. That places the kudu's eyes slightly below mine. So slightly higher overall than you need to fit in your 2m room.

The keys to making it fit are the angle of the head (and thus horn height) and the height of the pedestal. My suggestion would be to reduce the height of the pedestal base to fit your mount in the desired pose.

Or just shoot a kudu with shorter horns. :D

Kudu completed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is my kudu on a "crate" pedestal mount which was a friend built in his workshop. I've posted this photo previously, but without the dimensions. Height of the crate: 69 cm; height to horn tip: 221 cm. That places the kudu's eyes slightly below mine. So slightly higher overall than you need to fit in your 2m room.

The keys to making it fit are the angle of the head (and thus horn height) and the height of the pedestal. My suggestion would be to reduce the height of the pedestal base to fit your mount in the desired pose.

Or just shoot a kudu with shorter horns. :D

Amazing gents! Thank you very much. Certainly I can fit one into the house that’s for sure. 220cm total mount seems to be the ball park.

What I need to decide is whether I want the mount at eye level or.. on a low base so it fits anywhere but might not be in its best position.

I do like a sneak pose so that might be a little lower?

Kudu work well in a variety of mounts from Euro's to life size, have seen mutlipe of the lower based pedistal mounts on here and I second that beacuse you can always move them to fit where you want them, they can fit in a corner and will be eye level with you. I have two Kudu shoulder mounts but curently waiting on a pedistal for this very reason to be able to move it around and fit it into tighter spaces.

Well folks, I’m sure this has been asked numerous times on here but I’m needing some real life experience.

The ‘reloading’ room where anything boy related can go in without many questions asked is 2M high.
I’d a red stag pedestal mount that I was really pleased with a couple of years ago. Detachable antlers for ease of transport. Blooming mount wouldn’t fit in in the room by 2-3” with the antlers on - the other half did take this very well. It now resides in the living room which is 2.5M high.

This isn’t likely to be our forever home. Is it practical to fit a kudu into a 2M heigh room on a low base?
Or will it likely be going downstairs? And will it even fit in a 2.5M room??

Appreciate a really low base might make the mount look stupid as well but I do like the idea of the stands as they are more portable where wall space might be limited.

Thanks!
Here’s my two..Granted I have higher ceilings but maybe you will get an idea.
D41C7118-462C-4B33-A8FD-8FDF00F1BE91.jpeg
53350C81-7A4B-4822-B944-A6EBF087E98E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of base is that if you don’t mind me asking. Beautiful!

It’s the trunk of an African Teak polished and finished. I’ve never seen another like it.

I'm still waiting on mine from RSA but as others mentioned, you could do a pedestal. I am a huge fan of mounts at eye level, provided people keep their hands off them. The ones high up on vaulted ceilings are super impressive and really "royal" looking but you don't get a chance to really appreciate the mount. Mine are actually going up high on a vaulted ceiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazukoWink

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.